PDA

View Full Version : converting a smoker to reverse flow

eagle697
03-01-2009, 08:37 PM
How hard is it to convert a smoker to reverse flow. Looking at one that has a warmer above the firebox and appears to be made from a propane tank. I am looking at moving the smokestack and adding a heatplate.

Weiser
03-01-2009, 08:42 PM
Chris, have you been drinking?:-P
I have no idea what you are going to butcher but it sounds
like a helluva lot of work.
Keep the one you have and start the new one from scratch.
Just my opinion...

Weiser

How hard is it to convert a smoker to reverse flow. Looking at one that has a warmer above the firebox and appears to be made from a propane tank. I am looking at moving the smokestack and adding a heatplate.

eagle697
03-01-2009, 08:45 PM
That is what i was thinking. If a brother had done it easily in the past i was going to consider it, I will probably wait and build my own or find what i want.

Weiser
03-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Don't get me wrong, Reverse Flows intrigue me, I'd like to play with one.
From what I understand they can be a real problem to tune properly.
Figure out what you want, do the sketches and enjoy the smoker that you have, fire it up while contemplating your plans.
Ya gotta have one in service at all times!:-D

Weiser

That is what i was thinking. If a brother had done it easily in the past i was going to consider it, I will probably wait and build my own or find what i want.

Norcoredneck
03-02-2009, 10:17 AM
Someone here converted one, Brahma maybe? poated several pics of rework. Also some Pi$$y guy from Nebraska buils something he called Lola which was a reverse flow.

Hachie Qer
03-02-2009, 10:29 AM
I have a horizontal offset that I refurbished recently. The idea of reverse flow intrigues me too, but from what I have learned since I joined here is the Bandera is better design than the horizontal, even if you do reverse flow. I agree with Weiser. If you really want a project that is a challenge just so you can say you did it, go for it. Otherwise enjoy the Bandera. I'd like to try one myself.

eagle697
03-02-2009, 02:56 PM
The one i was looking at moding is a custom built out of a large propane tank. Looks like a lang, but isn't reverse flow. Cooking grate is 30x48. It is mounted on a trailer. I wouldn't worry about converting a smaller one. If i could get this one for a good price and just add the plate, move the stack, and tune, it would be good. DOn;t think i could get it for that good a proce though.

Hachie Qer
03-02-2009, 03:02 PM
The one i was looking at moding is a custom built out of a large propane tank. Looks like a lang, but isn't reverse flow. Cooking grate is 30x48. It is mounted on a trailer. I wouldn't worry about converting a smaller one. If i could get this one for a good price and just add the plate, move the stack, and tune, it would be good. DOn;t think i could get it for that good a proce though.
A larger one might be worth it if the price is right. It should be easier to tune than a small one too.

jestridge
03-02-2009, 03:46 PM
What I know about them it prolly wouldnt be all that hard some cuttting and welding

The Pigman
03-02-2009, 04:01 PM
I do like the reverse flow................fig the cost and look for a used lang you may do good just buying a lang.

blues brother
03-02-2009, 04:45 PM
Chris,
Years ago me and a buddy built an offset(250 gal propane tank). Didn't like the way it cooked. So we made a "u" shaped plate and slid it in place. It seemed to work better...more even temps. It should not be too hard to do.
You gonna make to Thomaston or Barnesville in April?

FatDaddy
03-02-2009, 05:18 PM
here is the thread on my rebuild of my homemade pit. turned it into a reverse flow. Works great I love it.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31115&highlight=reverse+flow

Norcoredneck
03-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Knew I had seen it! FatDaddy not Brahma

chinesebob
03-02-2009, 05:34 PM
What I know about them it prolly wouldnt be all that hard some cuttting and welding

yeah but you're a welding teacher - everything is just "some cutting and welding"

I've put together some plans for a future smoker I'd like to make and it wasn't reverse flow as much as it was deferred flow. Problem with reverse slow, and why things like the UDS, Egg, Spicewine, work so well is because there's not pushing smoke and heat around. There is such a thing as making it more difficult than it needs to be.

Now an offset is great for the looks and for ease of use and a lot more tolerance in heat flare ups that some people, ahem, could use.

But for the money, ease of use, and just pure good looks - nothing beats a UDS.

eagle697
03-02-2009, 06:02 PM
Chris,
Years ago me and a buddy built an offset(250 gal propane tank). Didn't like the way it cooked. So we made a "u" shaped plate and slid it in place. It seemed to work better...more even temps. It should not be too hard to do.
You gonna make to Thomaston or Barnesville in April?
We should be in THomaston. Don;t think the team is going to Barnesville, so i may be looking for a team to cook with. Should know in the next week or two.

blues brother
03-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Looking forward to seeing you in T-town. You are welcome to hang out at our camp in B-ville.