PDA

View Full Version : Decisions...decisions...

JD McGee
02-28-2009, 10:24 AM
Ok...here's the deal. My briskets usually suck...(just ask my wife)..so...I'm asking your advice on how to do a 4.8 lb choice flat.

I'm going to inject it with "Butcher Block" to honor my agreement with Plowboy. :biggrin: As far as rub is concerned...I'm torn between Salt and Pepper(Funk's advice), Bovine Bold (Plowboy), or Dr. BBQ's Bigtime Brisket Rub? (leaning toward Dr. BBQ's)

Along with my rub choice dilema...is how to cook the flat...and in what smoker? Low-n-slow...or hot and fast? WSM, BGE, or UDS? I'd really need to hit this one out of the ballpark because...well...because I pretty much suck at briskets. (leaning toward hot, fast, and foil in the BGE)

I've been reading a lot of posts and books recently on how to do briskets and have come to one conclusion...every single person has his or her own way of doing them. I'm just trying to find mine. I'm pretty sure it's going to be a combination of "all the above".

Thanks for listening...I am now placing my Sunday brisket in to your capable hands. Oh...one last thing...

Thanks! :-P

swamprb
02-28-2009, 10:26 AM
Boil it.

Skidder
02-28-2009, 10:33 AM
JD crockpot! Just messing with ya. Check this out.
http://www.thepickledpig.com/forums/bbq-contests/703-award-winning-competition-brisket.html

JD McGee
02-28-2009, 10:33 AM
Boil it.

Hey...you didn't wait for the poll! :twisted: I've already got your advice tucked away in my back pocket bro...thanks! :-P

smokinit
02-28-2009, 10:46 AM
I like Todds Bovine bold but all so like the traditional salt,pepper and garlic and it's got to be slow and anyone of those cookers will work. Just my two cents.

Dr_KY
02-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Go British and roll it.

Hell Fire Grill
02-28-2009, 10:51 AM
I have a lot to learn when it comes to brisket. Last weekend I Qed a cheap Cash n Carry brisket with a version of Kickasses rub and it turned out OK, nothing against the rub just Im not that good of a cook. It was cooked at 300-325* the whole time and was good and tender when it finished. I dont do many briskets because Im cheap and pork is too. We were happy with the results but I know I can do it better. A couple days after I cooked it I seen funks brisket post and learned a whole bunch and the next time I cook a brisket I'll use some of his tips. I think the rub he uses is part of the key to getting it right especialy if you like the flavor of beef.

bigabyte
02-28-2009, 11:01 AM
LOL!:lol: There is 1 vote for every option! That's definitive!:lol:

I am a big proponent of trying it every way.:wink: If it were mine though, and using the ingredients you listed, I may go for a blend. Give it a fairly good sprinklking of kosher salt, then sprinkle on a good layer of either Bovine Bold of Dr. BBQ rub, then hit it with a good layer of a blend of black pepper/canadian steak seasoning.

milehigh
02-28-2009, 11:04 AM
Noticed when i voted it was 60 % hot and fast no matter which cooker. Not what i would have thought. Voting for the S & P to keep your variables down. Looking forward to your results.

Paul

bbqbull
02-28-2009, 11:06 AM
I voted low and slow...........thats how Wyatt does it.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
02-28-2009, 11:20 AM
I tried a high temp on whe nre webber 22.5. i really liked it!

Barbarian
02-28-2009, 11:33 AM
i voted L&S UDS
I would not inject, I would try this out of the George Clinton thread
"So on your next brisket... stop using store bought rubs for a minute and try some Clinton, Larry Graham and maybe one other ingredient. "

This is what I will try on my next briskie. Not sure about a third ingredient yet. Will see if I can find out what Don Cornelius Seed is before deciding.

bigabyte
02-28-2009, 11:37 AM
I like a little bit of garlic powder personally......and cayenne!:biggrin:

Meat Burner
02-28-2009, 11:43 AM
JD the voting a real help to you I see. LOL I did about a 5 lber awhile back on the UDS going low and slow. Was tasty but got a little too dry. Did another about 6 lbs hot and fast and was much better. Didn't foil either one but I will the next time to see if the results are any different. Good luck brother...it will be real good I bet!

bigabyte
02-28-2009, 11:46 AM
Kinda looks like Low and Slow in the WSM is in the minority here! :lol:

nthole
02-28-2009, 11:48 AM
Not anymore!

JimT
02-28-2009, 11:57 AM
WSM, about 325 lid temp. Foil with 1/2 cup of liquid shortly after it hits the plateau. Start checking for "doneness" about an hour and a half later. Mine normally go about 2 hours in the foil.

Soft bark, great taste and tenderness.

JimT

Harbormaster
02-28-2009, 12:00 PM
Kinda looks like Low and Slow in the WSM is in the minority here! :lol:
Chris - this is the only way I know how.
It got my vote.

LMAJ
02-28-2009, 01:14 PM
Pick your favorite rub... throw it on the egg, set your temps and wait till it hits 200 degrees. Pull it, rest it in a cooler, enjoy.
Looking forward to the pics.

