PDA

View Full Version : BGE v. Primo

bander7003
06-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Is there a difference between a BGE and a Primo... quality, price, extras, cooking? I hear a lot about BGEs but not so much about Primos.

Arthur D
06-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Yep, a few.

There are a few youtube videos on specific build differences. Worth watching.

For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7j1vXcZ5V4

Divemaster
06-04-2009, 05:01 PM
First let me say that I have an Egg that I cook on regularly, and I don't have a Primo and I have never cooked on one.

Guess my vote would be for the BGE.

Finney
06-04-2009, 05:05 PM
I've got a Primo (actually two). The reasons I picked them over the BGE... the Oval shape and Made in the USA!

Divemaster
06-04-2009, 06:14 PM
Made in the USA!

One of the best reasons I've heard of!

I bought mine used, does that count?

thillin
06-04-2009, 06:32 PM
BGE - lifetime warranty.

Primo - 20 year warranty.

Alot depends on how close a dealer is. My dealer is close and his distributor is close. I can get just about anything from BGE in 2 days or less if not in stock.

gtsum
06-04-2009, 06:46 PM
both cook great...pretty much the same ceramic thickness, heat retention, etc. The biggest diff is made in usa (primo) and the shape...I have a Primo Oval XL, and will likely get a medium or small BGE for quick cooks...you cant go wrong with either one

thillin
06-04-2009, 06:53 PM
I've got a Primo (actually two). The reasons I picked them over the BGE... the Oval shape and Made in the USA!

Good cause, but compared to how much money from other houshold items that are going to things made elsewhere, a couple of hundred dollars max going to Mexico one time isn't much of a dent. The company is based in Georgia.

millsy
06-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Which is bigger the BGE xl or the primo oval xl?

thillin
06-04-2009, 07:03 PM
XL BGE - 452 sq in
Oval - 400 sq in

Rick's Tropical Delight
06-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Good cause, but compared to how much money from other houshold items that are going to things made elsewhere, a couple of hundred dollars max going to Mexico one time isn't much of a dent. The company is based in Georgia.

"good cause"
that's great! :biggrin:

next time you go to get a weber replacement grid for your UDS, look on the packaging for the country.

if you want a german car, you buy a car made in germany. if you want some great ceramics, go to mexico

snoqualmiesmoker
06-04-2009, 07:20 PM
XL BGE - 452 sq in
Oval - 400 sq in
Both those are just on one level.

But the stupid XL lid limits the second level of cooking. The Primo gets up to a true 680 in cooking space with space between the top and the food. Why BGE did the lid the way they did was dumb. Grill Domes Superdome has a normal lid (like the large) and lifts easy.

While I would always say buy the egg (large) if you want a big one, the Superdome or the Primo XL oval is the way to go.

Check out this:
http://askabutcher.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=170

I love my egg, but my next one will be different, unless they fix the top of the XL.

snoqualmiesmoker
06-04-2009, 07:21 PM
"good cause"
that's great! :biggrin:

next time you go to get a weber replacement grid for your UDS, look on the packaging for the country.

if you want a german car, you buy a car made in germany. if you want some great ceramics, go to mexico

Hell, my "American Car" was made in Canada. Sad, really.

thirdeye
06-04-2009, 07:23 PM
I don't own a Primo either, but I'm a regular on their site and see some great stuff cooked on the Oval XL and the Oval Jr. A lot of folks there are ex-Egg owners. I like the oval shape and the legs on the grate which allow you to cook raised direct.

BGE does not warranty Eggs purchased over the internet. Primo does as long as you perform certain delivery inspections.

gtsum
06-04-2009, 07:28 PM

But the stupid XL lid limits the second level of cooking. The Primo gets up to a true 680 in cooking space with space between the top and the food. Why BGE did the lid the way they did was dumb. Grill Domes Superdome has a normal lid (like the large) and lifts easy.

While I would always say buy the egg (large) if you want a big one, the Superdome or the Primo XL oval is the way to go.

Check out this:
http://askabutcher.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=170

I love my egg, but my next one will be different, unless they fix the top of the XL.

