PDA

View Full Version : WSM 22.5-Inch vs Weber 22.5-Inch One-Touch Gold Kettle Grill

patriotn11
07-12-2009, 11:15 AM
this is what I have, the smoker I have is like the one on the left. and love it

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=44627 (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44627)

My question, is for smaller cooking

hello,
Thanks for all your expertise, I just order the New 1 22-1/2" WSM for 2009 and got it at buy.com for $321.00 clear, free delivery and no tax. I live in San Antonio Texas, I also have a larger size smoker with firebox attached. The big smoker take alot to work and I wanted something easier to fall back to. I had a Weber kettle grill and a brickman bullet years ago and loved them, the meat cooked it the bullet was excellent. Well now 26 years later and more experienced, I bought this WSM 22.5-Inch cause the deal looked good, as usual I jumped the gun before thinking. Hears my story, as I said, I want something I can use on the new 16x12 wood deck I just built cause the steel smoker I have is about a zillion pounds and I want to show off my new deck with a Weber, years ago I could only afford the brickman and see your stories on the Weber, make my mouth water looking at all the options in cooking. OK now, I want to cook burger and steaks, quickly if needed, I cant do the on the WSM can I, or should I cancel the WSM and get the Kettle 22". I sure would like to know if I can smoke and grill on the WSM cause the deal seems good.

Thanks

Michael
San Antonio, Texas

BBQ Bandit
07-12-2009, 11:24 AM
First notion... good news/bad news.

Congrats on getting the New WSM and welcome to the BBQ madness.

One word of caution... Please arm yourself with a nearby fire extinguisher when considering wood decks as a platform to cook on. There have been too many (even one is too many) accidents involving wood decks adding fuel to a hot bed of coals.

Consider getting "grill mats" (4 mats are better) at a local big box store as a minor preventative measure.

jack040806
07-12-2009, 02:01 PM
You definitely can do some higher temps on your wsm just take out the center section and put them more or less right above the fire, make sure you go lighter on the coals. Personally I would keep the wsm and search around on CL for a cheap kettle for doing steaks and all.

zydecopaws
07-12-2009, 03:14 PM
You definitely can do some higher temps on your wsm just take out the center section and put them more or less right above the fire, make sure you go lighter on the coals. Personally I would keep the wsm and search around on CL for a cheap kettle for doing steaks and all.

What he said... You can also take out the center section and put the top grill right on the fire ring in the bottom section (again, be careful with the coals). I did this once to grill veggies and pineapple after the meat was done and resting; worked great.

patriotn11
07-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Thanks all,

Now, I want the WSM and the one touch Weber kettle.

zydecopaws,

You said you have

Shiny new Weber Performer (couldn't pass up the deal)
Weber One-Touch Gold (still in the box)

Why both and which of the 2 is best! :idea: :eek: :confused:

Thanks
Michael
San Antonio, Texas

FatDad
07-12-2009, 05:33 PM
In my humble opinion.
The WSM is a "Smoker" and the 22.5 Kettle is a "Grill" for your steaks and burgers. Not to say that grilling on WSM can't be done. I just do not do it.
I personally have both and use them as such. I have used the kettle for
short time offset heat smoking but for the most part I use the WSM to smoke. When my Bandera finally passed away I went with WSM and never looked back. Look at your cooking capacity and how much you use the horizontal smoker and also the convience of the WSM.
You might consider selling the big one and buying a WSM to cook on the patio. Then buy a kettle for grilling.
:wink: Go ahead and get both.
Look at this website and enjoy:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

OR there is another alternative.
There is a product out there called the "Cajun Bandit" that you can convert a 22.5 kettle to a smoker. I looks just like a WSM when finished.
The "kit" costs $175.00.
I haven't talked to anyone that has done this but it looks pretty good.
Here is the link to take a look:
http://www.cajunbandit.com/

Hope this helps you in your decision.
Mark

smokeandbeer
07-12-2009, 10:19 PM

Second that. I got my One Touch Platinum for $50 on CL and it was like new. Perfect for the wood deck with the ash catcher and all.