PDA

View Full Version : UDS brisket flat advice

pinghacker
06-13-2009, 07:44 PM
Finally found a brisket near me but it is the flat only. It is 6lbs and I need advice as to when I should put it on. We want it for tomorrow's dinner (around 5). I plan on cooking at 225.

I figured if it was a whole brisket I would put it on at midnight, but being that it is the flat only, should I shoot for early in the morning?

What do people usually pay for this stuff? Where I went it was 3.99/lb. Thought that was kind of high. Also, I saw no grade on the cryovac. I'd have to assume that it must be less than choice. When I asked for a brisket, the guy at the counter said they would be 3 or 4 lbs. I said they must be the flat only and he seemed puzzled. Then another counter person chimed in and said that it was a whole brisket, and it was only 3 to 4 lbs after trimming. I told them not to trim it, give it to me in the cryovac. It is flat only.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bbq Bubba
06-13-2009, 08:31 PM
Hey neighbor! I pay about $1.59/lb. :shock:
A 6 lb flat will cook on a drum in about 8 hrs at 250*
Next time try Restaurant Depot or Sams for a packer brisket for about the same price!

ON THE FARM
06-13-2009, 08:39 PM
A flat will cook a lot faster that a whole brisket.
I would go for a morning cook, I have had flats finish in as little as 4 hours and as long as 7 hours.
If it is done early just foil and put in a cooler till dinner.
Flats are a lot more money that a whole brisket, I can find whole briskets for .99 a LB some times but most of the time a whole is $1.48 to $1.68 a LB.

pinghacker
06-13-2009, 08:44 PM
Hey Bubba, I sent an order your way for some rub. Not in time for the brisket but the next for sure.

I don't do the Sam's club 'cause it costs me too much money. I get stuff cheap that I never would have bought in the first place. I heard that Restaurant Depot doesn't sell to the general public. Is that wrong? I think they are close to me.

Bbq Bubba
06-13-2009, 08:51 PM
Hey Bubba, I sent an order your way for some rub. Not in time for the brisket but the next for sure.

I don't do the Sam's club 'cause it costs me too much money. I get stuff cheap that I never would have bought in the first place. I heard that Restaurant Depot doesn't sell to the general public. Is that wrong? I think they are close to me.

I'm buying 2 cases a week, look me up at my vending trailer some time and i'll hook a new brother up!

4TheLoveofBrisket
06-13-2009, 09:55 PM
Hello, fellow mitten dweller. I just did a whole, packer trimmed today. It was 11 lbs in the cryovac, and I estimate about 10 after I trimmed it to about a 1/4 inch of fat all around. I'm familiar with those flat's that you're talking about. Meijer, & Kroger both sell them, and I've even done a couple, when I didn't have 10-12 hrs to devote to a brisket. Anyway, I put my 10 lb'er on this morning at 5:30 am. Wrapped it at about 5:30 pm because I was waiting for late arriving guests. Finally pulled it at about 6:15, and let it rest for 30 mins. But, mind you, this was a whole brisket. In my experience, the couple of flats I did took about an hour to an hour twenty mins a pound @ 220. Your mileage may very. Best suggestion would be to start keeping a close eye on the temp at about 5 hrs, if you manage to stay close to that 225 degree target. When your temp probe slides in and out easily, it's probably done.

Incidentally, if you're looking for a whole packer trimmed brisket, there's a place down here in the "downriver" area (kinda a drive from Troy I know) that usually has a nice selection. I can give you directions if you're interested. To this end, I've also seen some whole packer trimmed at the Wal-Mart superstore near me, but I try not to shop there. But if you have one near you, you might give it a shot if you're unable to find a source anywhere else.

Good luck, and I hope you'll post your results on here! :-D

4TheLoveofBrisket
06-13-2009, 09:57 PM
A flat will cook a lot faster that a whole brisket.
I would go for a morning cook, I have had flats finish in as little as 4 hours and as long as 7 hours.
If it is done early just foil and put in a cooler till dinner.
Flats are a lot more money that a whole brisket, I can find whole briskets for .99 a LB some times but most of the time a whole is $1.48 to $1.68 a LB.

$.99 cents a pound? MUST BE NICE living down there in God's Country (Texas). :lol::lol: