PDA

View Full Version : WARNING: Briskets at Sam's Club, Independence, MO

Jeff_in_KC
04-08-2009, 07:01 PM
Careful what you buy here! Went in today to pick up a brisket and a few things for the Osage City comp. Found a really nicely marbled full packer brisket (which means I'll destroy it when I cook it). It was only around 10 pounds. Price was about $31. It was marked at $2.68 per pound. There were maybe three this way. The rest were around $1.79 per pound. I asked the meat guy and he said they had to price it at a flat price because it came out of a box of flats that they ordered and paid flat price for. I called bullchit! I asked for the meat dept manager who came out with an attitude and asked what I wanted from him. I told him that I wanted to buy THIS packer at packer price and not flat price. He said he couldn't do it and repeated the story of the packers in a flat box. I asked to see the box. He said he didn't have it. He said he didn't have time to mess around with a few briskets and that he wasn't going to take the loss. I told him they must have picked out the nicest one and marked it up. He again said he didn't have time to screw around with a few briskets. I said neither do I and I expect to pay packer price for a packer and said I'd go over his head and also report them for sellng packers labeled and priced as a flat. He grabbed the brisket and said he'd change the price. Didn't even have the nerve to do it politely and to come back out with it... he sent the hourly guy to face me. Just be careful what you pick up at Sam's Club here. And God forbid you ask them to sell something at it's proper price.

SoEzzy
04-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Sometimes I just don't understand people!

This is one of them...He must have had something to do with the original error, and was trying to fudge things to cover it up, IMO!

bbqbull
04-08-2009, 07:14 PM
Never had that problem with the Sams Clubs, the 2 we have here in Lansing Jeff.
Ive had problems with the non educated folks who stock the meat coolers who cant read or write.

I ordered 50 chicken thighs, the kid wrote down 50 cases of thighs.......duh.
The meat cutter called me and asked me if I really wanted 50 cases?
I said nope just 50.
He said next time please talk to a meat cutter not one of the meat dept. stock folks.

Sorry you had problems Jeff.

StrikeEagle
04-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Maybe an underhanded attempt to boost his department margin for the week/month?

I've never experienced something like that at Sam's, but having worked grocery during my younger years, I can see someone trying to skate that by as a way to look good.

Personally, I'd send an e-mail and report the experience to his "food chain". Dishonesty like that is B$.

BBQ Grail
04-08-2009, 08:38 PM
I love the meat guys and gals at my Sam's. They are awesome. They'll do just about anything you ask as long as it ethical, moral and legal. Great group of people.

DeanC
04-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Nice, I know a guy who works up there, hope it wasn't him. On a side note, I did a favor for them once. They had an entire bunker of full of baby back ribs marked as hamburger on the label. Not wanting to draw bad karma, I let them know before I made my purchase. They let me have three packs at the labeled price. I like the one in OP better.

71-South
04-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Amazing. I'd write a letter even though they eventually changed the price.

HoDeDo
04-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Actually, I have seen this... The Flats are CAB, and some of them come with a small point attached. I used to purchase cases there, until I got hooked up at Scuvuzzo's. They will sell me CAB Packers, Aged, that are 12.5lbs and up. (so 90+lb case) for $1.87lb. Did I mention they age the cases for 20 days in thier fridge... so I dont have to??? :)

Coz
04-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Couple weeks ago I was at a sams and noticed a couple packers marked as flats.This one doesnt sell packers so it must be happening often in their chain.

KC_Bobby
04-08-2009, 09:56 PM
What does one do to get a Scuvuzzo's hook up?

kcbbq13
04-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Scavuzzo's is the chit!!! Who sold it to you Johnny, Steve, big John, Santo, or Richard haha... All those guy's are my bro's... Anyone out there should buy meat from them! They have the best chit and prices win every time. Rooster if your listening you know what I'm talking about. KC!!!

BBQ Grail
04-08-2009, 09:59 PM

Walk up to the meat counter and loudly scream.

"Yo, dude! Andy said you'd hook me up with free beef."

It'll work, trust me!

kcbbq13
04-08-2009, 10:02 PM
No meat counter brother. Wholesale only unless you see the big truck at a comp then come get some good grub from us.

kcbbq13
04-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Not to mention if you haven't tried the bbq sausage yet you should! All you other fools out there know what I'm talking about.

capri man
04-08-2009, 10:11 PM
i can buy meat a lot cheaper at my local supermarkets than i can at wally world or sams!!!!!!! both are a rip off around here!!:roll::roll:

kcbbq13
04-08-2009, 10:20 PM
meat is meat unless your getting good meat...

Plowboy
04-08-2009, 10:22 PM
Ironcially, Randy was in the same store about an hour after you were. They only had one flat left in the case and none in the back. They offered to sell him the remaining flat at case price. The manager spent time talking with Randy and offering do to do whatever he could to help. I've bought a case of pork there before and saw something in the case I liked. They marked it at case price without batting an eye.

Lesson: Buy cases and you get better attention.

bbqbull
04-08-2009, 10:23 PM
i can buy meat a lot cheaper at my local supermarkets than i can at wally world or sams!!!!!!! both are a rip off around here!!:roll::roll:

Not disputing your comments here but......totally different here, just the opposite.

Case price is even better at Sams Club.

