PDA

View Full Version : maintaining heat

tydenny
06-18-2009, 10:57 PM
can you put ceramic brisquettes,used for gas grills,on rack over wood fire to distribute heat longer and more even tempurature.if so how hot can you heat them

gotwood
06-18-2009, 11:00 PM
no, ceramic is a good insulator. Not really what you want to do what you are asking. You want a massive heat sink to absorb the heat from the fire then release it evenly.

Ceramic is going to divert the heat, maybe finding cracks between the pieces to go.

BBQchef33
06-18-2009, 11:08 PM
but why?

more details... are u thinking about doing this in an offset?

tydenny
06-18-2009, 11:15 PM
on gas grills they use the ceramic brisquettes,and you can turn the grill up high and heat the brisquettes and then turn the heat off and the brisquettes still retain the heat for continued grilling.wondering if you heated them over a wood fire wouldn't they have the same effect as being heated with gas flame.major concern was i can't seem to find anything on max tempuratures they can be heated.wondered if anyone has every use this method,or know how much heat a ceramic brisquette can absorb

tydenny
06-18-2009, 11:28 PM
i have an offset,that i haven't used yet.i was interested in using the ceramic brisquittes for grilling,thought i would ask if anyone ever used them.my grill flares up alot,i know ceramic reduces that

BBQchef33
06-18-2009, 11:40 PM
i have used lava rocks over a propane assist in an offset. Basically, just to spread out the heat and save the paint on the top of the firebox.

I would think that the blue flames of a gas grill would be hotter than the surface temps of charcoal..