PDA

View Full Version : What Am I Going To Do With This...

Porchpup
04-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Sent the Wife after some rib eyes to grill for dinner tonight and as she was leaving I said "see if they have bone in".
Well they sure did but I never expected this. This ain't no steak it's a roast. One steak, 2" thick, 15.99 a lb, 1.96 lbs, $31.34 :shock:
Now I'm just an old redneck that is used to plain ole rib eyes and like them a little more done than most of you.
So any advice on just what the heck I'm suppose to do with this thing? I sure hope I don't screw this one up. :|

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg288/Porchpup/Smoker/BIRE01.jpg

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
04-04-2009, 03:42 PM
This thread might be of some help
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58635&highlight=cab+ribeyes

aquablue22
04-04-2009, 03:50 PM
That's a fine looking piece of meat, I thinking rub it up with fresh garlic, salt pepper and a little EVOO, throw that sucker on the gril and sear it on both side until Medium Rare (I know you don't like them that way) Smashed taters (recipe from this website) and a little rabbit food for health reasons! Man, that's living..............Oh yea, a couple of cold ones to go with it!

bbqbull
04-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Ive taken inch and half thick ribeyes, marinated them in ziplock bag with pepper, salt, onion and garlic powder.
I add one can of coke to 2 steaks.

I marinade no more than 4 hours max as the steaks will start falling apart.

I sear one side on a hot grill for a few minutes, turn 90 degrees for a few more minutes and then flip once.

If you like them more done in the center I would lower the heat and pull and rest at 145 degrees.

Thats some fine looking steak but its gonna take a bit longer to cook due to its thickness.

Good Luck.

mikeincg
04-04-2009, 04:08 PM
oil a hot pre heated grill with a little grape seed oil, put a little garlic, salt and pepper on the meat, put meat on grill and sear both sides,since it is a very thick steak, after searing put it on the top rack of your grill lower heat and slow cook until it is slightly med rare, take meat off grill and foil and let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes and you will have a wonderful piece of grub

that is my dos pesos on cooking that fine piece of meat

thirdeye
04-04-2009, 04:31 PM
That's a nice steak. On the thick ones, I'm always worried that I won't cook it even, as in ..... too done on the outside and not done enough on the inside. so, I have two plans.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%207/DSC04619a.jpg

Plan A is called a reverse sear:

Fire up that red Weber with a smaller bed of coals on one side and a larger & hotter bed on the other side. About an hour before you are ready to cook, paint a thin coating of olive oil on him, and season him up with whatever you like best. Start off on the low side, and cook it until you have some color on one side, then turn it. In a few minutes check his temperature. You want to know when it's 100° to 110°. When it reaches that, plate it, bring it in and cover with foil. Let it rest for about 5 minutes. Then re-season if you think it needs a bump, and put it back on the hot side. Turn as needed and cook until it is where you like it, doneness-wise. Then give it a short rest before cutting.

That rest time will help keep the doneness even, and let the juices equalize a little bit before going back on for the finish. Many folks claim that it will help keep it tender too because of the way the heat affects the protein fibers. I know it works for me. I tend to pull mine at 100° since I like mine medium rare.....I'm thinking if you are cooking yours medium or more, the 110° might be a good temp to pull off.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%202/7a2c3de0.jpg

Plan B is called the "hot tub" method: (really it is) Season your steak, then put it in a zipper baggie and seal it. Fill up a container with 100° water from the tap and put the steak in there for an hour. Change out the water if you need to. Meanwhile get the Weber ready with a medium temp fire. The steak comes out of the bag, gets a little olive oil spray, and goes on the cooker. The theroy here is you have now preheated the meat to about 75° degrees. It will cook very evenly on your grill for the next 50° or 60° it needs to have the doneness you want.

kylersk
04-04-2009, 04:36 PM
Shouldnt you let all steaks get to room temp before grilling?

BigAl
04-04-2009, 04:45 PM
Why not slice the bigest side off along the bone on both and then you would have 4 rib eyes, 2 with a bone and two without? Cook 2 today and save 2, that's a lot of steak to eat at once.

thirdeye
04-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Why not slice the bigest side off along the bone on both and then you would have 4 rib eyes, 2 with a bone and two without? Cook 2 today and save 2, that's a lot of steak to eat at once.

I thought he had just the one steak.....

AZScott
04-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Roast it like a mini prime rib. MMMmmm.......mmmmmm....mmm. You have a hell of a wife by the way for buying you that!

BigAl
04-04-2009, 05:15 PM
I thought he had just the one steak.....

