PDA

View Full Version : Need Brethren help--Guru and batteries

comfrank
06-01-2009, 04:12 PM
I originally posted this on (what I thought were) more appropriate forums, but got zero answers. Surely some of you Brethren out there run Gurus off of batteries during competitions. Although, electricity is usually supplied, I'm afraid someone might accidentally kick loose an electrical cord and I'll wake up to a cold smoker. As far as I'm concerned, lantern batteries are the answer. But, being an electronics doofus, I'd like someone to double check my connections.

The Guru kit comes with two cords. One, which I'll call the "unit cord", plugs into the DigiQ and ends in two alligator clips, one red one black. The second cord, which I'll call the "jumper", is just a small cord with a red alligator clip on one end and a black on the other.

Here is how I think it should be set up:

1. Plug the jack of the unit cord into the DigiQ
2. Clip red alligator clip of the unit cord to the positive terminal of battery 1.
3. Clip the black alligator clip of the jumper to the negative terminal of battery 1.
4. Clip the red alligator clip of the jumper to the positive terminal of battery 2.
5. Clip the black alligator clip of the unit cord to the negative terminal of battery 2.
6. Dial in my settings and start cooking.

Does the above seem correct?

Thanks,
--frank in Wilson, NY

Coz
06-01-2009, 04:37 PM
I have ran my my gurus off of a car battery but not off the lantern.You would be best off to call the folks at Guru for the proper answer if no one else is answering.I ran 2 gurus off a single car battery for a comp with no issues.

Sawdustguy
06-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Let me take a stab at this. If I recall correctly the BBQ Guru can work off of 12 volts DC. If you wish to use two 6 volt lantern batteries here is how you can hook them up. Take the cord and plug it into the guru. Take the red alligator clip on the cord to the positive terminal of one of the 6 volt lantern batteries. Tale the jumper cable and place the black alligator clip on the negative of that same battery and the red aligator clip on the positive of the second battery. Take the black aligator clip on the cable that goes to the guru and place it on the negative terminal of the second battery. In essence you are putting the two 6 volt lanterern batteries in series. I better get it right as I am a degreed electrical engineer and that is DC circuits 101. See below.

http://www.2fatpolocksbbq.com/webimages/gurubat.gif

watertowerbbq
06-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Frank,

I cooked in a comp 2 weekends ago and powered my DigiQII with a Black and Decker jump start pack. It worked great and I'll be using it again this weekend.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg213/watertowerbbq/034.jpg

The temp on the guru only shows a single digit due to the refresh rate. Hope this helps.

Jeff_in_KC
06-01-2009, 06:42 PM
When we have no electricty, we run the Guru off of a deep cycle battery and a power inverter. Plug in as normal! Good to go!

Solidkick
06-01-2009, 09:44 PM
When we have no electricty, we run the Guru off of a deep cycle battery and a power inverter. Plug in as normal! Good to go!

And you can get both at.......... (I know better) :twisted:

Yep, this is the ticket I would say.

Jeff, you need to teach me more about this Guru thingy....the older I get, the more sleep I require....

comfrank
06-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks everyone. I knew you all would be able to help me out!

--frank in Wilson, NY