PDA

View Full Version : Would you trust it?

txschutte
07-04-2009, 12:11 AM
I have been planning to build a clone smoker for quite some time. Mobile even. I will refrain from the type I am imitating because the owner of the original is a member here.

My question is actually about the building. To skip a few steps, I could acquire a boat trailer with 1500# single axle. According to my plans, the steel I plan to add will be at 800#. Assuming the trailer steel itself is at about 400lbs, that's about 1200lbs on a 1500lb axle. Am I asking for a busted axle on I-80? I could just upgrade the axle, right? I just wanna make sure. I'm a doggone construction man, not an engineer.

Jaberwabee
07-04-2009, 12:42 AM
Honestly, I don't know. Ask Jay.

txschutte
07-04-2009, 12:49 AM
There's just so much to consider... like tongue weights, center of gravity, tongue lengths,.....maybe I should ask Jay..just to build one for me. Anyone got an extra $7k laying around?

mranum
07-04-2009, 05:55 AM
How much do you plan on pulling it? I mean if your gonna drag it around for thousands of miles a year to comps maybe look for a heavier axle but honestly if you are gonna do an occasional party or so I would just add an extra leaf in the springs and thats only if it needed it when it was done. Spring boosters and even air bags aren't that crazy in price either. Don't forget to look at the tires too. May want just a heavier load rated tire depending on your finished weight. There are truck scales around, just look for one in your area to get a feel for where your at.

Just make sure you keep the tongue weight around 250-400 lbs. Too little and she'll sway like nobody's business and and too heavy it will overload your hitch and take too much off your steering.

Bentley
07-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Spring boosters and even air bags aren't that crazy in price either.

Good idea, thats what I was thinking.

gordo
07-05-2009, 07:57 AM
Why chance it....
Throw something a little more heavy duty under that thing...

Complete new setup with axles, bearings and all aint that much..
and have peace of mind knowing you got it covered....

Nothing ruins a cookoff weekend faster than sitting beside the road somewhere...Its happened to me before..! aint no fun..:mad:

ipls3355
07-05-2009, 08:13 AM
I would say that is too close. I would think you would want at least a factor of 1.5 (maybe even 2.0). Throw on a couple hundred pounds of wood and equipment on your design and you're over. One good bump and you're out of commission.

MrSmoker
07-05-2009, 09:33 AM
Go with a tandem axle trailer.

Ashmont
07-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Beef it up! lololol Kinda like buying a computer if you need the X model to get by then buy the Z model....

WineMaster
07-05-2009, 10:31 AM
I would question how much $$$$ do you intend on putting into the build. Start to finish. that is the best way to make decisions as to where you can cut corners. also, after you build this thing, how long do you want it to last before you have to replace it.

Learnin Querve
07-05-2009, 11:18 AM
I think I'd pass on the boat trailer. They can be had inexpensively, but for the most part they're designed for a fairly light tongue weight. There's a lot of wasted space on that long "vee" shape in the front

I'd start watching for for farm and contractors auctions for a heavier single or twin axle.

Chris