PDA

View Full Version : Stick-burner at Academy

aks801
06-14-2009, 11:37 AM
After my latest smoke, doing a brisket on my heavily modded ECB, I said to myself, I said "Self, ya gotsta move on past the ECB".

At times I've convinced myself I'll get the WSM, but man what I REALLY want is a stick-burner. Your basic set-up: 20" barrel, firebox on the side, nice racks (a-hem...). Need it on wheels so I can move it around (no dedicated spot yet for outdoor smokage). I live on the far west side of Houston, and we certainly have some fine builders in town (Gator Pit, Klose, Pits 'n Spits...), but those are just too rich for my blood at this point.

So the Mrs. and I go to Academy last night. And as it turns out, they have what I think is a real nice smoker at a decent price! I think the brand name is "Old Country". Fits the above description just fine: 20" barrel, nice venting stack, sliding racks appear to be good quality, firebox looks good with adequate opening venting assembly. Two wheels on one side and handle on the other makes for mobility. Welds look decent. Thing just feels solid! Steel looks to be 1/8". Price $549.

I say it looks like a winner! Anyone out there have any experience with this particular rig?

Of course, the Mrs. and her quick-wit had to bite. Further down the aisle they had the "Li'l Hondo" for $89, totally flimsy whimpy little thing. She points it out to me, and after seeing the horrified look on my face, leans up close and says oh so sincerely "honey, size really doesn't matter". Ouch!!! :roll:

swibirun
06-14-2009, 01:04 PM
Have no hands on experience with that one but had to :lol: at your wife's comment. They are sooooo supportive at times aren't they?

If you get it, I can't wait to hear how ya like it.

jazzspot
06-14-2009, 01:53 PM
Is the Old Country rig that you're talking about Shown Here?? (http://www.bbquepits.com/backyard_bbq_pits.htm)

aks801
06-15-2009, 05:21 PM
Is the Old Country rig that you're talking about Shown Here?? (http://www.bbquepits.com/backyard_bbq_pits.htm)

Yep, it's shown all the way at the bottom of the page. They list it at $900 I believe. I dunno, seems pretty decent to me, metal seems thick enough to adequately hold in the heat.

BBQ Bandit
06-15-2009, 05:36 PM
May I offer a suggestion...? if the budget is tight and rather want the best for the money... look at your local fabricators (Gator Pit, Klose, Pits 'n Spits...),and check out their "trade-in/trade-up" used section. There may be something you just didn't see yet.

1FUNVET
06-15-2009, 05:38 PM
I have the 16" and my wife picked it up at Academy several months ago on sale for 399.00. I was wanting the 20" but they were out of stock and she wanted to surprise me with what she thought i wanted.It is a great cooking pit.All i have done was add another coat of hi-temp paint, season it and add a charcaol basket.I cook on it every weekend,did boneless beef ribs yesterday.Once you get temp set it will maintain it for several hours with no adjustments.:-D

txschutte
06-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Also look at the Lyfe-Tyme pits. For the same price, you can get a bit moe cooker. My FIL bought one for the ranchito in Victoria for about the same price, but it included a 3' upright section. Believe it or not, he got it at HEB.

OUT OF ORDER
06-15-2009, 10:08 PM
After my latest smoke, doing a brisket on my heavily modded ECB, I said to myself, I said "Self, ya gotsta move on past the ECB".

At times I've convinced myself I'll get the WSM, but man what I REALLY want is a stick-burner. Your basic set-up: 20" barrel, firebox on the side, nice racks (a-hem...). Need it on wheels so I can move it around (no dedicated spot yet for outdoor smokage). I live on the far west side of Houston, and we certainly have some fine builders in town (Gator Pit, Klose, Pits 'n Spits...), but those are just too rich for my blood at this point.

So the Mrs. and I go to Academy last night. And as it turns out, they have what I think is a real nice smoker at a decent price! I think the brand name is "Old Country". Fits the above description just fine: 20" barrel, nice venting stack, sliding racks appear to be good quality, firebox looks good with adequate opening venting assembly. Two wheels on one side and handle on the other makes for mobility. Welds look decent. Thing just feels solid! Steel looks to be 1/8". Price $549.

I say it looks like a winner! Anyone out there have any experience with this particular rig?

Of course, the Mrs. and her quick-wit had to bite. Further down the aisle they had the "Li'l Hondo" for $89, totally flimsy whimpy little thing. She points it out to me, and after seeing the horrified look on my face, leans up close and says oh so sincerely "honey, size really doesn't matter". Ouch!!! :roll:I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO SELL MINE SINCE I GOT MY EGG ILL SELL FOR 250 I BOUGHT IT 1 YR AGO LET ME KNOW
sorry caps

aks801
06-16-2009, 02:35 PM
I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO SELL MINE SINCE I GOT MY EGG ILL SELL FOR 250 I BOUGHT IT 1 YR AGO LET ME KNOW
sorry caps

So how does it cook?

gtsum
06-16-2009, 11:10 PM
I second the suggestion of stopping by klose, gator, or Pitts and Spitts and see what they have for used pits. There is quite a bit of difference in 1/8 steel and 1/4 inch steel. The thicker the steel, the better and more even the heat distribution, less temp fluctuations, and more efficient cooker. Also, the smaller offsets have less usable space to cook (you cant really cook much anywhere near the firebox, unless you are browning some chicken. (I had a smaller 20 inch offset years back and fought it quite a bit).

MG_NorCal
06-16-2009, 11:23 PM
Plating is 1/4" according to the website:

"The Old Country BBQ Pits. These classic style bbq pits are built with 1/4" thick steel plate. They have an all welded construction."

