PDA

View Full Version : Big Green Egg

chemo-sabe
06-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Hello all, I have a Weber bbq and am new to bar bq, although I enjoy cooking. Now Country HB has recommended a BGE. I have looked at the cost and it made me cringe (large about $740 + options). The thing is it seems versatile, able to do breads and I understand I could use it just like an oven to do chateau briand, capon, etc. I just wonder if it is really as great as advertised. I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks,
Chemo-sabe.:icon_sick

Divemaster
06-02-2009, 02:45 PM
I love my BGE (Large)... I'll be the first to admit that I do not put her through all of the paces that others do but that just drives me on!

JD McGee
06-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Hello all, I have a Weber bbq and am new to bar bq, although I enjoy cooking. Now Country HB has recommended a BGE. I have looked at the cost and it made me cringe (large about $740 + options). The thing is it seems versatile, able to do breads and I understand I could use it just like an oven to do chateau briand, capon, etc. I just wonder if it is really as great as advertised. I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks,
Chemo-sabe.:icon_sick

Yes...and then some!
Pardon my shouting bro but yes...the BGE is all that and a bag of chips too! :-P

thillin
06-02-2009, 03:15 PM
It's an ivestment worth the expense. Grill, smoke, bake, etc. Great pizza oven!

chemo-sabe
06-02-2009, 03:46 PM
thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I have some money coming to me in July and I think I will get the large with the Plate setter and the grill extender. Will look elsewhere for the pizza stone. Thanks again,

Tom

thillin
06-02-2009, 03:50 PM
thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I have some money coming to me in July and I think I will get the large with the Plate setter and the grill extender. Will look elsewhere for the pizza stone. Thanks again,

Tom

I'd still go with BGE pizza stone also. It's made for the abuse. Plus I know my dealer will replace mine if it breaks.

Countryhb
06-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Yo, I thought I told you to never repeat the fact that I suggested a BGE to you? Now I'll never be able to publicly laugh at the Eggheads!

BBQ_MAFIA
06-02-2009, 04:34 PM
I can't say enough good stuff about my X-large.

You will love the BGE.

LMAJ
06-02-2009, 06:42 PM
I'd still go with BGE pizza stone also. It's made for the abuse.
Yep - go for it - we took the plunge last summer and have never looked back. Easy to use, versatile, just do it - you will not be sorry....

JD McGee
06-02-2009, 06:44 PM

Tom

Tom,

Not sure where you are located in CA but there is an EggFest in the Bay Area the end of this month. You can save a few hundred dollars by purchasing a "Demo" BGE...:-P here's a link...
http://eggsbythebay.com/2009_Eggfest.html

Rick's Tropical Delight
06-02-2009, 07:23 PM
here's my advice. learn to cook on your weber. then after a couple years, decide if you are serious and then look at ceramic cookers if you think you want to go in that direction. the egg will not magically cook everything you stick in it. you have to know how to cook first.

LMAJ
06-02-2009, 07:29 PM
the egg will not magically cook everything you stick in it. You have to know how to cook first.
what??????

Rick's Tropical Delight
06-02-2009, 07:39 PM
what??????

it's true

CajunSmoker
06-02-2009, 08:30 PM
I've had egg envy for a while now.:icon_blush: However, all the talk about the gasket problems has me second guessing whether an egg is for me?????

Rick's Tropical Delight
06-02-2009, 08:42 PM
I've had egg envy for a while now.:icon_blush: However, all the talk about the gasket problems has me second guessing whether an egg is for me?????

the gasket is a maintenance item just like an air filter on your car. some recently sold eggs have reportedly defective gaskets. big green egg will send you a free "nomex" gasket if you have one of these "bad" gaskets.

any questions about egg gaskets should be asked of big green egg headquarters at the contact info on their website.

Smokin Mike
06-02-2009, 08:55 PM
I am looking/shopping for that type of a cooker, but I am leaning towards the primo, american made, and oval instead of round.

