PDA

View Full Version : I've never brined a butt

jdub
06-19-2009, 08:18 PM
I think I'll give it a whirl, what the hey.
Anyone want to talk me out of it?

Wampus
06-19-2009, 08:51 PM
Me either. I don't know why it wouldn't add some moisture just like with other meats, I just don't know if a butt needs it? There's so much fat marbled in the meat that there's no shortage of tenderization if it's cooked right.

But......don't really know......

Good luck!
Post results!!!

BBQchef33
06-19-2009, 08:59 PM
i brined one in margarita mix once. Dont do that.

seriously, i used to brine, and realized it offered nothing to a butt. I do soak them in 7 up and peach juice on occasion. The phosphoric acid is somewhat of a tenderizer.

sbramm
06-19-2009, 09:08 PM
i rubbed salt on an arse once......

got kicked in the head for it!!!:lol:

Bbq Bubba
06-19-2009, 09:12 PM
I think I'll give it a whirl, what the hey.
Anyone want to talk me out of it?

I won't talk you out of it.

I will say your probably wasting your time, but give it a shot and let us know how it went. :biggrin:

jdub
06-19-2009, 09:27 PM
I won't talk you out of it.

I will say your probably wasting your time, but give it a shot and let us know how it went. :biggrin:
Thats about what I have heard and read. So I will. Its not like its gonna 'splode or nothing like that:biggrin:

Yakfishingfool
06-19-2009, 09:31 PM
Yeah, I'll talk you out of it. It'll taste just like ham. But do it anyway....Why do I say ham? Brine some baby backs, they come out like ham too. Scott

jdub
06-19-2009, 10:14 PM
Yeah, I'll talk you out of it. It'll taste just like ham. But do it anyway....Why do I say ham? Brine some baby backs, they come out like ham too. Scott
What the hell was I thinking, you're right! If I can get a decent brisket tomorrow, I will brine that. Otherwise, pfffftttt.

Big bass are here early this year, get over to the coast Scott.

GridironGriller
06-20-2009, 02:13 AM
Alton Brown has a great butt brine.

jdub
06-20-2009, 10:20 AM
Aw to heck with it, I got a brisket:roll:
A shameless plug for Carl's Meat Market, Kittery Point Maine. Great looking meat and brisket cheaper than Wally World dog brisket. Also my Wicked Good Briquettes connection.

BRBBQ
06-20-2009, 01:11 PM
Didn't the baron of Q Paul Kirk talk about trying this at one contest, I don't have that book. I soak my butts for 3-4 hours, gives it a more salty flavor.

big brother smoke
06-20-2009, 01:42 PM
I do this all time JDUB. Trust me, if done right, it will enhance your butt :twisted:

You just need the right ingrediants to deliver the enhanced flavor profile:cool:

edit: The salt will penetrate the butt delivering other flavors.