PDA

View Full Version : New Q'er, 2 months and ~50 people to feed.

kylersk
03-31-2009, 10:05 PM
From what i've read, BBQ butt is probably the easiest cook to do, which was my first, but on a small propane smoker. My wife loved it, so I figured I could cook some up for a party this summer. I've got an free (NBBD?) offset smoker, a cheap brinkman gas smoker and should have a UDS built soon.

I've had troubles controlling temps, especially for long periods of time in the offset. I'll still play around with it, but I'm really intruiged with the UDS and the appeared easy temp control.

So, on to my question. If I'm correct, I should get 4-5 butts on a UDS? Which is prolly, 20-30#'s of meat? Would 1 UDS, with 2 racks work? Or should I go ahead and make a second UDS? Or, I could try the UDS for a few butts and do the rest on my offset.

Man, what did I get my self in?

(and yeah, i've asked a TON of questions on my first day in this forum)

blues brother
03-31-2009, 10:28 PM
Just my 2 cents...If you have time cook before the event, cook, food saver, freeze. If it is a "presentation" event have several to "show off" on your cooker and have the Pre Prepped stuff ready to go. Smoke and mirrors...But it will make you look good.

Rookie'48
03-31-2009, 11:27 PM
On my UDS with the Weber lid & two 22.5" grates, I can get three to four butts per grate. On the WSMs I get two butts per grate. My little brother (Dessert Dweller) did four on his WSM & four more on his single shelf UDS, then turned around & did it all again - for a total of 16 butts! That's about two days of cookin' :eek:.

snoqualmiesmoker
03-31-2009, 11:37 PM
I think these mods will help your offset...

http://www.bbqinstitute.com/SmokerModifications.pdf

Desert Dweller
04-01-2009, 03:06 AM
On my UDS with the Weber lid & two 22.5" grates, I can get three to four butts per grate. On the WSMs I get two butts per grate. My little brother (Dessert Dweller) did four on his WSM & four more on his single shelf UDS, then turned around & did it all again - for a total of 16 butts! That's about two days of cookin' :eek:.

I would go for a weber dome lid on a UDS with two grates. You can fit four butts on the bottom grill and three easily on the top without crowding your food and leaving plenty of room for smoke and heat circulation.
Seven 7 lb butts equal 49 lbs. and even if you get 40% reduction in the cook (and you won't) that still leaves you a bit over 30 lbs of finished pork for pulling, and that is enough to feed 50 folks. Eight 7 pounders leaves you room for error and another meal for the family!

jason
04-01-2009, 10:29 AM
Hey Coach,

Boston Butts will reduce in weight by about 50%.

Assuming you'll want to feed 50 people 1/3lb of pork, you'll want at least 34lbs of butts.

I did 30lbs on my Large BGE. It was a tight fit, but it was doable. The UDS look like they have a lot more space than BGE, so I think you could easily do 30-40 lbs of butts in one UDS.