Well then, if only one, he would have two after the cut, wouldn't he:?:

And the wife would have something to eat also:!:

Hard to get my mind around $31 + for ONE steak:mad:

Porchpup
04-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Thanks for all the great advice and yes it's just one steak to feed both of us. I think it will be plenty.
I'm definitely going to do the direct and indirect technique. Thank God I got that brand spankin' new Orange thermapen. :biggrin:

Ron_L
04-04-2009, 05:58 PM
You could always vacusuck it, pack it with some dry ice and send it to me and I'll send you back some thinner ones. :-D

Porchpup
04-04-2009, 06:09 PM
You could always vacusuck it, pack it with some dry ice and send it to me and I'll send you back some thinner ones. :-D
You would do that for me!? Folks here are always so willing to help. :smile:

DaveT
04-04-2009, 06:12 PM
That's a nice lookin steak. I would sear it on both sides then move it to a non-direct heat part of the grill through on a chunk of Mesquite and finish it there until it hits the temp you like. Remember to post pics which ever way you decid.

Porchpup
04-04-2009, 06:21 PM
I hear a lot of people like doing these with Mesquite.
I usually don't use any wood flavor on steaks but I may have to try it. Thanks

Barbarian
04-04-2009, 07:25 PM
I would smoke it. Internal temp 135-140 and enjoy the eats. No need to sear that thing. Or you could wrap, put in a box with dry ice and ship it to me!!!!!!

dbeast420
04-04-2009, 07:33 PM

I was thinking the exact same thing:lol:

Nice looking piece o' cow ya got there

big brother smoke
04-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Take pics of the hunk o meat done, please.

Porchpup
04-04-2009, 09:05 PM
That sucker will be going on shortly.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg288/Porchpup/Smoker/BIRE02.jpg

Porchpup
04-05-2009, 08:30 AM
Well is was mighty good. Grilled up some Portobellos to go with it.
If I ever do one again I'm going to go with the hot water to even out the temp idea that thirdeye mentioned.
I had a lot of temperature variations depending where I probed it. But it was very juicy and turned out incredibly good.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg288/Porchpup/Smoker/BIRE03.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg288/Porchpup/Smoker/BIRE04.jpg

widespread
04-05-2009, 08:43 AM
Man, that looks good, that is alot of beef!

thirdeye
04-05-2009, 10:56 AM
As good as it looked raw, I had a feeling it would be a great steak. :biggrin:

big brother smoke
04-05-2009, 11:06 AM
nice results

capri man
04-05-2009, 11:19 AM
$15.99 per lb??? dang, i buy CAB around here for around $8.99!!:confused:

fweck
04-05-2009, 11:41 AM
I'm just wondering, what's the wife going to eat?

Porchpup
04-05-2009, 12:25 PM
$15.99 per lb??? dang, i buy CAB around here for around $8.99!!:confused:
Yip, that's what I normally pay for a basic rib-eye. This puppy was far from your basic rib-eye. :-D

Diver
04-05-2009, 12:35 PM
Beautifully done!

Greendriver
04-05-2009, 12:38 PM
God I was just hoping you didn't screw that up - and you DIDN'T. Thirdeye if you say the reverse thang is good, I'll have to try it one day. I got a question for ya though. Did you mention the weber for this cook cause that is your preference or cause you thought that' what you believed Porchup was gonna be using? I've kinda been more happy with the grill over the ceramic for grillin steaks and stuff lately myself.

FatDaddy
04-05-2009, 01:36 PM
Yip, that's what I normally pay for a basic rib-eye. This puppy was far from your basic rib-eye. :-D
YUp I love the bone in Rib Eyes. expensive but hell its 2 steaks in one. We get em bout once a month when we are jonesin for a big ol ribeye. Like my pots HSLS posted i sear em both sides for about 5 min or so to get good char on em then set off indirect till they hit 130* maybe a little higher. Always melt in your mouth goodness.

LMAJ
04-05-2009, 01:57 PM
OH MY! That looks amazing.

Porchpup
04-05-2009, 02:11 PM
YUp I love the bone in Rib Eyes. expensive but hell its 2 steaks in one. We get em bout once a month when we are jonesin for a big ol ribeye. Like my pots HSLS posted i sear em both sides for about 5 min or so to get good char on em then set off indirect till they hit 130* maybe a little higher. Always melt in your mouth goodness.

Exactly what I did also. I see we both shop Market Street and the price is the same here as it is in Whiskey Falls. As you said...worth every penny.

old salt
04-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Our local Brookshires mkt had Angus Beef top sirloin steak on sale a couple of weeks ago so I thought I'd splurge and had the butcher cut a 2 inch one for us.
I added seasoning and marinated it for 24 hours. Next day I fired up my old clay Hibachi. Put the steak on a grill sitting on the coals for 2 minutes a side. Pulled it and put the top grill on. Waited for the temp to come down to 300, put the probe in and lay the steak on the grill. 45 minutes later the thermometer started beeping at 145*. That steak was just about melt in your mouth tender. There's only 2 of us and we are well up there in age so that 3lb steak lasted us 3 meals.

frognot
04-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Thanks for posting. Looks like you did well with that biggun!

Lotta good info about "pre-heating/cooking" thick steaks i didn't know.