PDA

View Full Version : How do you store wood for smoker?

dedwards
06-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Guys,

I have been given some Cherry, Apple and Peach wood for my smoker. The Apple and the Peach are very dry and ready to use. The Cherry was cut from a tree that was not completely dead and will need some time to season. I do not have any place outside to store and keep the wood dry. I thought about cutting and splitting into chunks and then storing in large plastice containers. Does the wood need more air than this would allow particularly in the case of the Cherry which is still green.

One more question....Do different varities of Apple Tree's give off different flavor profiles when smoking? example...Granny Smith versus a Jonathan?

Suggestions

Dennis
Ole Hickory Ultra Que
Jenn Air Gas

OakPit
06-21-2009, 01:42 PM
I store mine in galvanized 20 gallon trash cans. Drill a few holes around the bottom and top (not big enough for mice to get inside (1/2") should do it. They are in my garage and stay in good shape all year.

McClung
06-21-2009, 02:00 PM
Mine is in a bunch of big rubbermaid containers (keeps it all together nicely, but HEAVY to move) stored down under the house in my shop (keeps it out of the way nicely)