I am surpised DR. BBQ has not chimed yet, must be busy :)

thillin
06-02-2009, 09:35 PM
I have 3 eggs, and will add another large or XL. I compete with them and cook at home with them. If you get one, it needs to be cooked on.

worf
06-02-2009, 10:18 PM
I got a large egg last week. Here in Canada, it was 1099.00 plus taxes and extras. Have only used it a few times. Love it a lot. Am looking forward to many years of cooking and experimenting.

You will really love it.

deez20
06-03-2009, 01:50 AM
I've had my Lbge since last august and love it.Still has the original gasket too. Looking to add either a 2nd large or medium as well for competitions. Last comp I think on one load of lump I had it going for almost 20 hours..man I love this thing.

thillin
06-03-2009, 06:28 AM
I've had my Lbge since last august and love it.Still has the original gasket too. Looking to add either a 2nd large or medium as well for competitions. Last comp I think on one load of lump I had it going for almost 20 hours..man I love this thing.

My Large will be 2 tomorrow. My medium is like 4 years old. Both have original gaskets. They sometimes get abused for comps. I've been known to bump the temp up to 500 with a plate setter in to finish chicken in time.:cool:

gtsum
06-03-2009, 06:46 AM
I have a Primo ceramic cooker and love it. You will not be disappointed with the BGE - they are worth it and then some, and in the grand scheme of things, the price is not too bad considering what you can do with it (bake a pizza, sear meat at 800 degrees, smoke at 225 degrees, cook in weather conditions, etc, etc).

chemo-sabe
06-05-2009, 01:15 PM
thanks again

Divemaster
06-05-2009, 01:33 PM
here's my advice. learn to cook on your weber. then after a couple years, decide if you are serious and then look at ceramic cookers if you think you want to go in that direction. the egg will not magically cook everything you stick in it. you have to know how to cook first.

what??????

it's true

And next your going to tell me there is no Easter Bunny....:cry:

Don Marco
06-05-2009, 01:58 PM
And next your going to tell me there is no Easter Bunny....:cry:

Ummm....Well, there once was an easter bunny but... :roll:

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/9771/bunnykii.jpg

On Topic :

I own a Primo XL, 2 Large BGE and a Mini Egg and love them all.
Ceramic cooking is like a new world of BBQ and outdoor cooking. I dont know anyone who regrets buying one of those even if they seem expensive at first.

DM

JD McGee
06-05-2009, 02:41 PM

Oh yes it will...I've seen it in person...personally...:twisted:

the gasket is a maintenance item just like an air filter on your car. some recently sold eggs have reportedly defective gaskets. big green egg will send you a free "nomex" gasket if you have one of these "bad" gaskets.

any questions about egg gaskets should be asked of big green egg headquarters at the contact info on their website.

BGE customer service is top notch...:-P

JD McGee
06-05-2009, 02:42 PM

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/9771/bunnykii.jpg

On Topic :

I own a Primo XL, 2 Large BGE and a Mini Egg and love them all.
Ceramic cooking is like a new world of BBQ and outdoor cooking. I dont know anyone who regrets buying one of those even if they seem expensive at first.

DM

:eek::eek::eek:...say it isn't so man! :twisted:

Rick's Tropical Delight
06-05-2009, 05:29 PM

DM

!! where's the rest of it?

BBQchef33
06-05-2009, 08:24 PM

dont lket the gasket issue give u a wedgie.

Mine had the bad gasket(its actually bad adhesive). What i didnt know was that BGE shipped the bad eggs with a replacement gasket and a note that the lot I had had bad adhesive. it stated that the gasket may come loose and heres a replacment with instruction s on how to replace it.

I replaced mine in about 20 miutes withthe replacemtn in the box(cleaning required was minimal since the egg only had a few cooks on it when i replaced it.). i called BGE and the sent me a high heat gasket which i have not put on yet.. The replacment felt gasket is holding up fine withthe new adhesive.

BGE send me

Single Fin Smoker
06-06-2009, 01:10 AM
Bro, I'd do like Rick says. Start smoking indirect on a weber kettle then work your way up to say a WSM.
I started out on ecb and never regretted it.