PDA

View Full Version : BBQ Brisket Help

BBQ'n The Burbs
03-31-2009, 10:45 PM
I am q'n a brisket for a buddies wedding this weekend. I've done several. They all tasted great but I feal like they could use a bit more moisture. I am using a Brinkman barrell smoker. I rub and smoke whole brisket for 8-10 hr at 220-230, then wrap and keep warm 150 overnight. Wedding is at
11 am Saturday.

Cliff H.
03-31-2009, 10:52 PM
The most obvious thing is the 150 overnight part. I am all about resting a brisket. I have had them in the cooler for up to six hours.

It just seems that the dry heat from an oven element is a lot different from holding in a cooler wrapped in towels.

Can you adjust your cook time to leave you with only a few hours of rest time rather than leaving in the oven for several hours ?

blues_n_cues
03-31-2009, 10:55 PM
for slicing take it to 190 & wrap rest for 2-3 hours- let stand for an hour (@ least 1/2 hr)& thin slice

for pulling- @ least 200 then wrap rest the same

then pull

thats my advice & i'm sticking to it....

blues_n_cues
03-31-2009, 10:57 PM
I am q'n a brisket for a buddies wedding this weekend. I've done several. They all tasted great but I feal like they could use a bit more moisture. I am using a Brinkman barrell smoker. I rub and smoke whole brisket for 8-10 hr at 220-230, then wrap and keep warm 150 overnight. Wedding is at
11 am Saturday.
depending where ya got the brisket(really no matter) 150 will only rise to 160 & be rubber - even thin sliced- it ain't prime rib.....:icon_smil

but i could be wrong & love it when i am....

Bentley
03-31-2009, 11:03 PM
Injectem, Foilem, Restem...I am not a good enough Pit Master to tell you how to get more moisture into them without doing all three of those! You probably dont have access to Butchers or some other moisture enhancer...Try injecting with beef broth mixed with your favorit rub...

Not much help, wish you luck.

blues_n_cues
03-31-2009, 11:10 PM
oops i missed it moisture...
pan underneath w/ 1/2 cup beef broth & simmered onion garlic-collect the drippings- when ya wrap put that in foil- there ya go.......:-D

BBQ'n The Burbs
04-14-2009, 12:35 AM
Smoked it for about 14 hrs. Wrapped it, stuffed it into an ice chest with newspaper. carved it the3 next mourning but it was a bit dry, so I carved off a few chunks of the charred fat threw it in a saucepan and rendered it down. Drizzled it over the top after slicing. The flavors of the rub and crust turned into an au jus.
Second save, no losses
Pulled pork, injected for the first time, didn't seam to cook as fast, still killed.
The wife brined the chicken breasts, awesome idea for outdoor buffet.