PDA

View Full Version : Jack daniel's oak wood chips

timmy7649
05-13-2009, 01:28 PM
Just wondering if any one has used them. If so let me know what you think,how much and how it tasted?

Big Whiskey
05-13-2009, 01:45 PM
I use them for ribs or steaks sometimes. Adds a nice flavor. The best part is the smell of the smoke when cooking.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
05-13-2009, 01:47 PM
I believe they are white oak, which is very similar to the post oak used in Central Texas. I want to try them sometime.

Rooster
05-13-2009, 02:13 PM
Wife bought me some for Christmas and I loved them. I actually need to get some more. Like Big Whiskey said the smell of the smoke is incredible.

SpammyQ
05-13-2009, 02:26 PM
I've used them and they are great, I did a pork loin with them and it turned out fantastic.

timmy7649
05-13-2009, 03:30 PM
wow now i'm very excited to use them. mmmmmm b.b.q.

mbshop
05-13-2009, 04:17 PM
i use it when i can buy it cheap. good flavor and great smell.

Brian in Maine
05-13-2009, 06:07 PM
I've used the chips, and I wish they made chunks.

mbshop
05-13-2009, 06:39 PM
they are made from the barrels so doubt one could get chunks, maybe sell some staves ?

grindstaff3
05-13-2009, 06:59 PM
There was a post in the past about JD charcoal. Anyone know what came about that? Also, if you wanted to use JD chips in a UDS, how much would you recommend?

swamprb
05-13-2009, 07:01 PM
Where can you get them-I've only seen pellets?

grindstaff3
05-13-2009, 07:05 PM
I've seen chips at Wally World. They are in little black bags (same looking label as the whiskey)

Cheech
05-13-2009, 07:53 PM
used them on chicken before but used too many because it was quite strong. But the flavor was great just strong. Nothing like the smell of the smoke.

NewEnglandQ
05-13-2009, 08:54 PM
I have used these. The best thing about them to me is the smell before you use them. They smell incredible. A mixture of bourbon and oakwood smell. As far as smoke flavor, I did not notice a difference. I think it is kind of like the garlic or onion wood pellets I use from traeger. The garlic or onion flavor does not transfer to the food.

MRI_Guy
05-13-2009, 09:07 PM
Every once in a while Bass Pro Shops has them on sale...........

When they do, I get a few bags.

As others have said - the smell of the smoke is something special.

Rick's Tropical Delight
05-13-2009, 09:16 PM
i use them all the time on beef, pork, and fattys :biggrin:

here's what the bag and smoke looks like. it's a lot different than apple or cherry. the smell of the smoke and fatties with dizzy dust on them is fabulous :eusa_clap

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/eddieclassicII-032.jpg

jrb03
05-13-2009, 09:35 PM
The only way I know of to get chunks is to buy their charcoal, which I use and LOVE.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/jrb03/d2709f5a.jpg

ROLANON
05-13-2009, 09:36 PM
google Kentucky barrels and you will find 5#, 10# and 20# boxes of "used" bourbon barrel chunks for sale... prices include shipping... I've never tried them but I have been drooling over the thought for a while! not JD by name, but chunks just the same!

cardiac_cadet002
05-13-2009, 09:46 PM
I use them all the time and highly recommend them. I can stand around sniffing the bag all day...........ya know, they might make good air fresheners as well:idea:

Rick's Tropical Delight
05-13-2009, 09:53 PM
i've been known to put a chip between my cheek & gum :biggrin:

cardiac_cadet002
05-13-2009, 09:55 PM
I admit it...........I too have chewed on one once or thrice.

grindstaff3
05-13-2009, 10:20 PM
how quick do they burn? I've only used chunks of wood in the UDS. What is the recommendation w/ chips?

grindstaff3
05-13-2009, 10:20 PM
Where can a guy get a bag of this??