71-South
02-28-2009, 01:14 PM
Low-n-Slow...BGE - 34.48%Yeah, Baby!

bigabyte
02-28-2009, 01:23 PM
Looks like the Eggs are taking over.
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/funny-pictures-cat-bird-egg-watermelon.jpg

tjv
02-28-2009, 01:43 PM
Family is not a fan of the point, so I do flats on the large or xl bge. Couple things that work for me are: do not pick one under 5.5 pounds, closer to 7 pounds is more betta; don't pick one with a really thin end, minimum choice grade; 195ish internal, 235 grid temp; usually total egg time 10-12 hours followed by an hour or so in a cooler. I usually have to foil sometime while the flat is in the plataeu stage, just depends on how it looks. t

JD McGee
02-28-2009, 03:44 PM
Thanks for all the input folks...looks like low-n-slow on the BGE is the preferred method and smoker.

I'll shoot for 225-250 dome...indirect...fat cap down for 1 hour...flip and smoke to an internal of 160...foil...smoke till 195 internal...wrap in towel...cooler...rest for a couple of hours.

As far as rubs I'm going with Kosher salt, coarse black pepper, and garlic powder. Any suggestions on rub ratio? I'm thinking...

Salt...1/8 cup
Pepper...1/8 cup
Garlic Powder...1 Tablespoon

Injection will be Todd's Butcher block sample.

Using oak wine barrel chunks for smokewood (thanks Swamp).

That's the plan...stay tuned tomorrow for brisky pron. :biggrin:

tjv
02-28-2009, 03:56 PM
I asked the salt, pepper, garlic ratio question and the concensus was equal thirds. I did one and agree. Note, kosher salt, and granular garlic.t
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/tvogds/misc/saltpeppergarlicrub002.jpg

jestridge
02-28-2009, 04:29 PM
throw all your smoker away and get a stick burner, low and slow over hickory coals

milehigh
02-28-2009, 04:31 PM
Funky:biggrin:

Paul

JD McGee
02-28-2009, 05:41 PM
I asked the salt, pepper, garlic ratio question and the concensus was equal thirds. I did one and agree. Note, kosher salt, and granular garlic.t
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/tvogds/misc/saltpeppergarlicrub002.jpg

Equal thirds it is...thanks! :-P

River City Smokehouse
02-28-2009, 06:02 PM
JD, With a flat that small, if it were me personally, I would rub it down, don't inject it, put it in the pit with a pit temp of 275 or so. Let the meat's internal temp come up to 160*F and put it in a Reynolds Oven bag along with a cup of beef broth and seal it tight with as little air in it as possible and then wrap in foil tightly. Put it back in the pit at 250*F until the brisket shows about 190*F. Pull it out and wrap it in a towel really good and put into a cooler for at least 1 hour. Remove and slice. That method will take probably 5 hrs. or so for a flat that small.

Meat Burner
02-28-2009, 07:04 PM
JD, With a flat that small, if it were me personally, I would rub it down, don't inject it, put it in the pit with a pit temp of 275 or so. Let the meat's internal temp come up to 160*F and put it in a Reynolds Oven bag along with a cup of bbef broth anf seal it tight with as little air in it as possible and then wrap in foil tightly. Put it back in the pit at 250*F until the brisket shows about 190*F. Pull it out and wrap it in a towel really good and put into a cooler for at least 1 hour. Remove and slice. That method will take probably 5 hrs. or so for a flat that small.
Thanks RCS, small flats scare me! Might try that just to get over my fear.

River City Smokehouse
02-28-2009, 07:15 PM
Thanks RCS, small flats scare me! Might try that just to get over my fear.
Well, I used that method two years in a row at Mo. State Fair and it must have worked for me. I took 1st place beef the first year and tied for second the next year....of course with the tie breaker I ended up at 3rd by .001 pts.:rolleyes:
I never cook flats, so this was the only times I had done them. I always cook packers. The Mo. State Fair contest used to be a one day deal and if you were going to do brisket, you had about 6 hours to cook it and turn it in. I owe thanks to Juggy D. Beerman and Martha (former fair contest organizer).

Weiser
02-28-2009, 10:04 PM
I have shied away from the flats, always do Packers but this
sounds doable...:|
Thanks.
Weiser

JD, With a flat that small, if it were me personally, I would rub it down, don't inject it, put it in the pit with a pit temp of 275 or so. Let the meat's internal temp come up to 160*F and put it in a Reynolds Oven bag along with a cup of beef broth and seal it tight with as little air in it as possible and then wrap in foil tightly. Put it back in the pit at 250*F until the brisket shows about 190*F. Pull it out and wrap it in a towel really good and put into a cooler for at least 1 hour. Remove and slice. That method will take probably 5 hrs. or so for a flat that small.

bigabyte
02-28-2009, 10:51 PM
How was it?

swamprb
02-28-2009, 10:55 PM
Got the Egg fired up yet?

bigabyte
02-28-2009, 11:00 PM
There's still time.:lol:

Brian in Maine
03-01-2009, 06:33 AM

That's the method I use. And my briskets are usually tasty, and tender.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
03-01-2009, 09:52 AM
my large packer only took about 5 hours.