PDA

View Full Version : traeger vs. fast eddy?

kcbbq13
04-05-2009, 06:03 PM
I'm looking at the traeger xl or fast eddy any advice?

Bentley
04-05-2009, 06:11 PM
I'm looking at the traeger xl or fast eddy any advice?

I have a Traeger 075 and love it. I assume you are looking at the FEC-100. All the folks I know that have one Love them. You are in Kansas, so if you are going to be cooking in the winter, the FEC will beat the Traeger for insulation without question. The FEC is going to have twice the capacity of the Treager. Pros for the Traeger, it will grill (some will not agree with this, but mine grills fine), from what I have heard about the FEC it will not. The Treager 075 is about 1/3 the cost of the FEC, so that maybe an issue too.

House
04-05-2009, 06:12 PM
I love my FEC. Would not trade it for anything. But I haul it around to competitions - so I need a very sturdy smoker. Treager is not as heavy duty as the FEC, but if it's gonna set in your backyard, does that really matter to you?

kcbbq13
04-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Thanks that's good to here because some folks said it wouldn't get hot enough to grill on.

Plowboy
04-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Thanks that's good to here because some folks said it wouldn't get hot enough to grill on.

One of our members in KC has an FEC-100 for sale: $2700. Look under member listings. Just posted it today.

www.kck.com sells them, too. Tell Bobby that Plowboy sent you. He'll give you a deal.

MilitantSquatter
04-05-2009, 06:41 PM
One of our members in KC has an FEC-100 for sale: $2700. Look under member listings. Just posted it today.

That one sold in just three hours !!

Plowboy
04-05-2009, 06:42 PM
That one sold in just three hours !!

That was a good deal, but not much less than what Bobby can do on a new one.

HoDeDo
04-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Smokin' Mike is selling a used FEC - as Todd noted.

If you are looking for a unit to grill on too... and truly want to be able to sear a steak... I would also add a country smoker into your consideration... I like my country smoker better than the Traegers. They can cook at 650 degrees or 170 degrees. super versatile, and built better than the new traegers. If you found an older used traeger, it might be built equally as well. hinges on the new ones are cheezy, and they seem to be put together with a little less beef. Probably part of the process of moving the build overseas....

Also seeing you are in Overland Park --I would definately call BBQ Bonanza (913--963--9182) - Tell Bob you are a brethren and you will get 15% of any smoker in his inventory.

kcbbq13
04-05-2009, 06:49 PM
does he stock both brands? What do you use?

Plowboy
04-05-2009, 06:52 PM
does he stock both brands? What do you use?

I've used the new FE grill, own 2 FEC-100's, own a Traeger 075, and own Louisiana Grill. I'd take a Louisiana grill over a Traeger because the LG will get hotter. The FEC-100's won't get as hot, but they are cooking machines!!! Smokers... not grills. The FE grill is one of a kind. You can sear over a direct fire and cook offset.

Bob has everything but the Traeger line.

kcbbq13
04-05-2009, 06:56 PM
awesome thanks man! I'm still not sure on which one to get? Does anyone cook on the traeger xl (smk150)? If the fec is way better for smoking that's what I want I assume I have a webber that I can blow the dust off to just grill...

HoDeDo
04-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Bob is dealer for Fast Eddy/Cookshack, Country Smoker, Kingfisher, southern style, and Louisiana Grills. ( and a couple others, like old smokey)...

For an all purpose unit... it would be hard to beat a country smoker for the money. It will do it all, and has served me VERY well.

If you are just smoking, and want all season "set it and forget it" - the FEC 100 is the unit for you.

If you want a Cadillac of a grill - that will excel in all things, and be build like a tank, wait for the Fast Eddy Pellet Grill.

As far as what I use in comps... I have an FEC100 and two country smokers... (a CS-1320 "Whole Hog" and a TG-300 Tailgator). I will be swapping the tailgator for the Fast Eddy Pellet grill as soon as it arrives. I'm chomping at the bit to get one in my grubby little paws.

Anytime you want to see any of them in action.... or if you want to check them out and kick the tires yourself, let me know. I'm always more than happy to break them out for cookin'. You just have to drag your butt out to the NW edge of the city, or a contest I'm cooking at.

