PDA

View Full Version : "Different" rib ideas, whaddya got

jdub
04-14-2009, 09:52 AM
I like my brisket and my butt "as is". BBQ. But I keep thinking that a rack of ribs lends itself to different, exotic flavors. Why do I think that? I don't know, I just do:roll:

Anyway, I did a bunch of ribs for some fishermen last weekend (Danny Gaulden rub and glaze, VERY happy with that) and I took some trimmings and marinated the heck out of them in a really good jerk paste. Vernon's jerk, it is what I consider a very authentic jerk. A lot of the "exotic" flavors, allspice garlic, orange etc disappeared and I was left with mostly the hot. Still okee dokee, but I want to get that flavor back, I'll be working on it.

Now I am thinking about a couple other exotic things. Morocco, Indian, etc.

SOOOOOOOO, what do you guys do that you like that you consider way out "of the norm"?

71-South
04-14-2009, 10:00 AM
If it were up to my 4-year-old daughter, we'd have grape jelly ribs every night.

cowgirl
04-14-2009, 10:25 AM
I'm fond of chinese five spice ribs....

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58184

These are smoked then fried. Might be able to just smoke them.

igolf2
04-14-2009, 10:47 AM
2nd the Chinese ribs - I have also had great luck with just a simple wet rub of roasted garlic, butter, and a bit of hot sauce - not exactly Buffalo ribs but they were real good.
Did ribs once with a comercial spicy maple rub that was for making beef jerky - turned out fantastic and now I can't find it anymore!

keale
04-14-2009, 11:44 AM
This is my Jamacian Jerk Rub, I combined about 3 different recipes into one that I liked... I really enjoyed it...
this came from this thread...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32943&highlight=jerk

3 Tbs Onion powder
3 Tbs Onion flakes
1 1/2 Tbs Ground Allspice...maybe a little more
2 TBS Black Pepper
1 Tbs Cayenne
2 Tbs sugar
1 1/4 tsp each of Dried Thyme
Ground Cinnamon
Ground Cumin
3/4 tsp Nutmeg
I used Jalapeno, as that was what I had, it calls for habernaro, use as much as you like

You can either use as a rub,
or add to make a paste

6 TBS Soy sauce
2 Tbs veg. oil
2 Tbs cider vinegar

jdub
04-14-2009, 11:52 AM
Keale:
Thanks for that, I will take a look. I have made jerk a couple times and I just didn't love it. I also have some very fresh spices-whole allspice berries, etc, and I am hoping that will help.

OK good stuff (this is a cool website, ain't it). The Chinese maybe the next stuff. Lets expand-what would you "think" might be good? What have you thought about but never done?

Mark
04-14-2009, 01:13 PM
Curry powder is a good change of pace.

JimDandysNYDan
04-14-2009, 01:28 PM
I like to use Cavender's seasoning on mine from time to time just to get away from the usual rib seasoning....

augie
04-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Boil 'em in Old Bay then finish them in the toaster.

....then throw 'em away! :twisted:

Mark
04-14-2009, 02:40 PM
I like to use Cavender's seasoning on mine from time to time just to get away from the usual rib seasoning....
Not to be confused with cadaver seasoning

HoosierTrooper
04-14-2009, 06:19 PM
I borrowed an idea from the steak guys. I put granulated garlic and butter on them right at the end. Came out pretty good.

Ron_L
04-14-2009, 06:50 PM
Every summer my SIL and BIL have a luau. For the past three years I have made "Hawaiian style" ribs (Don't shoot me, Keale :rolleyes:) I use a sweet rub and spritz them with a mix of pineapple, orange and guava juices and then add the same juice combo to my sauce. Last year I brought 9 racks and they were gone in about 10 minutes!

keale
04-14-2009, 06:59 PM
Every summer my SIL and BIL have a luau. For the past three years I have made "Hawaiian style" ribs (Don't shoot me, Keale :rolleyes:) I use a sweet rub and spritz them with a mix of pineapple, orange and guava juices and then add the same juice combo to my sauce. Last year I brought 9 racks and they were gone in about 10 minutes!

Wha??? LOL! That actually sounds pretty good! (Did you serve them with the plastic green Hula skirt?) Just kidding!

Norcoredneck
04-14-2009, 07:32 PM
Bubba makes some scrumdiillyicious trailor park ribs. He starts with a big pan of boiling pan of water.....

Ron_L
04-14-2009, 08:12 PM
(Did you serve them with the plastic green Hula skirt?) Just kidding!

Yes I did, but I had to use two of them to fit around my waist.

:eek: :rolleyes: :biggrin:

N8man
04-14-2009, 09:46 PM
For A Change of Pace, I like to Baste 'em with a Mixture of Pudang Peanut Sauce and Amaretto as they Smoke, It's an Exotic Taste that Excites the Palate....:biggrin:

jtwisted13
04-15-2009, 01:16 AM
heres a couple of other spice mixtures that are not so hot and have lots of flavor.

Caribbean Spice Rub
1/2 Tbs. cumin seeds
1/2 Tbs. black pepper
1/2 Tbs. brown sugar
1 tsp. coriander seeds
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. whole cloves
3/4 tsp. hot pepper powder (red pepper, habanero pepper, etc.)
Combine ingredients to taste.

-----------------------------------

Jerk Spice:
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon dried, crushed Scotch bonnet pepper (habanero)
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried chives
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients in a bowl until well-mixed. Store in an airtight container.
Yield: 1/2 cup

i have been on an Apricot kick lately.

this turns out really thick. it is sweet with a slight taste of bbq sauce and very sticky with a touch of hotness

1 cup apricot preserves
1/2 cup bbq sauce (try & use one that is neutral and not overpowering)
1/2 cup dried apricots, minced very small
1 tsp habanero hot sauce (use your favorite here or omit) or i use 1/2 tsp fresh minced scotch bonnets

bring all ingredients to a slow boil, turn down and simmer until dried apricots are soft and rehydrated. if you want it a little thinner, add a little bit of apple cider vinegar

if you let this cool, it will turn to a jelly texture.

JimDandysNYDan
04-15-2009, 07:36 AM
Not to be confused with cadaver seasoning

LOL....Definitely not.