PDA

View Full Version : How to let go of a cooker?

thillin
04-21-2009, 12:20 PM
How do you decide to sell a beloved smoker? I hate that it doesn't get used, but I still love it when I do use it. It would be replaced by another large Green Egg if I sell it. Plan is to list my Weber 1 touch platinum on CL list week and trying to decide if the Klose will be posted also.:confused:

Harbormaster
04-21-2009, 12:28 PM
I don't know how you do it. I've never done it.
The "B" WSM got retired a month ago, and that was hard enough, but at least it's still in my possession.
If'n you were closer, I'd help you part with the performer.

jdub
04-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Viking Funeral Style?:mrgreen:

I have a Hasty Bake, a Kettle, and a drum on CL right now. Broke my heart, but the right thing to do is the right thing to do.
The gods of Q will understand.

BobBrisket
04-21-2009, 12:53 PM
DONT DO IT!!! If you need to, then maybe sell it off to a friend or family member that will use it, That way you can still have visitation rights. It's a tough choice, but you gotta do what you gotta. do. Good luck.

JamP
04-21-2009, 01:05 PM
I would recommend a rigorous interview process with a cooking demonstration from the prospective buyers. Possibly followed by a probation period and the aforementioned visitation rights. You have to be cautious in these extreme situations!

Smoke & Beers
04-21-2009, 01:06 PM
Don't sell it...send her to me and I'll take care of her and you can come and visit any tiem you want!:biggrin:

JamesTX
04-21-2009, 01:28 PM
At least post em here before you go to CL. Give the Brethren first shot.

BobBrisket
04-21-2009, 01:44 PM

Good point. If only I lived closer!!:sad:

thillin
04-21-2009, 01:59 PM
The Weber is going to a Brethren, and I will post the Klose here first. Got 8 bags of Rancher as well.:biggrin:

bigpaparon
04-21-2009, 02:07 PM
Im just up the road from you, and would gladly bring an adult beverage over for a time of discussion before you make a decision...and ill bring the truck.

TN_BBQ
04-21-2009, 03:41 PM
Try to unload it at a BBQ competition. That way you'll know it's going to a good home.

Come to think about it, I could use one of those.

Norcoredneck
04-21-2009, 04:09 PM
Don't sell it, go the "Why I deserve this route" Deez20 has upped the anty.

swibirun
04-21-2009, 05:13 PM
I just gave my offset to my 9 y/o son. That way I know I still get to play with it for another 9 years :)

swamprb
04-21-2009, 05:26 PM
I can remember the day you brought home you first Egg- you really dove into it head first! Then came another and another and now you are competing with them. I've been dreading the day I would read that you are contemplating getting rid of your Klose.

I know that feeling having cookers around taking up space and not getting used and have just become attatched to, a Platinum is one thing-hey its just a Weber with a table, but a Klose-thats something else. Big decision- I'd try to keep them in a BBQ family and advertise in a BBQ organization you compete in.

Last year I bought my Large BGE at the PNW Eggfest with the proceeds of a couple years accumulations of colored Weber kettles and gas grills, a rebuilt Kamado and an Egg table I built. I felt like one of those crazy cat hoarders that fret when the ASPCA raids their place, but felt a whole lot better when I had a brand new Egg.

Tough letting go.

Congrats on the new Large!

Rick's Tropical Delight
04-21-2009, 05:38 PM
man, i tried to tell ya to be careful and now i read this :roll:

i'm starting to think it's not so much a cult, but a disease

:biggrin:

zydecopaws
04-21-2009, 05:56 PM
Surely there is a brethren close enough that would be willing to adopt. I'd be all over the Performer if TX were closer to WA...

JamesTX
04-21-2009, 08:32 PM
Surely there is a brethren close enough that would be willing to adopt. I'd be all over the Performer if TX were closer to WA...

I'm all about adopting. I'm just afraid that I couldn't afford the adoption fee.

MilitantSquatter
04-21-2009, 08:48 PM
I've done it three times... First my original Pitts & Spitts that was my first pit along with a WSM to Cue's Your Daddy, then another WSM was sold to SIDE. Most recently my Spicewine to Frank Sacco.

SIDE's been using the WSM with great success, and just this weekend I got to see Frank Sacco use the Spicewine on his second cook with it at Willipalooza.. Sure the team logo sticker was removed, but he had a wire brushed and painted firebox and cooking chamber door and a smile on his face so I knew at that point it was where it belongs and was getting the useage it deserved.

Just keep some pics for the memories.. and know that it's going to a good home.

I have no regrets.. I kept space to the same levels in my garage with each shift and I've moved on to two medium BGE"s and now with the proceeds from the Spicewine sale, I will be picking up the XL BGE next weekend at the Waldorf Eggfest.