PDA

View Full Version : Easter Travesty

Crüe-B-Cüe
04-11-2009, 09:03 AM
We were invited to my sister-in-laws for Easter dinner. She is a very good cook and always has something new and tasty on the menu. She called Mrs. Crüe last night and I found out she is cooking ribs. How could they cook ribs? They don't even own a grill! My wife then let the cat out of the bag. She will be baking them!!! :eek::eek::eek: I can only hope she doesn't boil them first! :icon_sick I am calling upon the strength of the Brethren to get me through this horrible time.

CajunSmoker
04-11-2009, 09:06 AM
Bring plenty of Liquid Smoke and it'll be fine:biggrin:

Smokin' D
04-11-2009, 09:08 AM
There is nothing so delicious as gray, mushy ribs!
Oh, unless they are then drowned in some grocery store sauce!

jack040806
04-11-2009, 09:11 AM
Thats terrible, I am so sorry for the travesty that you are about to have to suffer. If it is any consolation I was invited to a friends house who will be smoking ribs, a pork butt, abt's and more... Then my wife informed me we are going to her grandma's house and there will be no smoked food that day:cry:

packrat
04-11-2009, 09:26 AM
Maybe she'll surprise you. Before I had a smoker I used to cook pork butts in the oven, rubbed and at 225. Sure they weren't as good as off a smoker, but they were certainly above average. But I bet they do end up heavily sauced.

millsy
04-11-2009, 09:41 AM
Like packrat said you might be surprised.Have a couple jar's and every thing will be ok.

Saiko
04-11-2009, 09:46 AM
Just remember to lie when they they ask you how you like them. :biggrin:
Actually, you never know, they may taste OK. Some people can do wonders with an oven. Give us a report after you eat!

chad
04-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Accept them as ribs, not as BBQ, and you'll be fine. Ribs do not always have to be bbq. I've had wonderful ribs and kraut and other delectible dishes with ribs as the guest of honor.

Remember that Heat is Heat. However, I agree with not boiling - that would be truly sad.

Be gracious.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
04-11-2009, 10:16 AM
That is just wrong.

StrikeEagle
04-11-2009, 10:17 AM
Call and ask if you can bring along your friend "Jack", or maybe your buddy "Jose Cuervo" as they don't have anywhere else to spend Easter. I'm sure one of these 'gentlemen' can help you get through the day.

Rick's Tropical Delight
04-11-2009, 10:31 AM
make your own ribs and take them over there!

or drive your junker and crash into the guardrail on the way over just enough so you need a tow truck. it's worth the sacrifice :biggrin:

ushi
04-11-2009, 11:04 AM
oh man, ribs and kraut. I made some of that last week. Planned to have it last me for 3-4 meals. Yeah. Lasted 2.

salth2o
04-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Eat before you go over there.

timzcardz
04-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Just remember to lie when they they ask you how you like them. :biggrin:

LIEING IS NEVER THE ANSWER!

If asked how you like them, be honest. Quickly picture yourself in the middle of your ultimate sexual fantasy (this puts a smile on your face) and then proclaim "I can't remember the last time I had ribs like these!"

chad
04-11-2009, 01:08 PM
Bro, you said "She is a very good cook and always has something new and tasty on the menu." How about giving her the benefit of the doubt!

Guys. This is FAMILY!

Suck it up and enjoy the time with FAMILY.

After running a restaurant, catering, competing in que, etc. I just smile and eat what they serve. Family gatherings are not time to be a farkin' food critic.

Also, DO NOT take your own meat to the party unless asked. Damn, that's farked up!

Rick's Tropical Delight
04-11-2009, 01:49 PM
I didn't think you were looking for serious responses.

By all means, enjoy Easter with your family and enjoy their gracious hospitality.

crabbass
04-11-2009, 02:30 PM
When visiting my inlaws who had no grill of any kind. I did ribs in the oven low and slow 200 degrees then sauce under the broiler. (Alton Brown method). They were very good.

CajunSmoker
04-11-2009, 03:20 PM
Bro, you said "She is a very good cook and always has something new and tasty on the menu." How about giving her the benefit of the doubt!

Guys. This is FAMILY!

After running a restaurant, catering, competing in que, etc. I just smile and eat what they serve. Family gatherings are not time to be a farkin' food critic.

Also, DO NOT take your own meat to the party unless asked. Damn, that's farked up!

That's a great answer:cool:

Bentley
04-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Accept them as ribs, not as BBQ, and you'll be fine. Ribs do not always have to be bbq.

Bingo, must be in the front row!

If she is as good a cook as you say I bet they will be excellent ribs. They will not be BBQ'ed ribs.

