PDA

View Full Version : Might be Kangaroo...

Desert Dweller
06-26-2009, 09:10 PM
One of the newer local markets (Fresh and Easy) advertized Tri-Tip Roast for $3.99 this week. I've been waiting for the opportunity to try some new Rubs on Tri-Tip, so I jumped at the sale price. I got it home and then noticed the Inspected in Australia stamp on it.... Is it Beef, or is it Kangaroo one of the kids asked?

I gave both a mustard slather (light) and the seasoned one with Dizzy Pig's "Shakin the Tree", then a coat of Tod's Dirt on both. It was the first time the family had tried the Shakin the Tree, the wife liked it the best, all agreed that TD is really good on beef. The meat seemed a little tough, but full of flavor. I used one chunk of Walnut and one of Pecan indirect in the Platinum, then spead the coals for a sear to finish. Took the meat off at 128, rested 15 minutes till 135. Pasta Shells in White Cheddar Sauce and Brocolli rounded the meal out.

Enjoy the pics and thx 4 stoppin in!

Phesant
06-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Hey all the boys are in this one :grin:

That looks fantastic DD ..... great job as always.

Rookie'48
06-26-2009, 09:35 PM
Ahhh - cooked just right, kiddo! There's two (at least) schools of thought on the searing of tri-tips. Some sear after the meat is cooked, some do the sear first, then bring it up to temp. Either way, it looks like it was tender, juicey and tasty.
I see by her smile that Farliegh is feeling more gooder :biggrin:.

eheath
06-26-2009, 09:46 PM
Man, that looks tasty!

chambersuac
06-27-2009, 09:25 AM
dang, that is great looking meat right there...

Tarpon65
06-27-2009, 05:44 PM
That's exactly how I like my kangaroo cooked. Looks great!

Desert Dweller
06-28-2009, 05:38 AM
Ahhh - cooked just right, kiddo! There's two (at least) schools of thought on the searing of tri-tips. Some sear after the meat is cooked, some do the sear first, then bring it up to temp. Either way, it looks like it was tender, juicey and tasty.
I see by her smile that Farliegh is feeling more gooder :biggrin:.

I seared it last because I wanted as much smoke flavor to penetrate the meat as possible, and my feeling is that a sear can seal the meat fibers... And yes, the wife is feeling much better and says thanks for noticing!