PDA

View Full Version : Rib Baste/Mop

JONESY
04-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Hey guys, I’m doing some ribs tomorrow on the Grill Dome and I’m looking for some baste/mop ideas. I always do my ribs on the dome with a rub and leave them alone for at least 3 hours. But tomorrow I have the time to do a mop (wife is working a double) so I would love to try some additional flavor. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
04-24-2009, 09:48 PM
[quote=JONESY;910554]Hey guys, I’m doing some ribs tomorrow on the Grill Dome and I’m looking for some baste/mop ideas. I always do my ribs on the dome with a rub and leave them alone for at least 3 hours. But tomorrow I have the time to do a mop (wife is working a double) so I would love to try some additional flavor. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

i saw some stubbs baste/mop at my local store, could be interesting!

jack040806
04-24-2009, 10:45 PM
The other day I tried this thing that called for spraying them with apple juice for like the first three hours, then spraying spray on butter on there and then putting honey on, and for the last little bit use some good ol bbq sauce. The texture and flavor of those things was awesome, the rub I used though was too salty but I would say that with a better rub that just may be the way to go.

TN_BBQ
04-25-2009, 07:34 AM
I'm not a big fan of spritzing and mopping while cooking. It's too darn hard to regulate temperature (and I use a BWS).

Instead, I prefer to spend a little extra time preparing my meat and finishing it (last hour or so of cooking).

Regarding your original question. Be careful about spritzing with too much sugar because the sugar can burn and create a hard crust.

JamesTX
04-25-2009, 09:32 AM
i saw some stubbs baste/mop at my local store, could be interesting!

Stubbs mop is good stuff. We use it as a dipping sauce too.

JONESY
04-25-2009, 10:01 AM
I think I'm going to try a mop of
Ketchup
Cider Vinegar
Apple juice
Spices

I'm doing 3 slabs, so I'll mop one and see if there is a favorable difference.

JD McGee
04-25-2009, 10:19 AM
Hey guys, I’m doing some ribs tomorrow on the Grill Dome and I’m looking for some baste/mop ideas. I always do my ribs on the dome with a rub and leave them alone for at least 3 hours. But tomorrow I have the time to do a mop (wife is working a double) so I would love to try some additional flavor. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I never mop my ribs...I just spritz them with apple juice every now and then. I do however mop my butts...here's what I use...I'm sure it'll be great on ribs. The below recipe is courtesy of TVWBB...

Southern Succor Rub
1/4 cup ground black pepper
1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup Turbinado sugar
2 Tablespoons table salt
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Mix ingredients thoroughly. Makes enough rub for one pork butt, with some leftover for use in the Southern Sop.

Southern Sop
Remaining Southern Succor Rub (Important: See text below)
2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 cup water
3 Tablespoons ground black pepper
2 Tablespoons table salt
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 Tablespoon paprika
1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper
Warm ingredients over low heat, stirring occasionally.

This recipe calls for using all of the remaining rub from one batch of Southern Succor Rub (maybe 3 tablespoons of rub). In my experience, it makes enough sop to baste up to two butts 3-4 times during the cooking process. If you're cooking three or four butts, a single batch will allow you to baste two times.
Apply the baste to the meat using a string mop, a turkey baster, or as a last resort, a basting brush.