PDA

View Full Version : Orion Stainless Steel Smoker--Got one?

Rowdycue
03-28-2009, 09:32 AM
Sportsman's Guide has these convection charcoal smokers for $62.97. It claims to be able to smoke a 20 pound turkey in 2 and 1/4 hrs. and hold 6 racks of ribs which can cook in 1 hr. 15 min. Have any of you seen or used one? If the claims are true it looks like a good deal. I Googled it and it seems to be pretty popular.

Norcoredneck
03-28-2009, 09:35 AM
Don't know if I would call it a smoker. They do cook turkeys. 6 Raks of ribs I would like to see. Seems more like dutch oven style cooking to me. home depot clearanced them a while ago.

Stoke&Smoke
03-28-2009, 09:41 AM
I have one, and my advice would be, skip it unless you want something that does a really good job cooking (not smoking) poultry

It cooks via convection, you fill a charcoal ring on the bottom, and a cup of sorts on the top with charcoal. The only way to get smoke is to add wood shavings at the bottom, inside the unit, between the outside wall and the drip pan.

I'm thinking it's popular with the same crowd that boils and grills their ribs!:eusa_clap:icon_pissed

I've done spare ribs in it, and, IMHO, they cook too fast to render enough fat, leaving them tough, and greasy. I wouldn't waste my time or money even trying a butt or brisket, though they claim it cooks them well.

I will say I have done poultry in it and it's come out very juicy and tender, and by using some yardbird, very tasty! But it's very tough to get much smoke flavor in using this method.

Also, it's not very economical. It takes a large amount of charcoal to fire it, and there's quite a bit of waste.

If you were local, I'd probably sell you mine for a better price than they're asking, and I've only used it 3 times.

Desert Dweller
03-28-2009, 10:07 AM
If you were local, I'd probably sell you mine for a better price than they're asking, and I've only used it 3 times.

I have never heard of the unit, but I think the above says it all...