McClung
06-16-2009, 11:25 PM
There are always tons of pits on CL down there.

OUT OF ORDER
06-17-2009, 12:53 AM
So how does it cook?it works good man i used it alot while i had it i have smoked 3 briskets down on the bottom rack and fatties on top or what ever you want but for space and its duable ide spend the money on it after using it:icon_devil:icon_devil:icon_devil:icon_devil i have still used it since i got the egg just obviously not as much:icon_cool:icon_cool:icon_cool:icon_cool

kickassbbq
06-17-2009, 06:30 AM
Stick Burners Rule!!!!

Now that's REAL BBQ!!!

PaPaQ
06-17-2009, 11:10 AM
Gator also sells budget pits.

JimDandysNYDan
06-17-2009, 11:28 AM
I have had mine for about 2 years now, I'm happy with the way it cooks. although I can't compare it to a Gator or a Klose since I have never cooked on either one of those. But I bought from Old Country for the same reasons you seem interested, affordable pricing and decently built.

BBQchef33
06-17-2009, 11:55 AM
The only issue I have with short horizontals is the actual usable space. The 30" long barrel will really only have 18-24 inches of usable space. The spot just outside the firebox is a hotspot.. usable for finishing up chicken, sausage, etc, but dont think you will be able to lay out racks of ribs or briskets across the entire length of the pit for extended periods. Meat in that hot spot requires attention. If its possible to go to a 42 or 48 inch length, i would consider that.

aks801
06-17-2009, 12:02 PM
Yep, regarding the inlet into the smoking chamber I figured that might an issue. I would plan to improve that by picking up some scrap sheet steel, then welding it over that area to function as a diffuser.

Regarding the Budget offerings by Gator Pit: if my budget creeps up close to that $1k mark, I'd definitely talk to them!

Also, the Lyfe Tyme company has been recommended to me. I'll find out what they are retailing for locally to see if that is also an option.

Regardless, I just don't think I can fire up that ECB again! :cool:

ZILLA
06-17-2009, 01:13 PM
This place has both the 20" and 24" diameter size which is kind of hard to find. It's not too bad a ride from Katy. The prices there however are outrageous. But at least you can go and look at them.

20"x40" $1030.00
24"x40" $1840.00
Both of these are on skids, which makes no sense to me. I know they make them with wheels.

http://www.chimchimneys.com/lyfe_tyme_pits

I'd drive to the factory if you could get a deal there. Spend the night in Concan on the Frio river and pick up the pit the next day.

In the end I don't think they're as good a deal as they once were.

ZILLA
06-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Got curious and called out to Lyfe Tyme for factory pick up.

20"x40" single door on wheels $990.00
24"x40" single door with wheels $1550.00

Now this is all drop in food racks, nothing sliding. very basic pit with a baffle only.

There is currently at least a 10 week wait.

aks801
06-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the deep-research, Zilla. Those kind of prices on the LyfeTime, I'd have to pass. The Budget offering by Ritch here locally would no doubt trump it.

1FUNVET
06-17-2009, 02:27 PM
Yep, regarding the inlet into the smoking chamber I figured that might an issue. I would plan to improve that by picking up some scrap sheet steel, then welding it over that area to function as a diffuser.

Regarding the Budget offerings by Gator Pit: if my budget creeps up close to that $1k mark, I'd definitely talk to them!

Also, the Lyfe Tyme company has been recommended to me. I'll find out what they are retailing for locally to see if that is also an option.

Regardless, I just don't think I can fire up that ECB again! :cool:

Mine had the diffuser plate already welded on. I am getting ready to order a convection plate from Horizon p/n HSA004A , item name 16" modified convection plate that will fit my 16".Priced at 55.00 plus shipping.

OUT OF ORDER
06-17-2009, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the deep-research, Zilla. Those kind of prices on the LyfeTime, I'd have to pass. The Budget offering by Ritch here locally would no doubt trump it.
like i said have mine ill sell ya for 250$ i can post more pics or you can search the sales page i had it there and the pics are there:icon_devil:icon_devil:icon_devil:icon_devil: mrgreen:

Smokey Al Gold
06-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Life Tyme are really really good pits. They are made in my hometown and lots of people have them there. Excellent quality.

1FUNVET
06-17-2009, 03:31 PM
like i said have mine ill sell ya for 250$ i can post more pics or you can search the sales page i had it there and the pics are there:icon_devil:icon_devil:icon_devil:icon_devil: mrgreen:

I wish this deal was available before i bought mine.Only problem would be my wife wanting to visit the grandkids in Burleson.You should not have a problem selling it.:-D

OUT OF ORDER
06-17-2009, 04:21 PM
ive posted it like 3 times in the past 3 months or so not much talk back about it dont know ill keep trying i paid 599 for it and amselling for 250 its a yr old sounds good to me it works great

aks801
06-18-2009, 04:36 PM
Sounds like an awesome deal, I just don't know about getting up there and getting it back home. Don't own a pick-up! (blasphemy, I know).

Thanks again for mentioning it.

1FUNVET
06-18-2009, 04:59 PM
For the money saved, might check into rentng a truck or if you have a hitch, rent a trailer. Your only problem will be getting it unloaded, It took me,grandson and one of his friends to unload mine and this is a lot heavier one.

aks801
06-18-2009, 05:15 PM
For the money saved, might check into rentng a truck or if you have a hitch, rent a trailer. Your only problem will be getting it unloaded, It took me,grandson and one of his friends to unload mine and this is a lot heavier one.

Good point. U-Haul does have pick-em-up trucks.