PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Sweet UDS!!!

h20loo
04-21-2009, 08:26 AM
50 years ago I use to accompany my Gramma to the local farmers market every Saturday morning where she sold eggs, bacon, and always took 50 Coffee Cakes. This was the old style outdoor market and it was all local farmers with no "made in china" stuff.
I always remember gramma being up all night cooking on a big outdoor oven that was attached to the stone smokehouse. I loved that warm fresh coffee cake and although I thought of it often over the years- I never found it.
My Mom passed away recently and one of the conversations we had was my memory of the farm and those coffee cakes. She told me it was easy, get some jersey cream and let it sour, shape the dough, when it has risen you put the sour cream on and then sprinkle it with brown sugar and a little cinamon. Not quite a step by step but....
So here enters the Brethren and Artisan Bread thread and well a little experimenting, a whole lot of cleaning my drum and I got some Coffee Cakes as good as I remember.
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/h20loo/007-2.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/h20loo/008-1.jpg

Man I love the UDS!! For me it was the maple wood that gave the smell I remember.

Cliff H.
04-21-2009, 08:43 AM
You may find yourself with a uds just for baking.

I am glad that you were able to re-live the moment.

JamP
04-21-2009, 08:52 AM
Man, that looks great and would be the bomb in the morning after a long night tending fires. Did you use a pizza stone or a baking pan on the rack to get the consistency right?

h20loo
04-21-2009, 09:04 AM
JamP- I don't have a stone so I took a cookie tray with sides and filled it with fine sand. I put this on my grill and then put another grill on top. I then used a cheap flat Walmart cookie sheet(insulated) to bake on.Kind of a metal sandwich LOL!! I only used small chunks of maple for a little bit of flavor. I was really pleased with the bottom as I expected it to be tough. It isn't but does have a little "pull" when you take a bite. The sour cream is just a store item and gives that cool moist contrast to the bread.

h20loo
04-21-2009, 09:13 AM
Cliff- that thought crossed my mind- can never have enough barrels!!. Becoming the oldest generation does affect one!!!