PDA

View Full Version : AM_Royal locations

BBQ_Mayor
05-04-2009, 07:13 AM
For those that have been to the Royal. Could you suggest a spot for a teams' first time there? I would like something half quite. Thanks

Sledneck
05-04-2009, 07:28 AM
Are you on the invitational or the open side? I did not know that you can request a space

BBQ_Mayor
05-04-2009, 07:43 AM
The open side but hope to be invitational. I didn't know there was a difference in location between the open and inviational.

The entry form asks for locations so I assume i have some choice of where i want to be placed.

Plowboy
05-04-2009, 08:36 AM
The open side but hope to be invitational. I didn't know there was a difference in location between the open and inviational.

The entry form asks for locations so I assume i have some choice of where i want to be placed.

There isn't. You don't have to be on either "side" to cook in either contest. You can request a spot, but doesn't mean you'll get it. If the team is returning, wants their spot back, and sends in their entry in time, they get the spot back. Best bet is to look at what teams might not be returning and scout out their spot.

BBQ_Mayor
05-04-2009, 09:15 AM
I know the size of the spot I want. I just want to be on the quite side if possiable. Which side would that be? Near Kemper of on the side near the bridge?

Bigdog
05-04-2009, 09:18 AM
I know the size of the spot I want. I just want to be on the quite side if possiable. Which side would that be? Near Kemper of on the side near the bridge?

As far North as possible, which is nearer to Kemper.

Sledneck
05-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Does anybody know approx when the invitational applications get sent out?

Sledneck
05-04-2009, 09:58 AM
Found the answer on the am royal site

KC Masterpiece Invitational Contest - Saturday, October 3
The qualifying period for the 30th Annual American Royal Invitational Contest will run from the first weekend in August 2008 through the final weekend in July 2009.
Only Grand Champions are invited. No pass downs are accepted.
Invitations will be extended to the qualified team name/head cook combination. Should the team name or head cook change after qualifying, the team must enter the American Royal Invitational under the qualifying team name/head cook combination.
An invitation will be mailed from the American Royal to the qualifiers in mid August with a deadline for returning the application by September 1st. If an invitational team would like to also compete in the Open Contest, it is MANDATORY for that team to complete the Open Application ahead of time so a space can be reserved.

heinz57
05-04-2009, 10:27 AM

There isn't a "quiet side" anywhere anymore. I must be getting old.

Sledneck
05-04-2009, 10:31 AM
There isn't a "quiet side" anywhere anymore. I must be getting old.
Not that it is enforced from what I seen or heard last year but

Note: A midnight quiet time will be enforced in Lot B during the entire event. If you plan to party past this time, please sign up for a space in Lots A, C, D or North. Certain Lot B spaces not requested by returning teams by July 17 will be held for Invitational contestants.

Jorge
05-04-2009, 12:18 PM
Not that it is enforced from what I seen or heard last year but

Note: A midnight quiet time will be enforced in Lot B during the entire event. If you plan to party past this time, please sign up for a space in Lots A, C, D or North. Certain Lot B spaces not requested by returning teams by July 17 will be held for Invitational contestants.

Dude, you didn't see anything nearly as disturbing as I did:lol::lol::lol:

Sledneck
05-04-2009, 12:27 PM
So does that mean you are not gonna come hang out with me this year?:wink:

Jorge
05-04-2009, 12:43 PM
So does that mean you are not gonna come hang out with me this year?:wink:

I'll be there....I'll just book another room so I don't have to rinse my eyes with Clorox again:mrgreen:

YankeeBBQ
05-04-2009, 01:09 PM
I'll be there....I'll just book another room so I don't have to rinse my eyes with Clorox again:mrgreen:

I think it's great you and Sled shared such a special moment. I can't think of 2 guys on the Brethren as close as you too are, it really touches my heart. :icon_bigsmil

KC_Bobby
05-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Signed up! Did it early with the hope of getting into Lot B this year.

(Mailed in Marshalltown today too!)

BBQ_Mayor
05-04-2009, 02:44 PM

I tried signing up but it would go through. Might have to a mail a check.

Bigdog
05-04-2009, 02:57 PM

Those weren't pillows!!:mrgreen::mrgreen:

KC_Bobby
05-04-2009, 03:25 PM
I tried signing up but it would go through. Might have to a mail a check.

Try using a valid credit card.

Give it another try, I didn't have a problem. Did you double check to make sure you didn't fat finger a digit?