I have had some real good rib roasts that were ccoked in the oven, I had some horrible ones that were cooked on pits...It's all relative!

leanza
04-11-2009, 04:59 PM
Grin and bear it!

parrothead
04-11-2009, 05:59 PM
I will be having my mother's lasagna. Yumms!!!!!!!!!! Good for me. Hope they are at least edible.

Brauma
04-11-2009, 06:12 PM
So... how was it?

I just had a burnt end sandwich. Yummo.

OUT OF ORDER
04-11-2009, 07:48 PM
There is nothing so delicious as gray, mushy ribs!
Oh, unless they are then drowned in some grocery store sauce!raft with a (k) in front is the best bbq sauce around make sure they use that lol (im sorry man):icon_devil:icon_devil:icon_devil:icon_devil

Crüe-B-Cüe
04-11-2009, 08:37 PM

I didn't think you were looking for serious responses.

By all means, enjoy Easter with your family and enjoy their gracious hospitality.

Grin and bear it!

No, never expected serious answers. :biggrin:

The suck it up part is right, but with baked ribs and in-laws, i think the grin and bear it fits better. :cool:

BBQchef33
04-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Accept them as ribs, not as BBQ, and you'll be fine. Ribs do not always have to be bbq. I've had wonderful ribs and kraut and other delectible dishes with ribs as the guest of honor.

Remember that Heat is Heat. However, I agree with not boiling - that would be truly sad.

Be gracious.

yeah! what he said... crock pot ribs with kraut is good schtuff.. just aint Q.

zydecopaws
04-11-2009, 09:00 PM
Just don't take pictures of it. Remember, no pictures, didn't happen...

BarberQue
04-11-2009, 09:04 PM
If you new my inlaws... the hitting the guard rail thing sounds like a good idea:twisted:.
When we were in Cinci last summer, everyone said you gotta go to Montgomery's for the ribs, so we went:-D. I had no clue a restuarant with that kinda reputation would serve baked ribs:shock:. They were good, but I was looking forward to some smoke:sad: I won't go back again.

Crüe-B-Cüe
04-12-2009, 09:33 AM
Just don't take pictures of it. Remember, no pictures, didn't happen...

Great idea!!!

If you new my inlaws... the hitting the guard rail thing sounds like a good idea:twisted:.

Yeah, kinda my situation. My sis-in-law and her husband are o.k. (she's actually my wife's half sister.) But my mother-in-law and her husband who will be there make the guard rail thing sound good.

last night we got invited to my father-in-laws house for chicken and ribs in 2 weeks. He just straight up grills them for about 30 minutes and adds sauce. They are very chewy, but I have to eat them because he knows how much I love ribs. What they don't realize is I love my ribs. :biggrin:

Bigdog
04-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Great idea!!!

Yeah, kinda my situation. My sis-in-law and her husband are o.k. (she's actually my wife's half sister.) But my mother-in-law and her husband who will be there make the guard rail thing sound good.

last night we got invited to my father-in-laws house for chicken and ribs in 2 weeks. He just straight up grills them for about 30 minutes and adds sauce. They are very chewy, but I have to eat them because he knows how much I love ribs. What they don't realize is I love my ribs. :biggrin:

Return the favor and invite him over for ribs sometime. Then when he asks how you did them, show him. But be kind. Nobody likes to be insulted.

BigAl
04-12-2009, 05:39 PM
LIEING IS NEVER THE ANSWER!

If asked how you like them, be honest. Quickly picture yourself in the middle of your ultimate sexual fantasy (this puts a smile on your face) and then proclaim "I can't remember the last time I had ribs like these!"

:lol: Good one, gotta remember this:!:

Norcoredneck
04-12-2009, 05:40 PM
We need Pron!

Crüe-B-Cüe
04-12-2009, 08:15 PM
Turned out they bought a grill yesterday and decided to cook chicken breasts. Whew, that was close. :biggrin:

zydecopaws
04-12-2009, 08:21 PM
Saved by the yardbird!

Coz
04-12-2009, 08:37 PM
We were at the bro in laws today for ribs and fish.Interesting.Ribs were Baby backs done on grill very lightly sauced,not so bad.Now here is where I should have taken the camera he had borrowed his bro in laws fryer which is a disc from a farm type disc which most have seen on numerous threads here.They took and rolled a piece of steel maybe 2 inches tall and added it to the disc and welded a couple of handles on it.Then he took whole tilapia and gave them a citrus soak and the seasoned with some different seasonings and fried them in the disc like he was pan frying .he fried them till the skin was crispy.Very good.I had always been going to do one of the disc cookers but kinda forgot about it,now its back on the priority list.His wife is from Mexico and this is one of her familys traditional meals .Glad she is part of the family.I originally had thoughts like Crue that this was going to be a bad day but it was pretty good after all.