PDA

View Full Version : Canopy / Gazebo ???

Crüe-B-Cüe
07-07-2009, 09:34 AM
I need a cover to cook under. We are in our typical summer rain pattern here on the coast where it will probably rain almost every day around 3:00 in the afternoon. Mrs. Crüe came home with a marked down gazebo from Target that after assembling, it will be going back. After 5 minutes of a slight sprinkle it was leaking. I looked at some nicer gazebos that were about $400 - $500, but the covers on top still look like they would leak. Does anyone have one that keeps the rain out pretty good? How waterproof are the EZ Ups? I could just put it up when it looks like it is going to rain, but something a little more permanent would be desirable.

Stoke&Smoke
07-07-2009, 09:49 AM
I have never had a leak issue with an EZ-Up, well, except the one time that the wind ripped the roof off!:eek:

Seriously, have noticed no leaks at all, but you do have to occaisionally push the water out that accumulates in the fabric of the roof. They really aren't meant to be permanent though, high winds will do a number on 'em

BBQ_Mayor
07-07-2009, 10:00 AM
Go with an ez up. I've had no leaks.

tony76248
07-07-2009, 10:04 AM
EZ-UP is the way to go. They cost about $200. Mine has been blown to hell and back and still works. That says a lot.

1FUNVET
07-07-2009, 10:10 AM
EZ-UP is worth the price.

NeoTrout
07-07-2009, 10:31 AM
OK. I'll be different. I have a Caravan canopy I bought at Costco about 5 years ago. Works very well. Might be worth a look. :icon_cool
www.caravancanopy.com

Skidder
07-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Check your local Wally World that's where I got mine.
http://www.walmart.com/Quik-Shade-Instant-Canopy-12-by-12/ip/4321120

BBQ_MAFIA
07-07-2009, 12:41 PM
I can't speak about other brands, but my EZ Up works great.

Walking Dude
07-07-2009, 12:47 PM
i have access to two canopys and they werk well..........and waterproof. tho each spring, we respray with waterproofing..........completly waterproof. tho you have to watch the wind getting up underneath. they have tie downs tho. we used one last month at the iowa gathering, and during the rain we had on friday, was completely dry...........

Smokey Al Gold
07-07-2009, 12:49 PM
First UP from wally world works great but what is this "rain" you speak of? Guess we don't have any of that here is south Texas. You could always just move down here and be dry year round! :lol:

helljack6
07-07-2009, 01:16 PM
middle of my garage on the concrete with the front and back doors wide open always works well for me, but now my wife complains because my garage is so littered with grills/smokers/gassers that there's no where to park the car anymore.

Vince RnQ
07-07-2009, 01:31 PM
We have 3 Caravan canopies that we have purchased from Costco. They are absolutely excellent! We've been through rain, snow, wind, hail and all three are still in great shape.

Each unit will run you about $200 but that includes the frame, canopy top, 4 sidewalls, a heavy duty carry bag and a very light duty set of staking gear.

You'll do yourself well to add some weight bags to your set up. We use the Deluxe EZ-UP brand weight bags, the ones that wrap around the legs of the canopy. They run about $55 for a set of 4 or about $80 for a set of 6. They each will hold 40 lbs. of sand, (you supply the sand), and they keep the canopies solidly in place, even in a good gust of wind. What is really great about these bags is that you can also wrap them around two or three frame legs at once so if you want to set up two canopies side by side you can use 6 weight bags to hold down the entire structure.

The Woodman
07-07-2009, 01:59 PM
EZ Ups will tend to leak along the seams in very slow drips after a lengthy period of rain. I would not leave it set-up for extended periods as UV exposure will shorten its life and accelerate heavier leaking. I have had several for 5 years now, but always take them down after use. They will pool water in heavy downpours as noted above. They tend to leak when full of pooled water. WM

ps. DO NOT BUY THE CHEAP MODEL!!!!! The Encore is the one I have. It is very important to get the one with the center support.

Crüe-B-Cüe
07-07-2009, 02:17 PM
I think I am starting to lean toward a more permanent solution. I have a 12' x 14' patio behind the house. I could easily put up something like this:

http://hallmarkhomeimp.com/images/patio_cover.jpg

The only problem is it would cost about $1200, but it would be permanent. At least until the next hurricane. :eek:

The Woodman
07-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Ta-Da!!!!!!!!!!

Chipper
07-07-2009, 03:19 PM
I have had an EZ_UP and a Caravan and they are both fine. I found some water proofing spray at the Coleman outlet and that helps when you have an all day rain.

swamprb
07-07-2009, 04:38 PM
I need a cover to cook under. We are in our typical summer rain pattern here on the coast where it will probably rain almost every day around 3:00 in the afternoon. Mrs. Crüe came home with a marked down gazebo from Target that after assembling, it will be going back. After 5 minutes of a slight sprinkle it was leaking. I looked at some nicer gazebos that were about $400 - $500, but the covers on top still look like they would leak. Does anyone have one that keeps the rain out pretty good? How waterproof are the EZ Ups? I could just put it up when it looks like it is going to rain, but something a little more permanent would be desirable.

Hey Crue!

I've been cooking under this one, and it looks similar to some of the ones that Target was selling. I picked it up off craigslist NIB for $100, set it up and screwed it into my deck joists, the frame itself has survived a few major windstorms, whereas the fabric coverings have not been so lucky. But it came with an extra cover and I ordered a replacement cover. They will leak at first until the fabric gets climatized, then they have been pretty decent 4 season cooker covers.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/100_3283.jpg

Last winter I had a foot of snow fall over the night while I was at work and when I got home, I was underneath it trying to get it off and the top frame collapsed on me. I made new frames from 1/2" conduit and it lives to cook under again.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/100_3284.jpg

Here is a link for replacement tops should you decide to keep it.

http://www.gardenwinds.com/replacement-canopy-c-28_4_77.html?osCsid=rb4au2gr3q9pn0h2pckpfllli5

aquablue22
07-07-2009, 04:44 PM
Wally World.............as much as I hate to say so

Crüe-B-Cüe
07-07-2009, 05:01 PM
Hey Crue!

