PDA

View Full Version : Which Briskets?

skip evans
07-10-2009, 10:07 AM
Are there differences in briskets, depending on the retailer. I normally buy from Kroger, but bought two from Wal-Mart and was not happy. I have no idea on how to determine a good cut from a bad cut.

Midnight Smoke
07-10-2009, 10:34 AM
If you can lay the Brisket over your hand and have it fold over easier it should be a tender one.

GreasePig
07-10-2009, 10:40 AM
There aren't that many different suppliers(packers) out there. I find a difference in "cut" meat from my butcher as opposed to getting it at Wally or the Supermarket, but the "sealed" stuff like briskets seems to be pretty much the same here. More than likely you just got a couple of tough ones.

Arthur D
07-10-2009, 10:57 AM
This is informative. I had not thought of tougher vs more tender samples.

I have realized quickly that buying from my local slaughter house, the meat has been more flavorful and tender. My briskets have been smaller as well.

bacardi2001
07-10-2009, 11:19 AM
we dont have any "real meat markets" out here so i have to settle with walmart or costco which isnt bad

Finney
07-10-2009, 11:29 AM
I think Walmart sell 'select' grade briskets. (but I could be wrong)

C Rocke
07-10-2009, 11:43 AM
Are there differences in briskets, depending on the retailer. I normally buy from Kroger, but bought two from Wal-Mart and was not happy. I have no idea on how to determine a good cut from a bad cut.

Nice to see you're doing something valuable with your retirement! lol

undertaker
07-10-2009, 12:33 PM
I think Walmart sell 'select' grade briskets. (but I could be wrong)

I think you are right. I have actually found that my wal-mart is the most expensive in town but with a lesser grade. I can get a select grade for $2.99/lb at wal-mart or I can get a choice grade for $1.99/lb from a local butcher. The only other place I will buy my meat from besides the local butcher is a Kroger store.

Bamabuzzard
07-10-2009, 12:55 PM
I hope not to offend anyone when I type this but Wal Mart's meat (of any kind) sucks like pickled turds. :icon_sick If you're buying meat from Wal Mart you're getting low grade crap. I stopped buying Wal Mart meat a long time ago. Krogers (out all the grocery chains) seems to offer the best cuts of meat.

maxwell7
07-10-2009, 01:06 PM
I have a chile and beer Brisket recipe that called for a "flat,first cut Brisket".It suggests you may have to ask the butcher to cut it for you.I did , and it's a 2-4# cut that is close to 75 or 80% less fat!!It's great.Ask your butcher to cut it for you! Also, a tidbit about a marinade that I think is great. A friend smokes meet 2-3 times a week. He uses a marinade where he slathers on some brown spicy mustard,lets it sit for a few hrs. , then covers it in Dr. Pepper with a cup or so of apple cider vinegar. He has been known to keep it in the fridge for a couple of days. Awesome!!!

chambersuac
07-10-2009, 01:25 PM
I hope not to offend anyone when I type this but Wal Mart's meat (of any kind) sucks like pickled turds. :icon_sick .

Please DO NOT tell us how you know that... :wink:

Arthur D
07-10-2009, 01:32 PM
I have a chile and beer Brisket recipe that called for a "flat,first cut Brisket".It suggests you may have to ask the butcher to cut it for you.I did , and it's a 2-4# cut that is close to 75 or 80% less fat!!It's great.Ask your butcher to cut it for you! Also, a tidbit about a marinade that I think is great. A friend smokes meet 2-3 times a week. He uses a marinade where he slathers on some brown spicy mustard,lets it sit for a few hrs. , then covers it in Dr. Pepper with a cup or so of apple cider vinegar. He has been known to keep it in the fridge for a couple of days. Awesome!!!

Dude, I really enjoy that fatter cut as opposed to the leaner. Must be bad for me though. Must be.

Arthur D
07-10-2009, 01:33 PM
So what grade does a guy ask the butcher?

I mentioned it at once place and they gave me the ole' crooked eye...what the hell you talking about buddy?

big brother smoke
07-10-2009, 01:40 PM
So what grade does a guy ask the butcher?

I mentioned it at once place and they gave me the ole' crooked eye...what the hell you talking about buddy?

Choice or better!

MrJP1957
07-10-2009, 09:40 PM
I hope not to offend anyone when I type this but Wal Mart's meat (of any kind) sucks like pickled turds. :icon_sick If you're buying meat from Wal Mart you're getting low grade crap. I stopped buying Wal Mart meat a long time ago. Krogers (out all the grocery chains) seems to offer the best cuts of meat.

I have a friend who works stocking Wal Mart's produce and meat depts. He refuses to eat their meat. Actually, the only thing he will eat from there is name brand stuff that is canned, or packaged elsewhere.

But around here, I prefer Winn Dixie to Kroger, but both are top notch.

sampson
07-11-2009, 12:50 AM
Our local Sam's carries Choice brisket, usually much better than the Wally's crappola...

BruceB
07-11-2009, 10:02 AM
Then there is the whole left-handed vs right-handed brisket discussion.http://bestsmileys.com/silly/13.gif

bbqbull
07-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Have you talked to the meat cutter at Krogers?
That would be my first stop, ask him to special order you a choice cut whole packer brisket and see if thats possible?
If he does this for you be sure and take him some of your finished product as a thank you for helping you out.