PDA

View Full Version : First ribs in probably 20 years

MOS95B
07-11-2009, 02:39 PM
The Missus decided to suprise me and picked up some Hormel ribs at the grocery store.

She then proceeded to hog the camera taking pics of her gardens.

This is the first time in about 20 years that I've even tried ribs. Tweaked and reground some Famous Dave's Rib Rub. Let that soak in for a couple of hours. Then, I grabbed a book and some iced tea and let them smoke over kinsford briquettes and lump with two chunks of pecan for 3 1/2 hours on my grill.

All I got was a pic of a loaded plate, but they were pretty danged good. Decent smoke ring. Good smoke flavor (would have preferred hickory those) and a nice sauce glaze.

http://www.mos95b.com/New/-BBQ%20PRON/P1000011.JPG

Quick question. I forgot about the "skin" on the underside. Not totally inedible, but kind of annoying. Can that be removed before cooking?

Kevin
07-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Quick question. I forgot about the "skin" on the underside. Not totally inedible, but kind of annoying. Can that be removed before cooking?

Yep, I get it started at a corner and then grip it with a paper towel and pull gently. Many other techniques are around. This one works for me.

Fine looking ribs. Congrats.

Jaberwabee
07-11-2009, 02:53 PM
I use a oyster shucker knife to get under the membrane and start in the middle and wrok out to the sides. I can usually get it all in one piece. Nice looking ribs, why the 20 year wait?

Hofy
07-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Wow those look great! 20 years though? How does it feel to be out? j/k :wink:

landarc
07-11-2009, 03:32 PM
They look good. I use Kevin's method for dealing with the membrane as well, except I can usually not find any paper towels. Are you sure it was 20 years? I lost my ability to burn for just 3 years and it did seem like a lot longer.

MOS95B
07-11-2009, 04:20 PM
The twenty year gap was due to about 15 years in the Army, then a few years renting. And a large dose of doubting my ability.

But, after reading here for a few weeks, I decided it was worth a try....

hydramax
07-11-2009, 04:56 PM
Ribs look excellent. I did ribs this weekend at the beach house on my 18 weber, 2 racks. Pain to keep temp good but about 2 1/2 hours later with John Henry's Apple rub was very good. I use a butter knife to get membrane off andslide my fingers under pulling up evenly to get off. Just me though!

bbqbull
07-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Thanks for your service.
Never be afraid to try anything when doing Q, if in doubt just ask and you will get an awnser pretty quick here.

Your ribs look great.

I use a butter knife, slide it along the bone and lift the membrane until I can get one of my fat fingers underneath it.
I then lift it until I tear it, grab a paper towel and do like the others say.
Definately makes a difference when eating them for sure.

MOS95B
07-11-2009, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the encouragement folks! I missed the butcher shop, but I think I'm gonna see if the grocery store has a small brisket and some hickory chunks/chips. If not, maybe some sort of roast.

Any suggestions on what type of roast I want? I want to do something as close to a brisket style cook as I can get.

landarc
07-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Brisket! hehe

I would look for a chuck roast if there is no brisket. It smokes up nice.

Meat Burner
07-11-2009, 10:49 PM
How rusty were the grates bro? LOL

Brian in Maine
07-12-2009, 07:54 AM
Try rolling the ribs tightly with the meat side in, then follow Kevin's method. You will be amazed how easily the membrane comes off.

big brother smoke
07-12-2009, 10:38 AM
Thanks for your service and nice ribs!