The will wet age a case of brisket flats for me free of charge as well.

Plowboy
04-08-2009, 10:24 PM

Just call and ask for a case of CAB brisket, 12 & up. Tell them that you'll be a case customer and when you want to pick it up. Order ahead and they will hold it for you (aka aging).

KC_Bobby
04-08-2009, 10:41 PM
Where is Scuvuzzo's?

Just Pulin' Pork
04-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Where is Scuvuzzo's?

Bobby the easiest way to find it, is go to heart of city market and turn right. You will go east about 2-3 miles and it is located right across the street from a flour mill. Google there adress but its biatch to find.

DMDon
04-09-2009, 12:07 AM
Actually, I have seen this... The Flats are CAB, and some of them come with a small point attached. I used to purchase cases there, until I got hooked up at Scuvuzzo's. They will sell me CAB Packers, Aged, that are 12.5lbs and up. (so 90+lb case) for $1.87lb. Did I mention they age the cases for 20 days in thier fridge... so I dont have to??? :)

Andy,
Are you freezing them or do you use them fast enough tht you don't have to. If I cook 3 or 4 a month a case will lat me 2 months, thats too long to age them.

Plowboy
04-09-2009, 07:52 AM
Andy,
Are you freezing them or do you use them fast enough tht you don't have to. If I cook 3 or 4 a month a case will lat me 2 months, thats too long to age them.

Using them up is always best, but if they reach the limit for your aging window, just freeze. If you don't want to use briskets that have been frozen for comp, then use them for family, catering, vending, or just practice.

HungryHolstrom
04-09-2009, 08:45 AM
Hey Man,

Just remember you are dealing with Wal-Mart employees from Indep, MO or Methlehem as I like to call it.:-D

Divemaster
04-09-2009, 08:54 AM
I've been lucky when I've had to go to Sams, but then again, I haven't had to go there for meat since I got the RD card....

Ken V
04-09-2009, 09:12 AM
I had the same thing happen at our Sams and the guy was really cool about it, changed it and never had a problem with it. He says it happens all the time and they try to remark them but miss a few.

Ken

thirdeye
04-09-2009, 09:21 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%207/IMG_0480a.jpg

I've had excellent service from Sam's. I do have a business account, which means I can go at 7AM and beat the crowds. When I want anything special, I go there in person and explain to one of the cutters exactly what I'm after, why I want it and when I want to pick it up. Then I take his name, exchange phone numbers and tell him to expect a follow-up call from me.

For example, I like to get my briskets the the same size, so the cook time is close. As long as I buy at least 3, I get the case price. I tell them I want all #13's or all #14's etc. They will write up my order that way and then break up cases to find me 5 or 6 that are within 1/2 pound of each other. Someitmes they have 8 or 10 same weight ones on a cart and let me pick the 5 or 6 I want.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Cooking/DSC03099.jpg

Balls Casten
04-09-2009, 09:33 AM
Scavuzzo's bbq sausage!
Last trip to KC I just called down there and ordered two boxes. I picked up at their office.

KC_Bobby
04-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Bobby the easiest way to find it, is go to heart of city market and turn right. You will go east about 2-3 miles and it is located right across the street from a flour mill. Google there adress but its biatch to find.

Thanks - I had no idea where they were located.

Todd, thanks for the info. Don, maybe we can split cases with someone else.

Plowboy
04-09-2009, 10:25 AM

You'll drive right by Fast Eddy's old fire station that he uses for his shop. POS building in POS area. :wink:

Plowboy
04-09-2009, 10:27 AM
Scavuzzo's bbq sausage!
Last trip to KC I just called down there and ordered two boxes. I picked up at their office.

Do they just have one sausage product? What's the box size?

Bossmanbbq
04-09-2009, 10:55 AM
I had the same problem here in Denver and like many other places where true butchers are a dying trade, I had to call for the manager who had to SHOW the two working in the meat department how to price the brisket correctly because they didn't know how to do it! I think alot of it is these guys get stuff out of a box and throw it in the case and dont know the diffrence between a flat and packer let alone how they should be priced!

thirdeye
04-09-2009, 02:58 PM
I had the same problem here in Denver and like many other places where true butchers are a dying trade, I had to call for the manager who had to SHOW the two working in the meat department how to price the brisket correctly because they didn't know how to do it! I think alot of it is these guys get stuff out of a box and throw it in the case and dont know the diffrence between a flat and packer let alone how they should be priced!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Cooking/IMG_0355.jpg

If these are the only kind of knives they know how to use, they ain't a real butcher.

Bossmanbbq
04-09-2009, 03:13 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Cooking/IMG_0355.jpg

If these are the only kind of knives they know how to use, they ain't a real butcher.

LOL You nailed it!!

DMDon
04-10-2009, 12:40 AM

Ok, who is up for splitting a case for St Joe?

HoDeDo
04-12-2009, 12:55 PM
Scavuzzo's is the chit!!! Who sold it to you Johnny, Steve, big John, Santo, or Richard haha... All those guy's are my bro's... Anyone out there should buy meat from them! They have the best chit and prices win every time. Rooster if your listening you know what I'm talking about. KC!!!

I've talked to big John, and Johnny both. They are great!!!!

Bobby - nothing special for the hook -- you just have to buy a case at a time... as they are a wholesaler. Go check them out. They rock.