Coz
05-04-2009, 04:26 PM
If your going to get motel rooms get them extra early this year.Jellyroll was reserving his and found out the nascar show is in town the same weekend.Prices go up and rooms get scarce.

Solidkick
05-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Was you at our site when you saw something disturbing? Cause we sure did....repeatedly.....:eek:

BBQ_Mayor
05-04-2009, 06:12 PM

Give it another try, I didn't have a problem. Did you double check to make sure you didn't fat finger a digit?

Good one.

I told Jay to try it. He's the one that opened the account so I may not have rights.

Sticks-n-chicks
05-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Hoping I can join you guys out there this year...tired of spec-tating...

Mike - CSBBBQ
05-04-2009, 09:00 PM

We were in B last year and don't know I would say it was quite. The crowd was non-stop until 1ish. Had folks beating on the door at 2, cops chasing a drunk dude at 3, and a chick hurling around 4... However, all in all it was great:-D

KC_Bobby
05-04-2009, 09:30 PM
We were in B last year and don't know I would say it was quite. The crowd was non-stop until 1ish. Had folks beating on the door at 2, cops chasing a drunk dude at 3, and a chick hurling around 4... However, all in all it was great:-D

We've been in the 400's the each year we've participated without problem. Neither Don nor I care about the noise or the parties - but on the dark side, I had a time maneuvering the 6x12 around the brink, wood and straw walls early Thursday afternoon. Seems most of the teams in Lot B don't mess with that crap. And now that we've been doing comps for a few years, we'd like to be closer to the majority of the friends we've meet over the past few years.

Jeff_in_KC
05-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Unless we win a contest this year, I won't be doing the Royal and I imagine Lee will be at the NASCAR circle driving thing. That spot we had last year MIGHT be available.

BBQ_Mayor
05-05-2009, 07:04 AM
Unless we win a contest this year, I won't be doing the Royal and I imagine Lee will be at the NASCAR circle driving thing. That spot we had last year MIGHT be available.

What spot would that be Jeff? You can shoot me a PM if you want.

BBQ_Mayor
05-05-2009, 12:36 PM

I figured it out Bob. My card won't go over $500 :eek:. Dang this is pricey.
I'm in now though.

Jeff_in_KC
05-05-2009, 01:39 PM
What spot would that be Jeff? You can shoot me a PM if you want.

I'd have to check on it plus be sure that Lee doesn't want it. We might not know until after July when we go back to defend our title in Warrensburg. :wink:

crd26a
05-05-2009, 02:17 PM
If your going to get motel rooms get them extra early this year.Jellyroll was reserving his and found out the nascar show is in town the same weekend.Prices go up and rooms get scarce.

You've got it half right. The NASCAR race is on Saturday, the 3rd and the Chiefs are in town on Sunday the 4th. Busy weekend in the I-70 corridor.

voodoobbqIL
05-05-2009, 09:06 PM
actually last year on the Dark Side they were quiet by 12:30, most even before that. Since the contest went Friday / Saturday for Inv. and Saturday / Sunday for open it has changed the parties for some reason. But if you can you want in the 800's. That is near Kemper and the reserved invitational spots (900's). So there you have it. I hope you have good luck getting a good spot year one, if not it will make you appreciate the quieter side the next time you go.

Plowboy
05-05-2009, 10:48 PM
actually last year on the Dark Side they were quiet by 12:30, most even before that. Since the contest went Friday / Saturday for Inv. and Saturday / Sunday for open it has changed the parties for some reason. But if you can you want in the 800's. That is near Kemper and the reserved invitational spots (900's). So there you have it. I hope you have good luck getting a good spot year one, if not it will make you appreciate the quieter side the next time you go.

Nothing like the smell of skunky beer and overflowing porta-potties after Friday night on the Dark Side. :icon_sick

DMDon
05-05-2009, 11:43 PM
You've got it half right. The NASCAR race is on Saturday, the 3rd and the Chiefs are in town on Sunday the 4th. Busy weekend in the I-70 corridor.

Also, throw in the mix taht Iowa State and Kansas State play at Arrowhead that Saturday.

Jorge
06-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Also, throw in the mix taht Iowa State and Kansas State play at Arrowhead that Saturday.

I spent the night out by the airport last Sunday night, and checked on rates and availability. They had rooms but the rate had almost tripled over what I paid. ($200+ for a King w/couch).

Down closer to Kemper the rates are still close to what they were last year, and they have some vacancies .... so things aren't quite as bad as they seemed a week ago.

Last year I know that Scottyd was able to get a room on Wed. night at the same place, but I'm not sure what this year will be like with the extra events in town that weekend.