PDA

View Full Version : prime rib help

scott millman
04-12-2009, 02:43 PM
I have a 7lb prime rib wife wants for easter....cooking on offset.....read some threads, looking to see if salt/pepper a little garlic cooked at 225 to internal of 130 seems appropriate.....how long will this take?....thinking ill get rare in mid section some med rare on outsides....with the price on this meat I want to make sure I have my bases covered. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

Skidder
04-12-2009, 02:51 PM
What you said and read is what you'll get. I'm thinking about an hour and a half give or take a bit. Maybe two. If to early wrap in foil and towels and throw in cooler till dinner. Good luck. Enjoy.

scott millman
04-12-2009, 02:55 PM
Thanks Skidder....appreciate the advice.....gonna give this a shot here in a bit.

Ron_L
04-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Personally I think 130 is too far. I take mine to 125 and then hold it at 140 degrees until I need to slice it. I hold it in my Cookshack Smokette or FEC, but holding it in an oven is fine, too. The hold time is basically extended rest and gives the juices and flavors a chance to get throughout the roast. The longer the hold time the better the result, so start it early. If someone really wants a slice that is more done you can give it a couple of minutes on the grill.

scott millman
04-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Ron I agree....I will pull early and see how it does after a rest....can always get pieces to others liking after the fact.....cant go backwards on the cook....Thank you for your input.

Rick's Tropical Delight
04-12-2009, 09:02 PM
that should take about 3.5 hours at 250 degrees. is it done yet?