PDA

View Full Version : BBQ BRETHREN newbie needs grill help.....

AFLCAPT
06-15-2009, 10:27 PM
Hi, first I just want to say, what a great site. A short bbq background... I now own an old side smoker that's on it's way out. I like to do a bit of smoking but the majority of what I do is charcoal grilling. Right now I'm looking to purchase either the Weber one touch gold or a Brinkmann single or dual zone with adjustable coal grates. My first question is, can I still do some indirect smoking w/ the Weber? My second question is has anyone had any experience with the Brinkmann grills mentioned above? Third and final question...What's with the Bubba keg....is it worth the 600 clams? The only reason I'm considering it is the portability you can't get with ceramics. Thanks to all in advance for your input.

Pyle's BBQ
06-16-2009, 12:14 AM
IMHO, I would go with the Weber. It is easy to use, quality materials and accessories to do the low and slow. The Brinkman is hard to use due to the fit and finish.

The Bubba Keg looks like a steel BGE. It just has insulation between the steel walls. Worth $600? That I don't know. You could get 2 Webers for that price.

JMO

cardiac_cadet002
06-16-2009, 12:16 AM
Yes! You can absolutely do indirect smoking on the Weber, all you have to do is bank your coals on one side and place your meat on the other. Place 10-15 lit coals on top of your pile of unlit coals and from there its just a matter of controlling your air intake. I have no exp. with either the Brinkman grills or Bubba kegs, so no help there. But i would go for the Weber no doubt!

Wampus
06-16-2009, 12:27 AM
Yes! You can absolutely do indirect smoking on the Weber, all you have to do is bank your coals on one side and place your meat on the other. Place 10-15 lit coals on top of your pile of unlit coals and from there its just a matter of controlling your air intake. I have no exp. with either the Brinkman grills or Bubba kegs, so no help there. But i would go for the Weber no doubt!

I completely agree. Although I don't have any experience either with the Brinkmann or the Bubba I don't think there's much of anything you can't do on the Weber.

I've indirectly smoked several turkeys, dozens of whole chickens, smoked cured salmon fillets, I even smoked a whole 10-12 lb prime rib roast last Christmas.
Like CC said above...it's all about vent control. You may have to add fuel after a while, but the flip up cooking grates are really hlepfull with that.

Plus, IMHO you can't beat the Weber kettles for direct grilling.

Cook on brother! Good luck!!!

gotwood
06-16-2009, 12:29 AM
think about the 26" weber kettle

Wampus
06-16-2009, 12:33 AM
Plus.....if you can be a little patient and check out Craigs List, there are TONS of people that don't know what they have and are selling Weber kettles all the time. Especially the silvers.

You may have to hold out a while on a gold, but you'd save a bunch of money if you take your time.

gotwood
06-16-2009, 12:36 AM
As I gave my sister my old weber kettle after she borrowed it for a party, I just put together one earlier today. Purchased at HD 149.00
maybe not the best price but was close and hasslefree

and it's costing me 25 bucks a month for 6 months

zydecopaws
06-16-2009, 01:12 AM
Get the Weber (I know, I'm biased, but for good reason). I was grilling indirectly for years long before discovering true smoking and was told by those in the know that what I was doing tasted about as close to the real thing as possible. I still prefer certain foods cooked that way, and now that I've hung around here long enough I have figured out how to smoke on the kettles (even though I don't, except to show off).

Hang out on Craigslist or keep an eye out for sales. Also, get at least a 22.5" model so that you have plenty of room.

bbqpigskin
06-16-2009, 01:14 AM
I'd go with the Weber. They are really versitile for both grilling and smoking.

gotwood
06-16-2009, 01:39 AM
What kind of portability are you talking about????

gpalasz
06-16-2009, 08:40 AM
Weber, no doubt about it

Smokey Al Gold
06-16-2009, 08:43 AM
Get the kettle my friend. I take my 22.5 camping and its light weight and portable IMO. Just take off the lid and remove the grates and place it upside down in the bed of my truck and tie it down and make sure the lid will not fly out. Makes for great camping every time!

Stoke&Smoke
06-16-2009, 08:51 AM
I would go Weber as well, for the simple reason of more versatility.

If you need to do a larger quanity than a 22.5 could normally do, but don't want to fork over the extra clams for the larger unit, look into this
http://smokenator.com/

early mornin' smokin'
06-16-2009, 09:00 AM
22.5 weber, and get ur self the rotisserie kit, if ur a little handy you can make yourself a quick and easy 2 level smoker, and u get a rotisserie out of the deal.

gpalasz
06-16-2009, 09:31 AM
You can do a search and see what all people have cooked on the kettle...youd be suprised. No prob doing briskets, butts, ribs..whatever. Get a couple firebricks for a couple bucks get 6+ hrs easy no prob. Dont let the simplicity fool you...The kettle is a cooking machine.

Bacon
06-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Weber. I do all of my smoking on the Kettle. I also use a device called the Smokenator (http://www.smokenator.com/).

Works really good to maintain that 225.

jrb03
06-16-2009, 10:36 AM
I used to own the Brinkmann, and it is long gone. Dont make the mistake many of us did and start with that cheap unit. A Weber kettle is worth every penny, I would of saved lots of money if I started with a Kettle years ago! It is the best grill I have used, and does a fine job at smoking. Look into the Performer if you have some extra cash, the added options are great.

I have not seen or used a Bubba Keg so I will not discuss that, other than to mention you can get a Performer and a WSM for the price of the Bubba Keg. Thats what I would do If I had $600 to spend.

StayDown
06-16-2009, 10:46 AM
I would go with the Weber as well and while you are at it I would build an Ugly Drum Smoker!!

AFLCAPT
06-16-2009, 02:26 PM
Ok, sooo... I'm kinda feeling like i should purchase a Weber. My girlfriend will be very happy to know that after an entire month of mulling this over I've finally made a decision... BTW the smokenator looks awesome. Thanks to all for the help.

StayDown
06-16-2009, 02:33 PM
Congrats on choosing the weber....now when ya get a chance, and if you are handy...check out this thread

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436

OakPit
06-16-2009, 03:36 PM
!!!WEBER!!! and quit thinking about anything Brinkman. Sorry to be so blunt. The Bubba keg has been reviewed here by Plowboy, i think...search the old threads.

A Hearty WELCOME and enjoy this great place to hang out.

Skidder
06-16-2009, 03:51 PM
I say yes to the Weber and no to the Smokinator. To me there is no reason to use this. People have been smoking on kettles for 54 years without one. All you have to do is throw a couple of bricks in on edge to hold the coals and watch your temps. Start with a small fire and add coals as the smoke goes along. Here ya go smoked spare without a Smokinator. Now if you think you need one go right out and get one there very well made. Just my opinion.
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q64/Skidder1/Picture693.jpg

Carbon
06-16-2009, 04:07 PM
My very recent $40 Weber 22" One Touch Gold kettle I found on Craigslist was the best grill purchase I've ever made. .....not to mention the ease of use and temperature control over my other grills.

My other grills......4 charcoal grills and 1 gas grill, none of them Webers rarely gets used now.

aquablue22
06-16-2009, 04:21 PM
Join the Weber nation, taken care of it will last a lifetime. Plus you can never have too many of them! Although my wife thinks i do!

gpalasz
06-16-2009, 05:30 PM
As Skidder stated....forget the smokenator thing...2 firebricks for less than $5....spend that $ on some meat instead.

AFLCAPT
06-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Well I'm now the proud father of a BAD ASS Weber performer and after dropping some coin on some Kobe strips I feel I broke it in right. Thanks for all the help.