I believe they changed the lid on the 2009 BGE XL....

I have cooked on several eggs, and currently cook on a Primo Oval XL - they are both good and you can flip a coin imo between the two (most all ceramic cookers are pretty equal imo....except for the Komodo Kamodo...that is on another level altogether...I showed the wife one on the net and asked if I could get it and the response was not so great :)....maybe I can talk her into a blue tiled one as that is her fav color??!)...get whichever strikes your fancy and you can get some local support on - you will really like either one I think

snoqualmiesmoker
06-04-2009, 07:30 PM
I believe they changed the lid on the 2009 BGE XL....

No they just cut the firebox and the fire-ring by about an inch.

Fred shows all the differences here:
http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/533.htm

millsy
06-04-2009, 07:34 PM

Check out this:

Size is a big deal,sounds like the primo has more over all room.I have never seen a oval xl but they seem bigger.

Rick's Tropical Delight
06-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Hell, my "American Car" was made in Canada. Sad, really.

it's a global economy, deal with it or live in a cave.

thillin
06-04-2009, 08:06 PM

Check out this:

If you're wanting to compare 2nd level, you can always add tjv's flip ring to the XL.
http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=64&Itemid=231

Looks to add another 360 or so more sq inches.

snoqualmiesmoker
06-04-2009, 11:08 PM

Can I get the internets in my cave?

cheez59
06-26-2009, 11:40 PM

Because of the "global economy" we might all be living in a cave before much longer.

BUY THINGS MADE IN THE USA!

Rick's Tropical Delight
06-27-2009, 07:24 AM
Because of the "global economy" we might all be living in a cave before much longer.

BUY THINGS MADE IN THE USA!

this is such a silly arguement. where were all the parts for the computer you are typing on come from?

cheez59
06-27-2009, 07:32 AM
this is such a silly arguement. where were all the parts for the computer you are typing on come from?

I had no choice when I bought this computer. My point is that when we have a choice ad most things being equal then we should buy USA.
That's all.
Sorry if I ruffled some feathers by trying to keep jobs in our country.

Rick's Tropical Delight
06-27-2009, 07:43 AM
whatever, man. you are free to purchase whatever you want. enjoy.

perhaps we should ban all the people on this forum that are from another country too.

check this out
http://www.weber.com/
hmmmmm, interesting

chambersuac
06-27-2009, 09:06 AM
I think Rick and Cheez need to hug it out :grin:

Rick's Tropical Delight
06-27-2009, 09:36 AM
no reason to do that, unless he really wants to hug. i just think in 2009, that sentiment is silly. it's just my silly opinion, just like his opinion is his silly opinion. i'm simply presenting the other viewpoint. take it or leave it, and it is what it is.

people say they have no choice when in reality, there is always a choice. if it's buy american, then buy american and american only and absolutely nothing else.

if my first ceramic cooker was a primo, i would probably have 5 primos right now.
edit: i should add that i've never seen a primo in person, so i am just speculating here

Muzzlebrake
06-27-2009, 11:34 AM
perhaps we should ban all the people on this forum that are from another country too.

you mean like the Texans?
:cool::biggrin:

snoqualmiesmoker
06-27-2009, 12:17 PM
whatever, man. you are free to purchase whatever you want. enjoy.

check this out
http://www.weber.com/
hmmmmm, interesting

Weber. Made in China.

Rick's Tropical Delight
06-27-2009, 12:22 PM
you mean like the Texans?
:cool::biggrin:

:biggrin:

are all the weber parts made in china? i wasn't sure except for the replacement grids i've bought.

just pick a ceramic cooker and get to cooking! :biggrin:

cmcadams
06-27-2009, 04:09 PM
The biggest differences I heard in the video had to do with assembly. I think they're pretty similar units from what I've seen.

Rick's Tropical Delight
06-27-2009, 04:14 PM
hey curt, where is the bubba keg made? does it say?

cmcadams
06-27-2009, 04:41 PM
I think it's made in china, but I'll have to check.

