PDA

View Full Version : Contest Announcment Bedford Blues & BBQ, Bedford, TX - Sept. 5-6, 2009 - KCBS sanctioned

Jorge
05-20-2009, 10:25 AM
I spoke to the organizer this morning, and got some answers to some questions I'd heard as well as some rumors.

1) This will be a KCBS sanctioned event. There is no consideration being given to switching to IBCA or other sanctioning bodies as has been rumored. The other rumor that was associated with that is also false.

2) This is a first year event, and they are working on getting a proclamation from Gov. Perry. The event is currently 9 teams short of the required 15 to make it a qualifier for the Royal and Jack.

3) Spaces have been increased to 40x20, 2 20 Amp circuits are provided and more can be purchased. Water will be available if you aren't bringing your RV:wink:

4) More CBJs are needed.

Here is the press release that will be running soon:
BEDFORD, TX – Music lovers with an appetite for mouth-watering barbecue and tasty blues will find the 2009 City of Bedford Labor Day Blues & BBQ Festival a feast for the senses. The two-day event returns Sept. 5-6 with a $10,000 barbecue cook-off and blues legends Buddy Guy and The Fabulous Thunderbirds.
Pit masters will have their chance to go for $10,000 in prize money as they compete in Bedford’s first cook-off sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbecue Society. Participants can register by paying a $200 entry fee that includes a 40’x20’ space, water and electric hookups and admission into the four categories: beef brisket, pork ribs (spare or loin) chicken and pork butt. For an additional $15, pit masters can even enter a special competition for the best sauce. Entry forms and complete details can be found on the event web site: www.bedfordbluesbbq.com (http://www.bedfordbluesbbq.com/).
When the grills cool down, the music heats up. Here’s the music lineup:

Saturday, Sept. 5
3 p.m. The Chris Watson Band
4:30 p.m. The Joe Jonas Band
6 p.m. The Tejas Brothers
7:30 p.m. Omar and Howlers
9 p.m. The Fabulous Thunderbirds
Sunday, Sept. 6
3 p.m. The Holland K. Smith Band
4:30 p.m. Dave Millsap
6 p.m. Buddy Whittington
7:30 p.m. Chris Duarte
9 p.m. Buddy Guy

The outdoor Festival is 2 to 11 p.m. each day at 1613 Hospital Parkway in Bedford, at the intersection of Highway 121 and Airport Freeway. Daily general admission lawn seating is $5.00. Limited reserved seats that include general admission are available for $10 and may be purchased online beginning April 13. Lawn chairs and blankets are permitted. Coolers, pets, tape recorders, and flash and video cameras are not allowed. On-site parking is $10.00. Free parking at nearby Pennington Field football stadium is a short walk from the festival site.
The City of Bedford Labor Day Blues & BBQ Festival is possible thanks to the generous support of its sponsor partners: Bedford Hotel Association and Texas Health Resources Harris Methodist H.E.B. Hospital. The event is produced by the City of Bedford.

Here is the link to the contest app.
http://www.bedfordbluesbbq.com/files/bbq%20application2-18-09.pdf

Here is the link to the judges app.
http://www.bedfordbluesbbq.com/files/judges%20app%20blues%20&%20bbq%2009.pdf

If you have questions about the event, and don't get a timely response from the organizer feel free to contact me. If I don't know the answer, I'll do my best to get one for you. If you don't have my personal contact info, please feel free to shoot me a PM or email via the forum and I'll get it to you. This event is unique, being the first KCBS event in Texas that I can remember in quite a few years. I'd like to see it grow, and that's why I'm making an effort to support it as much as I can.

thillin
05-20-2009, 11:15 AM
I've been thinking of it. But I've never even thought of having to garnish a box.

Jorge
05-20-2009, 11:20 AM
I've been thinking of it. But I've never even thought of having to garnish a box.

We'll find some time between now and then. It's not difficult.

tony76248
05-20-2009, 11:33 AM

Much easier than folks think. A 15 minute chore that is actually pretty fun.

thillin
05-20-2009, 12:01 PM
After my trailer is cooled and wired, I might have to do a practice run. I don't even remember the last time I cooked thighs.

Dustaway
05-20-2009, 03:14 PM
looking forward to this event hope the get the gov to sign off

Keller Steeler
05-20-2009, 09:23 PM
I am looking forward to this. Ty - a little parsley never killed anyone.

Jorge
07-15-2009, 09:46 AM
I heard from the organizer the other day with some answers to a few questions I've been asked.

1) Late entries are being accepted until the end of the month.

2) 25 teams as of yesterday (with space added for a few more)

3) There is a proclamation in hand from the governor.

4) She sent out email to those that have already sent in their app and check. If you didn't get the email, you should probably make a call to make sure that you are in.

More importantly, this event is now the organizers primary focus. That should help with some of the past issues of getting a timely response.

gmholler
07-15-2009, 02:13 PM
[...]
4) She sent out email to those that have already sent in their app and check. If you didn't get the email, you should probably make a call to make sure that you are in.

So does that mean that the judges have been notified as well?

Lynn.

Jorge
07-15-2009, 02:21 PM

Lynn.

I don't know. If you can't get an answer let me know, and I'll see if I have better luck.

thillin
07-16-2009, 09:24 PM
If I can get someone to work for me on Sunday Sept 6, I'll do it. See if I can get a committment from work by the end of the month.

Jorge
07-17-2009, 09:36 AM

Lynn.

I would check with Wendy. I just heard from her, and judges are still needed.

If you don't have her contact info, it should be available on the app. found at the link below.

http://www.bedfordbluesbbq.com/bbqinfo.htm

gmholler
07-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Sent her something yesterday(7/18 ); I'll reply if I hear back.

Thanks!

Lynn.

Butcher BBQ
07-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Did I understand the paper work correctly that this is a Saturday sunday contest not a Friday Saturday contest?

We are already signed up, just need some clarification.

Ralph
07-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Correct-- Saturday - Sunday I spoke with Wendy today. She has her ducks lining up. Lots of activities, free tickets to various things, etc. Yes, she still needs a few more judges. Karen and I look forward to being there.

Ralph Williams, KCBS REP

Butcher BBQ
07-20-2009, 02:28 PM
Correct-- Saturday - Sunday I spoke with Wendy today. She has her ducks lining up. Lots of activities, free tickets to various things, etc. Yes, she still needs a few more judges. Karen and I look forward to being there.

Ralph Williams, KCBS REP

Thanks, See you this weekend.

gmholler
07-21-2009, 08:59 AM
Heard back from Wendy yesterday. We're good to go!

Lynn.