PDA

View Full Version : Ribs on the U.D.S.

jeepaholic
06-21-2009, 04:47 PM
I have a rack of baby backs and a rack of st louis on the smoker right now. I have been reading about the 3,2,1 method. I really don't like ribs that fall off the bone. Do you think that I should shorten the foil time from 2 hrs to 1 hr??? I read that the baby backs should be cooked 2,2,1. What do the brethren think I should do??? Thanks

Jaberwabee
06-21-2009, 04:52 PM
3-2-1 is to long for Baby Backs, and a UDS cooks them faster than normal anyway. I dont foil to much unless I am cooking a ton of ribs (over 6 slabs). I would cook for 3 hours and then start paying attention and sauce when done.

cardiac_cadet002
06-21-2009, 04:54 PM
Its been my exp that 2 hours in foil produces ribs that fall off the bone. You could try foil for 1 hour and see how you like them, but for me I have found that no foil produces a great rib with some chew like I prefer but YMMV.

jeepaholic
06-21-2009, 05:00 PM
ok I'm sold.. no foil at what temp do you pull the baby off? and temp for the st louis? this is my first cook on my UDS.. also do you turn the ribs over at any point???

cardiac_cadet002
06-21-2009, 05:19 PM
When it comes to ribs you go by pullback/time or do the bend test. To do the bend test you pick a full rack of ribs up in the middle with some tongs and you want them to sorta fold down to where they almost touch and the meat sorta tears a bit. Someone will correct me or add to it, its been a while since I read about it. use the search option if you have it to look it up. In a UDS I usually start ribs bone side up for 1 1/2-2 hours then flip them to bone down till they are finished. Just remember that more than likely your BBs will be done before your spares since they have less fat to render out.

Bbq Bubba
06-21-2009, 05:49 PM
Bones down.
No foil.
Done in 4 hrs or when they bend with ease!

txschutte
06-21-2009, 06:11 PM
Bones down.
No foil.
Done in 4 hrs or when they bend with ease!
DING-DING-DING!

WINNA WINNA, RIBS FOR DINNA!:lol:

swamprb
06-21-2009, 07:47 PM
I tried a different approach with BB's at a Backyard Comp yesterday and got a 2nd Place for Ribs on my Magnum drum. I started them out meat side down for 45 minutes, flipped and sprayed with Apple juice and spun the grate 90* and did this every 45 minutes and I was really pleased with the results. You may not have the time to do this, but all I was doing was standing around BS'n. I'm not even sure I would do this at home, but I've never really been satisfied with my drum ribs until now.