Rick's Tropical Delight
06-27-2009, 04:53 PM
thanks, curt. i was just curious.

you know the real point is it really doesn't matter where your cooker is cast or made or constructed or headquartered. every cooker has its own pluses and minuses and they all have their own indiocycrences as to how they work best. for me, i don't really care where it's from as long as it gives me the tastiest thing in front of me that day. it could be a campfire and a cast iron skillet.

if it makes you feel any better, my garages are full of chevys. real American metal.
what's in your garage? :biggrin:

chambersuac
06-27-2009, 05:53 PM
thanks, curt. i was just curious.

you know the real point is it really doesn't matter where your cooker is cast or made or constructed or headquartered. every cooker has its own pluses and minuses and they all have their own indiocycrences as to how they work best. for me, i don't really care where it's from as long as it gives me the tastiest thing in front of me that day. it could be a campfire and a cast iron skillet.

if it makes you feel any better, my garages are full of chevys. real American metal.
what's in your garage? :biggrin:

actually, a whole lot of junk. Isn't it funny we keep our $30,000 Dodge in the driveway so we can keep our junk inside? Actually, a lot of the junk ISN'T junk, but still, it's silly

Rick's Tropical Delight
06-27-2009, 08:40 PM
actually, a whole lot of junk. Isn't it funny we keep our $30,000 Dodge in the driveway so we can keep our junk inside? Actually, a lot of the junk ISN'T junk, but still, it's silly

finally. someone that understands, welcome to my world :roll:

Big Poppa
06-28-2009, 09:01 AM
I will stray form the hijack and then give my measly .02

I have a primo xl and its a neat cooker The firebox has already cracked and so has the main ceramic shell. THey claim to not have received my photos tho their customer service dept even though I have proof of delivery....last call un answered.....

I hope they will stand by their product. We will see.

I think that buying American is very important but the majors exporters to USA are supporting our economy by buying our bonds stocks and core financial products including currency.

I think that the problem is that you usually get what you pay for in most cases. I think we are all tired of buying an electronic product only to discover it's disposable.

I know that the markets perception of Traeger is that the new ones that are made in China are not made to the same quality standards. I have two friends that Traegers broke within the first ten cooks.

If the product is going to have the same customer service, quality, and price if ones made in America then I will vote with my dollar. Buying something just because its made in USA when its not as good is telling them its ok to make another mediocre one.

I am not excited yet about Primo's customer service and I hear great things about the EGG...I dont like that the BGE people allowed Sam's to sell the Eggs and then told people they wouldnt honor the warranty. Even if they didnt sell them directly it is hard to not know that a huge order is going someplace it shouldnt. In this case I think the BGE is punishing the customer. I hope that they revisited that policy decision.

Chipper
06-28-2009, 10:45 AM
How about a Grill Dome? Made in India where they invented Tandoori cooking. The company is based in Georgia as well. Great service and cool colors.
http://grilldome.com/11Reasons.html

FatDaddy
06-28-2009, 11:47 AM
I am not excited yet about Primo's customer service and I hear great things about the EGG...I dont like that the BGE people allowed Sam's to sell the Eggs and then told people they wouldnt honor the warranty. Even if they didnt sell them directly it is hard to not know that a huge order is going someplace it shouldnt. In this case I think the BGE is punishing the customer. I hope that they revisited that policy decision.

As one of the customers who bought a Large Egg at Sams. That was my first call after my local dealer said BGE wouldnt honor it. I called and spoke with BGE and they said that they would honor all warranties through the mother ship but I would likely have a hard time getting any warranty problems covered with the local dealer and to forget about SAMS honoring any warranty. But I could deal directly with the home office. Just hope I dont have to ship anything heavy lol.

gtsum
06-28-2009, 07:01 PM
Sorry you have not had a pleasant Primo Customer Service experience. I cracked my firebox and e mailed them a pic and told them what happened and I had a brand new one on my front door within 5 days. I would definately e mail them again or give them a call. They will get you fixed up

Big Poppa
06-28-2009, 09:39 PM
great and also great to hear the bge will honor the warranty.