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/100_3283.jpg

That looks a lot like the one that I have. If I keep it, it will definately have to be bolted to the concrete. I might could seal the top up with a few cans of weatherproofing. Home Depot has a 12 x 14 aluminum patio cover for $1200. I have enough Amex points to get a few $500 Home Depot gift cards. The only drawback is they have to be used in store. I have to find out if the cover is an online item only or if the store can order it. I would hate to cash in the points and not be able to buy it.

smoke-n-my-i's
07-07-2009, 05:19 PM
here is a link to the thread where I just got my new 10x20 canopy tent. Not sure if they are still on sale or not....

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64238&highlight=tent

I used self drilling screws to put the long pieces together with, as well as the "truss" pieces for the roof. Now all I have to do is take all the long pieces, and put them into the truss pieces, put the legs on, put the top on and done... should take abt 10-15 minutes tops. The only time I had a leak was when I put a hole in the top by mistake....:oops: it was starting to show it's age and the top was starting to show some wear from pulling it on and off during all of the comps. I got the side kit for this one....couldn't pass up the prices.

I have been under several ez up style tents, and they do leak after a lengthy rain...

It all depends on what you need for size, and whether you will be putting it up and taking it down a lot...

Bill

Learnin Querve
07-07-2009, 06:14 PM
One of my former customers was a dealer for Sunsetter Retractable Awnings. He said they were great. Permanent mount under the eaves, just crank it out when you need it, crank it back in when you don't. (or push the remote button on the motorized models.)

He said that by keeping it rolled up when not needed, it prevented a lot of the weather aging and damage from the wind whipping them. If bugs are a problem, you can get optional screen walls.

Probably cost about what a permanent patio cover would cost, but it should be there after the hurricane.

Chris

PIT BOSS
07-08-2009, 05:39 AM
I think I am starting to lean toward a more permanent solution. I have a 12' x 14' patio behind the house. I could easily put up something like this:

http://hallmarkhomeimp.com/images/patio_cover.jpg

The only problem is it would cost about $1200, but it would be permanent. At least until the next hurricane. :eek:

I like this idea the best. This unit looks like it's made of aluminum.
I would think you could make your own for a lot less than $1200

Wampus
07-08-2009, 08:58 AM
First UP from wally world works great but what is this "rain" you speak of? Guess we don't have any of that here is south Texas. You could always just move down here and be dry year round! :lol:

Yeah....but then there's the LAVA HOT temps. Any you don't get the beautiful winters (cough-cough) that we get here in the Hoosier State.:mrgreen:

One of my former customers was a dealer for Sunsetter Retractable Awnings. He said they were great. Permanent mount under the eaves, just crank it out when you need it, crank it back in when you don't. (or push the remote button on the motorized models.)

He said that by keeping it rolled up when not needed, it prevented a lot of the weather aging and damage from the wind whipping them. If bugs are a problem, you can get optional screen walls.

Probably cost about what a permanent patio cover would cost, but it should be there after the hurricane.

Chris

Yeah....that's exactly what I was thinking. If you're wanting a more "permanent" awning, This may be the way to go. Depending on where you are and the snow load (do you get snow in Alabama?), the awning you showed may get REAL heavy if you get a good wet snow. At least with the Sunsetter you can put it away if you want.

Here's their site.....

http://www.sunsetter.com/

I want to buy an awning too, but I want a portable....so the EZ-Up is the way to go for me.....just looked like you wanted something that wasn't gonna need to be prtable.

My $.02. Good luck!

timzcardz
07-08-2009, 09:18 AM
I use a 10 x 10 Caravan from Costco on my back deck.

I screw it to the deck in April and unscrew it and put it away in October (Snow kills these things quickly). Using it like this I get a few years out of it before it really needs to be replaced.

Crüe-B-Cüe
07-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Depending on where you are and the snow load (do you get snow in Alabama?), the awning you showed may get REAL heavy if you get a good wet snow. At least with the Sunsetter you can put it away if you want.

Snow? It has snowed here 3 times in my life. Barely stuck each time. I'm going to look at the Sunsetter also.

Wampus
07-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Snow? It has snowed here 3 times in my life. Barely stuck each time. I'm going to look at the Sunsetter also.

er......well that's a real...........shame.
I love when it snows. The first time or two......

Sorry.....always lived right here in good ole Indianer!!!
I don't leave much.......

Grillman
07-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Hi all...I'm new here.
Looks like a nice Forum here.

For whatever it's worth....you may want to keep local Fire Codes,
in the back of your mind; before you spend a lot of money.

Here in Aurora, Colorado....Fire codes require the heat source,
(smoker, grill or whatever) be at least 10 feet away from the
canopy or structure you are using.
Of course not many people actually follow the Fire codes, and put
their smoker, or grill under the canopy.

Whatever you do...it's not a bad idea to have a good fire extinguisher
on hand .....just to be safe.

ZILLA
07-08-2009, 12:34 PM
I'd recommend building a small BBQ Shack. One of my friends has one like this built along his privacy fence on the side of his house and it's really a badass little setup. You can make it as long as you need it. You could do it for a few hundred bucks. His is outfitted with a small work table, radio, tool rack and so on.

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/8525/bbqleanto.png (http://img268.imageshack.us/i/bbqleanto.png/)