HoDeDo
04-05-2009, 07:02 PM
PM me if you want to come and play with them - I'm happy to walk you through them, fire them up and let you cook on them.

kcbbq13
04-05-2009, 07:07 PM
thanks bro! it's good to find a site that people are helpful

Solidkick
04-05-2009, 07:11 PM
Brothers helping brothers.....nice thread!

Plowboy
04-05-2009, 07:13 PM
Then there's pellet brands and flavors. Andy and Bob can walk you through those as well. IMHO, the Traeger pellets are trash.

bbq lover
04-05-2009, 07:26 PM
plowboy what brand do you like ?and why unless we buy in bulk out here in cali.. we dont have many choices

Plowboy
04-05-2009, 07:34 PM
The Traeger pellets, especially on the West coast, are made with adler. The ash level on long cooks is really high. The flavor is inconsistent, and I've had bitter tastes on some long cooks.

I like BBQer's Delight the best. The flavors from those pellets are the best and most pronounced I've experienced. Branch Creek is another good pellet out of Kansas. I stopped using them about a year and a half ago. I think they are still manufacturing. It was iffy for a while. Fast Eddy has his own hickory and cherry pellets that smoke as great as the BBQer's Delight, and are cheaper. However, I stopped using Eddy's pellets because of the inconsistant size. Some were 3-4 inches long. Not great for filling augers and potentially tough on equipment.

bbq lover
04-05-2009, 07:49 PM
lol the problem is the BBQer's Delight pellets are 98.00 bucks for 20 lbs shipped to cali..and i can get 7 20 lb pags of traeger pellets for the same price wish there was a dealer in calif and would be sweet if they can in bigger bags lol

HoDeDo
04-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Todd is right, Branch Creek is still in production.... however... there has been issues with getting enough sawdust to produce the pellets. When construction is down ( cabinet making, etc too) then you lose your sawdust sources... and production gets spotty. I LOVED thier cherry pellets, but could never get them consistently. BBQr Delight are a great product, and have the highest % of the flavorwood of any of the blends on the market. low ash, good heat production, and consistent flavor.

Bentley
04-05-2009, 08:02 PM
If you are looking for a unit to grill on too... and truly want to be able to sear a steak... I would also add a country smoker into your consideration... I like my country smoker better than the Traegers.

I agree with the part about the CS grilling better than the Traeger. I have a 5 year old 075, so pretty solid, i like the fact it is an auger system and center fire pot, not paddlewheel and fire box all the way on one side of the pit.

I'd take a Louisiana grill over a Traeger because the LG will get hotter. The FE grill is one of a kind. You can sear over a direct fire and cook offset.

The CS will get hotter than a Traeger that is for sure.

I spoke with 2 FEC owners this weekend at Hesperia and they said they could not use their FEC's to grill...Maybe they dont know what you do. :-P

HoDeDo
04-05-2009, 08:04 PM
I spoke with 2 FEC owners this weekend at Hesperia and they said they could not use their FEC's to grill...Maybe they dont know what you do. :-P

Not the FEC's -- the new (not released yet) Fast Eddy Pellet Grill. (www.pelletcooker.com)

kcbbq13
04-05-2009, 08:06 PM
so what do you use for pellets?

Bentley
04-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Not the FEC's -- the new (not released yet) Fast Eddy Pellet Grill. (www.pelletcooker.com (http://www.pelletcooker.com))

I see said the blind man to his deaf dog!

so what do you use for pellets?

I have tried Traeger, Bear Mountain, BBQers Delight , not a bit of difference to me, but I dont understand how TV and radios work either. I like em all!

Using Bear Mountain righ now cuz I got 20# bags for $11 a bag.

Traeger and Bear Mountain are 60% Flavorwood, 40% Alder. BBQers Delight is 1/3 Flavorwood, 2/3 Oak. I would take Oak over Alder any day! Shipping is just to much.

Now Cookingpellets, they are the one! 100% wood, 100 pecan, 100% oak, 100% cherry, you get the picture. Great price if you live in Wisconsin. It cost more to ship them to CA than the pellets cost! They are the one, if I lived with in 250 miles of Chris it is all I would buy!