PDA

View Full Version : Maverick?

DC-Q
06-18-2009, 06:46 PM
My maverick receiver suddenly will not pick up the signal from the transmitter more than 20 ft away. It used to work fine. Its about 35 ft from the Traegers to the window sill next to my bed where I like to keep it for over night cooks. I don't think 35' is asking to much. Granted, I've never had a problem, the over night cooks on the Traegers have always been successful. But, I'm in the habit of checking it when I get up in the middle of the night to go to the little boys room. It's a comfort thing. It's about 3 years old, new batteries in both units. Is this common? I did see a thread about mods to extend the range.

Finney
06-18-2009, 08:08 PM
Are you turning them on in the right order? Base unit first, then the transmitter right after the base beeps.

There is also a button under one of the battery covers that re-syncs the units.

Saiko
06-18-2009, 08:35 PM
Dunno about it suddenly losing range. I tend to slowly lose range till I put new batteries in, but the range on mavericks have never been great without mods. I haven't done any of the mods since my range will still reach my upstairs bedroom with good batteries.
You mentioned you've seen a thread about the antenna mods, this thread has links to both mods - the transmitter and the receiver:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62967

gpalasz
06-18-2009, 08:35 PM
If you do a search, there is a slight mod you can do and add an extension on the antena, its really simple. My maverick started doing that as well...over time the receiver just got weaker. I still have my original Maverick that is several years old. I just use it to monitor the meat every one in awhile. I did buy an NU 701 as well, which I like but hardly use anymore. To sum it up...they are all china made garbage that will eventually break. Get to know your pit and you will not miss it. Get the super fast Organge thermapen.

DC-Q
06-20-2009, 04:18 AM
Thanx for the input, Yes I've seen the mods. Yes I'm turning them on in the right order. Not really sure why the range isn't as good as it used to be. Butts came out awsome anyway but it would be nice if it worked. Thanx again.

KC_Bobby
06-20-2009, 09:10 AM
Try new batteries.