PDA

View Full Version : Q's about road side vending

timmy7649
05-21-2009, 11:01 PM
here in oregon you have cook every thing on site i was just wondering how to keep things warm after it has cooked and for it not to dry out. all i have is a easy up and tables. just a little confused on how everyone does it. and can you use left over rib meat for pulled pork or is that a no no. hard to cook pork butt on such a short time period every day. it sucks here you cant even store left overs at home. thanks for the help. tim

Pig Headed
05-22-2009, 05:41 AM
Get yourself a cambro or other food carrier to hold food. You can use a cooler in the meantime. Can you start your butts at home and finish them onsite? I would stay away from using the ribs for pulled pork. How 'bout pulled chicken. Fatties can be done onsite as well as regular chicken and ribs. Good luck.

timmy7649
05-22-2009, 07:42 AM
we can not start the buts at home which really sucks. how long will a cambro keep meat warm for. will those pans with the sterno heat under them work? thanks for the advice.

Jacked UP BBQ
05-22-2009, 10:28 AM
Rib meat for pulled pork would be very expensive. I would try and hook up with a local restaurant and see if you can use them as a commisary and then you would be able to prepare the food off site. You can also purchase prepared food from a restaurant supplier, or at least say you did if you know what I mean! There are many ways to get around the rules just keep it clean and run a solid operation and they will never look into it. Good luck

timmy7649
05-22-2009, 11:02 AM
i like your thinking.

Jacked UP BBQ
05-22-2009, 11:06 AM
Also remember or around here anyway, I had a spot on the sode of the road for almost a year and never met a health inspector

timmy7649
05-22-2009, 11:10 AM
thats awsome. do you have to get inspected in the begining?

Chuckwagonbbqco
05-22-2009, 01:13 PM
Cash and Carry sells boxes of precooked "Pulled Pork" If you happened to have an empty box from "Cash and Carry" that was labeled precooked pulled pork, then any inspector would have to conclude that the pulled pork that you have on hand was bought from "Cash and Carry" and reheated on site.

timmy7649
05-22-2009, 03:31 PM
nice thinking. so you just have to make the hd think that you are obeying the rules? is that what you all do.

Chuckwagonbbqco
05-25-2009, 12:01 PM
No---we are the stupid ones, we try and do everything legally. That is why we pay too much money for all of the permits, pay too much rent for a catering kitchen, buy too much insurance, and dilligently report every nickel's worth of business , so that we can send large checks to the California State Board of Equalization.

It is up to each individual to make their own trail. Some rules seem very idiotic, and other rules make perfect sense. I am sure that "on site" cooking rules were not written with pulled pork or brisket in mind.

I agree with OC Pig Assassins----do the best you can possibly do to conform to Health Dept regulations. I would also suggest finding a low cost commissary. You may never see an inspector----most counties are overloaded. Be prepared for an inspector to arrive at any moment, and educate yourself to answer questions properly.

Michael in PA
05-27-2009, 11:14 PM
For hot holding roadside or event vending we use Camp Chef stoves (Costco) with six inch spillage pans (water) and four inch steam table pans (product). The HD inspectors love them cuz they hold at a high temp. But that also means you need fast turnover. The best thing is that they break down and I can fit 9 wells in the back of my Subaru.

timmy7649
05-28-2009, 12:12 AM
wow that sounds cool. would you be willing to share some pics so i can get a better idea of how it is set up.

Michael in PA
05-28-2009, 10:50 AM
wow that sounds cool. would you be willing to share some pics so i can get a better idea of how it is set up.

Yes, but it will take a couple days for me to take some and post them.

timmy7649
05-28-2009, 11:07 AM
sweet thanks. that will be very helpfull.