PDA

View Full Version : Steak temperature

HellGrill
04-20-2009, 12:45 PM
What temperature should my new Weber Genesis 320 reach until I can open the door and put the steaks on?

JD McGee
04-20-2009, 01:17 PM
I let mine get up to 450-500...do you have cast iron or porcelin coated grates?

OakPit
04-20-2009, 01:21 PM
solid 400 at LEAST.

aquablue22
04-20-2009, 01:22 PM
I let mine max out before I throw the steaks on, take about 10 minutes

qman
04-20-2009, 02:06 PM

Yea, me too.

I have one with stainless steel cooking grates, and it has to be really hot to get good sear and grill marks.

Big George's BBQ
04-20-2009, 02:19 PM

Me too

HellGrill
04-20-2009, 02:55 PM
Well, mine takes more time to get to the max, I don't know if it's because I'm using a bigger(10kg) gas cylinder than the 5 kg camping one(that has more power). It took longer but I finally got to 600 F.

I'm asking because I'm getting my steaks too moist(I get liquids on the dish when eating) despite if it's well cooked, rather than a bit firm/crispy so I am confused, I can't understand if it's because of the temperature or what; I premise that I used the standard porcelain grate but I have the cast iron one that has a flatten side and another one with some in relief stripes; I left the steaks on fridge for about 8 hours marinading with olive oil and with herbs(paprika, pepper, salt ecc). What's the cause of that moistness?

Thanks in advance

HellGrill
04-20-2009, 02:58 PM
I mean, it doesn't get as crisp as this one http://people.timezone.com/pchong/Aston/angus-sirloin.jpg

OakPit
04-20-2009, 03:08 PM
Are you under cooking the meat for your particular taste? What color is the juice? It should either be red or clear or somewhere in between - if you don't want any juices, keep on cooking. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question.

HellGrill
04-20-2009, 03:13 PM
Well, I'm just cooking without very particular tastes. The juice is "dirty pink"! What I would like to have it's something like this http://www.chemistryland.com/CHM107/Introduction/BehindScene/steak.jpg

Mine steak color is pink, isn't that intense red with some ochre shades. Is it because I'm using porcelain grill? Is it because I'm grilling at 600F? I can't understand, but I'm sure that with your help I'll get a better steak.

JamesTX
04-20-2009, 03:14 PM
I think most people around here like their steaks medium to medium rare. With that, you will get some juice on the plate. You can try letting the meat rest after it comes off the grill so that it reabsorbs some of the juice.

HellGrill
04-20-2009, 03:16 PM
What I'd like to get is more crust on my steak like this one http://www.chemistryland.com/CHM107/...cene/steak.jpg (http://www.chemistryland.com/CHM107/Introduction/BehindScene/steak.jpg)
Mine steak color is pink, isn't that intense red with some ochre shades; it's not crispy. Is it because I'm using porcelain grill? Is it because I'm grilling at 600F? I can't understand, but I'm sure that with your help I'll get a better steak.

OakPit
04-20-2009, 03:22 PM
I think the color intensity comes from both "cut" and "quality" of the beef.

The crispiness from the grill marks can come from the fat as it "chars", the rub as it "burns", the meat as it "barks".

The steak you have pictured looks like a "steakhouse premium cut" as it exhibits great color and texture. This is the type of steak that is grilled at a VERY high heat (maybe 700*+) for a VERY short time (the ring of color separation is very distinct)

This steak can be mastered, but clearly whomever produced this knew both their BBQ and had great skills in steak grilling. Sometimes things like this come with practice & trial/error.

Absolute Best of luck!

JamesTX
04-20-2009, 04:10 PM
I think I understand what you are asking, but I'm not sure of the answer. Try lifting the lid when you cook, so that you don't steam the meat.

qman
04-20-2009, 04:51 PM
It sounds to me like you are talking about the color of the outside of the steak, Yes?

If you are marinating the steak first, you have to dry off the outside really well, and and apply a little oil to get a good sear. If you leave marinade on the meat, it will prevent the sear.

Does this help?

OliverRanch
04-20-2009, 09:09 PM
Not to complicate things but if you're talking about the interior color, it will depend on the breed, diet, age at slaughter (is that okay to say here?), aging, cooking... and whether the cattle was stressed out or not in life or at the abattoir. If the outside color, it definitely helps to make sure that the steak is dry before you grill it. Sorry if that latter point was already made.

JD McGee
04-20-2009, 09:56 PM
If you're lookin' for crispy you need a high heat sear then a moderate cook to your desired doneness. A cast iron grate gives the best sear (imho) but I do well with the porcelain coated on my gasser. Here's what I do...

I fire up the gasser on high for about 10 minutes...it takes about 6 or 7 minutes to hit my target temp of 500-550 but I let it gin for a few more minutes so the grates get nice and hot. I then toss on my steaks for 2 minutes per side (based on a 1 inch thick steak). This gives the pretty grill marks and adds flavor by locking in the spices (not the juices). I then lower the heat to med and cook another minute per side to achieve my target internal temp of 130-135 for med rare.

This is what I get...

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc150/bigabyte/Throwdowns/029_Steak/JD_McGee.jpg

Most important before serving...let it rest for 4 or 5 minutes before slicing / serving. You'll notice the "dirty" colored juice on the plate...that's the good stuff bro! :-P Hope this helps!

JD

HellGrill
04-21-2009, 01:34 AM
Should I marinate or just dry rub the steak or the roast beef steak? Which gives it a crisper surface?

qman
04-21-2009, 06:37 AM
Should I marinate or just dry rub the steak or the roast beef steak? Which gives it a crisper surface?

In my opinion, a good steak only needs to be seasoned with a little salt and pepper, maybe a little garlic.

Big George's BBQ
04-21-2009, 07:21 AM
If you're lookin' for crispy you need a high heat sear then a moderate cook to your desired doneness. A cast iron grate gives the best sear (imho) but I do well with the porcelain coated on my gasser. Here's what I do...

I fire up the gasser on high for about 10 minutes...it takes about 6 or 7 minutes to hit my target temp of 500-550 but I let it gin for a few more minutes so the grates get nice and hot. I then toss on my steaks for 2 minutes per side (based on a 1 inch thick steak). This gives the pretty grill marks and adds flavor by locking in the spices (not the juices). I then lower the heat to med and cook another minute per side to achieve my target internal temp of 130-135 for med rare.

This is what I get...

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc150/bigabyte/Throwdowns/029_Steak/JD_McGee.jpg

Most important before serving...let it rest for 4 or 5 minutes before slicing / serving. You'll notice the "dirty" colored juice on the plate...that's the good stuff bro! :-P Hope this helps!

JD

Very nice

JD McGee
04-21-2009, 02:39 PM

I use dry rubs...usually just salt and pepper. I let mine stand at room temp for an hour (seasoned) before tossing them on the grill. :razz:

In my opinion, a good steak only needs to be seasoned with a little salt and pepper, maybe a little garlic.

Yep! :razz:

CAustin919
04-21-2009, 03:12 PM
I use dry rubs...usually just salt and pepper. I let mine stand at room temp for an hour (seasoned) before tossing them on the grill. :razz:

Yep! :razz:

I agree.

I marinate beef if I am using it as a component in a dish, like maybe fajitas, tacos, or sandwich. But if it's a nicely seared steak, with the caramelized crust I'm after... dry rub only, and a very simple one at that.