PDA

View Full Version : furi knife sharpener

ulikabbq
04-26-2009, 09:21 PM
has anyone ever used a furi knife sharpener?

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=14739

I have been reading good things about it, but I am looking for more info.

capri man
04-26-2009, 09:24 PM
kinda expensive for a knife sharpener????

Meat Burner
04-26-2009, 09:36 PM
Get yourself a couple of sharpening stones and do it with a little elbow grease. They will last forever and is not difficult at all. There are a million knife sharpening gimmics out there that claim razor sharp with not effort. Very, and I mean very few, of these systems work. The ones that do really work are expensive, for a reason. Cheap is Cheap and are Cheap. JMHO, try to do it yourself and get a lot of pleasure from it.

chibi
04-26-2009, 09:50 PM
I use the Furi honer. Works great.

jray
04-27-2009, 12:19 AM
I picked up one of these a couple of years ago on a whim. I have tried quite a few systems over the years: Gatco, Lansky, Steels, India Stones, Arkansas Stones, Norton water stones and Paper Wheel systems. I even have a slow belt system like most knife makers use to finish blades. When I restore old or abused knives I go to the shop and use files, buffing wheels and paper wheels. At home? I grab the Fury system and in one minute I can have my Furi 8" Sankotu Coppertail or my Henckels 10" Professional capable of zipping thru a ripe tomato or a smoked Clod in a single stroke. I don't remember what I paid, but it was far less than a hundred bucks. When I bought mine it didn't come with the eight finger shaper. Back then (pre Rachel Ray) Furi only had the diamond hone and the steel finisher. I don't know what the material is on the eight fingered shaper. If you can find the older version cheaper I think you would be very happy. If this is the only style available now I still think you would be happy. Check for storewide coupons at the kitchen and bath stores and you could save twenty or thirty percent. When you start to use it don't think it is a magic tool. Hold the blade carefully and gently. Don't push the blade too deep into the flexible fingers. Only a few ounces of pressure needed. Keep the blade perpendicular to the counter top. Use slow deliberate strokes and lift up a few degrees as you finish the stroke to keep a curved edge in full contact with the hones. On the last few stokes use a very light touch to get a very sharp finish. As the tip of the blade leaves the hone, reduce the downward pressure quickly to avoid rounding the tip. Actually these tips apply to almost all systems.

Meatburner is right about stones, they are the classic fundamental tool for sharpening. However, using flat stones on long blades is a skill. Some enjoy it and master it quickly, others never, never enjoy it or master it. I've reground quite a few nice blades for friends that gave up.

For some, sharpening is an art and a hobby of its own, for others it is a chore to get out of the way. The Furi is FAST and gives a SHARP usable edge that is more than adequate to any kitchen use. The Lansky/Gatco systems are NOT easy to master on blades longer than six inches without practice and for me they are the slowest system. All of the stone systems require honing oil or water and are a pain to store in a kitchen. If you want to sharpen 10" blades you need to buy the long stones and top grade large Arkansas or Norton stones ain't cheap! It really sucks to drop an 8" Fine Arkansas stone on a tile floor and pick up three smaller stones, ask me how I know. :eek::icon_frow The Furi requires no oil, water, or electricity; it takes up very little space and won't break if you drop it. I have a set of full size DMT Diamond bench stones at home that I use for my hunting and carry knives. Those knives need a different bevel angle than kitchen knives and I want to choose the "tooth" that the finished edges have. In the kitchen, 95% of the time I just use the Furi.

I'm a knife snob and I'm endorsing a gadget but that's the way I see it.
Just my .02 cents. . . Oh and by the way, I have about seventy knives and if I could only have one? My carbon steel, leather handled USMC Kabar. Now that's a knife.:mrgreen:

jeff

motley que
04-27-2009, 06:31 AM
I have a different version of this that I like. Everytime I put my blade in, It says yummo

FatDaddy
04-27-2009, 09:32 AM
I got this one bout 2yrs ago. I like it alot. I'm not coordinated enough to use stones and what not.
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/img/11990.jpg
It works great. Never have a dull knife any more and was only like 25 bucks at LNT.

ulikabbq
04-27-2009, 10:06 AM
jray,
thanks for all the info. I think you sold me on the furi.

ibait2fish
04-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Check out razor edge systems (shameless plug for a local mfg.)

Juranitch is one of the few guys I know that can actually get an axe
sharp enough to REALLY shave with. I've seen him.

Check out the 'mousetrap'. I have one and it's great! The knife needs to be sharp already (it won't sharpen a dull knife). This just maintains and
polishes/burnishes the edge of any knife and puts the piece de
resistans on the blade. Give the knife a couple of strokes before the
first cut, and a stroke every few cuts. The difference is amazing.

Razor Edge systems sets up a lot of sharpening stations for packing
plants, butchers, etc.

The Pickled Pig
04-27-2009, 11:45 AM
I've not used one before but after reading the reviews on Amazon I think I'm sold now.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
04-27-2009, 01:09 PM
I have the Tech-Edge system , 3 sets of fingers. I really like it. does a great job for me. I think I paid about $90.00 for mine. My sister in law was in town over Christmas and was checking mine out.. so I got her one as well, same thing..she loves it as well.

Dsorgnzd
04-27-2009, 02:45 PM
I'd have to second what jray said. I picked up one of the Furi systems last year at a Tuesday Morning store for $39 (I wouldn't have paid list price, but for $39 I was willing to try it). I think it works pretty well as compared to a steel; I've never used any of the other sharpening systems, so I can't compare it to them.

keend
04-28-2009, 08:21 PM
I use the V-sharp by Wharthog.

http://www.warthogsharp.com/ (http://www.warthogsharp.com/)

I love it because it is very simple and fast to use. It also put a better edge on my knifes than I have ever been able to do with my Lansky.

BBQ Grail
04-28-2009, 08:54 PM
I have the less expensive version and it's well worth the money and it works fantastic.

SmokeWatcher
04-29-2009, 06:07 AM
You can get a much better price for one here...

http://www.amazon.com/Furi-Ozitech-Diamond-Fingers-Sharpener/dp/B000F8SIOW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1241003212&sr=8-1

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
04-29-2009, 06:24 AM
You can get a much better price for one here...

http://www.amazon.com/Furi-Ozitech-Diamond-Fingers-Sharpener/dp/B000F8SIOW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1241003212&sr=8-1

That isn't the same model, but it looks like it would be a good one to have. The expensive one is a three stage system, the one in your link is a one stage.

It would be great to take along in your pocket when you are invited over to a friends house who always has dull knives. LOL

SmokeWatcher
04-30-2009, 07:29 AM
This one then...

http://www.amazon.com/Furi-Tri-Fingers-Professional-Sharpening-System/dp/B001EVRFT8/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

I'd love to get one, as my knives scream with pain everytime I use them. What would be the advantage of the more expensive three-stage system?