The only way I know of to get chunks is to buy their charcoal, which I use and LOVE.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/jrb03/d2709f5a.jpg

jrb03
05-13-2009, 10:26 PM
Where can a guy get a bag of this??

Only place I've seen it is Bass Pro. Im sure its sold elsewhere. I pickup a few bags everytime Im in San Antonio.

swamprb
05-13-2009, 10:36 PM
They were giving them away with the swag at the Jack- I thought I had a bag but musta got lost on the trailer ride back. I use wine barrel chunks-time to get hold of some Jack chunks and give em a try.

Redwingsfn31
05-13-2009, 10:37 PM
Years ago I worked at a store that sold used half whiskey barrels in the summer outside in the garden center. They sold very cheap, but what about buying some of those and cutting them up for smoking. Most people who would buy them would use them for planting or decoration.

OakPit
05-13-2009, 10:39 PM
Agree with Cheech - tastes nothing like to smoke. Use them like oak chips.

busted knuckles
05-13-2009, 10:41 PM
If any of you guys are ever through I-65 in extreme southern middle TN, it's worth the detour to go over to Lynchburg and do the distillery tour. The hills are covered with barns full of aging barrels, and the moment you step out of your vehicle your nose is filled with the smell of the product.
And you can get all the chips/chunks you want, just no product.
Moore county is a dry county.

SpammyQ
05-14-2009, 08:33 AM
i've used the chips, and i wish they made chunks.

me too!!!

cardiac_cadet002
05-14-2009, 09:44 AM
If any of you guys are ever through I-65 in extreme southern middle TN, it's worth the detour to go over to Lynchburg and do the distillery tour. The hills are covered with barns full of aging barrels, and the moment you step out of your vehicle your nose is filled with the smell of the product.
And you can get all the chips/chunks you want, just no product.
Moore county is a dry county.

any idea what they sell for there? Do you mean they come prepackaged like you find at a store or can I bring my truck and get a frontend loader full? That would be awesome!

orangeblood
05-14-2009, 10:45 AM
JD chips smell good but cost too much.

Try a 50/50 blend of mesquite and pecan chips for grilling (anything). Its cheap, smells great and the flavor is pure south Texas.

Just my opinion.

Cliff H.
05-14-2009, 11:27 AM
As some of you may know, I work for Lowe's.

My store carries the 1/2 whiskey barrels as does HD. If your local store carries them then just start watching the inventory. Towards the end of summer when the barrels have dried out further, they will start to collapse. They are stored upside down and stacked but there is always one or two that are upright with nothing in them.

When this happens the associates will thow them in a dumpster. You can pic them up dirt cheap when this happens.....and it does happen...every year. While the barrels are in the collapsing condition, make an offer and explain that you plan to burn them.

I think I paid $10 for the last one that I bought with a few collapsed staves. The barrels can easily be repaired by wetting them but the associates really do not have the time to do what is required.

I have used the staves in the past. The only thing that is a concern to me is the staves that make up the bottoms of the barrels. The tounge and groove joints and the bottom of the barrels are coated with some kind of waxy substance when they are put together, probably to keep them from leaking but it makes the staves burn black. I don't use the wood from the bottoms at all any longer.

The last time I threw a couple of chunks of staves from the walls of the barrels in the fire they seemed to burn black also. I have kinda stopped using them since that happend.

Now that the stack I have is two or three years old I may try them again.

ibait2fish
05-14-2009, 11:57 AM
Years ago I worked at a store that sold used half whiskey barrels in the summer outside in the garden center. They sold very cheap, but what about buying some of those and cutting them up for smoking. Most people who would buy them would use them for planting or decoration.

I think that you must be cautious with those...most seen to have been
treated/antiqued..one way to tell is ask, another is to look at the
bottom. If it appears diferent than the stave wod, then pass.

Better safe than sorry.

timmy7649
05-14-2009, 01:16 PM
i sure would not use them. to risky. you never know what they threw in them when they are sitting around. could you imagine liquid round up. no thank you. ill spend the extra dough.