PDA

View Full Version : Update on smokering problem with Pron.

Ken V
04-26-2009, 09:35 PM
O.K., here is the packer brisket that I did this weekend. I will go thru the whole process of what I did.
Got the stumps going using Kingsford comp. I used the guru for this so I didn't have to mess with valve. Smoker holding steady at 200*. Removed brisket from refrig. and trimmed down to approx. 1/4" fat cap and removed any large hard chunks of fat. Put on tray and seasoned lightly with Plowboys bovine bold and then stuck back in fridge to make sure brisket was cool when I put it on the smoker. Went and added a chitload of cherry chunks and a couple hickory to ash pan. Put brisket on 2nd rack from top and checked temp, right at 39*. Held at 200* for 2 hours which at that time the temp of the brisket had come up to about 113*. Ran guru up to 235 and checked wood in ash pan, smoke billowed out of door when I opened it, thru in a couple more chucks just for giggles and added some thruout cook. Brisket came out at a tender 191*.
Sliced open and this is the smoke ring I have. The taste, texture, tenderness and moisture was outstanding.
I am totally lost at this point. I am going to do a brisket on the drum this week using the same procedure and guarentee I will have a 3/8" ring on that thing.

Anymore ideas???? I am at my wits end.
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii47/KVersluis67/smoklessring.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii47/KVersluis67/smoklessring2.jpg

thillin
04-26-2009, 09:45 PM
I get less of a smoke ring with my eggs than my Klose. I don't let it bother me.

Meat Burner
04-26-2009, 09:52 PM
Ken, please don't take offense with this but if taste, texture, tenderness, and moisture are outstanding....what is wrong with the smoke ring on that brisket? Add some t-quick for an artificial smoke ring if that is important. Has nothing to do with actual smoke.

Mo-Dave
04-26-2009, 09:54 PM
Really I can see its not a huge smoke ring but there is one and as long as you are happy taste, tenderness and moister, I would not have a bit of problem with that.

Many time my meat will have very little ring and then others its very pronounced and for the life of me I can't tell you if one was better than the other.
Dave

HoDeDo
04-26-2009, 10:02 PM
Do you use a water pan? what are the exhaust differences in your cookers... 2" exhaust on your drum vs. 4" on your stumps?

How aged are the briskets? Are they marbled with alot of fat, or very lean?

Any number of things can effect your ability to get a smoke ring... Personally, if the brisket is coming out awesome, I wouldnt worry about the ring -- or -- just manufacture it yourself. do a quick tender-quik wash, or put a little T-Q in your rub. You will get a 1/4-1/2" smoke ring everytime.

ganso
04-27-2009, 06:12 AM
The Q is great off my stumps as well but its just got me thinking (like Ken) why is there no ring? Another person who owns a 222p has also stated the same problem. Is it the cooker? I am still learning things every day about bbq, from this forum and others. I wish I knew the answer. I am going to try the T Q thing. Or just use my air brush if I try a contest this year :shock:.