PDA

View Full Version : Is it Safe???

Neil
02-28-2009, 05:52 AM
Took 2lbs. of bacon out of the freezer then into the micro for 5 minutes on defrost to start the thawing process. Did this last night around 8:00 and found the bacon still in the micro 6:30 this morning!!:yikes: Must be a reaction from giving up alcohol for lent.:biggrin::biggrin: I go 3 days without any JD and my mind won't function! Seriously, I checked the temp of the bacon with the thermopen and it is 65*. After 5 minutes on defrost in the micro the bacon was still frozen solid. Do you think it is safe to fry up and eat or should I just throw it out.

Rooster
02-28-2009, 06:07 AM
I personally wouldn't risk it.

bbqvic
02-28-2009, 06:26 AM
If the bacon is cured - it should be fine.

Neil
02-28-2009, 06:47 AM
If the bacon is cured - it should be fine.

That is what I was thinking.

keend
02-28-2009, 06:56 AM
It is probably fine as said above, but....is two pounds of bacon worth the possible consequences? You make the call, but to me it is not.:icon_sick

Neil
02-28-2009, 06:58 AM
It is probably fine as said above, but....is two pounds of bacon worth the possible consequences? You make the call, but to me it is not.:icon_sick

Could be a new Quick Weight Loss Diet that involves BACON!!!!!

Kosmo's Q
02-28-2009, 07:10 AM
Not worth the risk IMO. But what a hell of a waste!

jcinadr
02-28-2009, 07:50 AM
I have gone camping and eaten bacon (unrefrigerated) on day 3 or 4. Curing Bacon was a method of preserving it before refrigeration.

BBQ_MAFIA
02-28-2009, 08:14 AM
Neil, if you are asking, you are concerned, if you are concerned, don't take the risk.

Although it's probably fine, I'm sure you can run out and get another pound in less time then it would take to wait for feed back from all of us.

Don't get yourself sick, it's not worth it. That's just my 2cents.

EatonHoggBBQ
02-28-2009, 08:19 AM
Toss it.

thirdeye
02-28-2009, 08:35 AM
I say toss it too.

On a side note, several articles I stumbled on last year mentioned disadvantages to freezing bacon...... Because of the high fat and moisture content, bacon can go rancid when frozen longer than a month. In testing, sliced bacon went rancid much quicker than slab bacon. The authors of "The Bacon Cookbook" recommend never freezing sliced bacon.

jgh1204
02-28-2009, 08:45 AM
In testing, sliced bacon went rancid much quicker than sliced bacon..

I would have guessed they were equal. :biggrin:

HBMTN
02-28-2009, 08:45 AM
Disgard 2lbs of bacon= $4.00 Trip to emergency room with food poison $4444444444444444499999999999999999333333333333330 00000000000000000000.00 and a threatening letter if you don't give them $1000 per month :lol:

smooookin
02-28-2009, 08:48 AM
Could be a new Quick Weight Loss Diet that involves BACON!!!!!

I can see millions from the book sales.

thirdeye
02-28-2009, 08:52 AM
I would have guessed they were equal. :biggrin:

Nice catch.

Midnight Smoke
02-28-2009, 08:54 AM
I would just toss it, mark it as a loss. If you decide to cook it up and things go south...Could I have your Smokers? :-?

bbqvic
02-28-2009, 11:44 AM
Well - What did you do with it????????????

Hello - are you ok?

smooookin
02-28-2009, 11:51 AM
Well - What did you do with it????????????

Hello - are you ok?

Yeah, when you get out of the bathroom let us know what you decided to do. :lol:

capri man
02-28-2009, 11:52 AM
ok come on out of the bathroom!!! we all know he ate it!!:biggrin:

nthole
02-28-2009, 11:54 AM
Wouldn't frying it kill anything? As long as something is cooked to beegeezus can't it be eaten, even if it was rancid?

That being said, I would have tossed it.

That's interesting about frozen bacon though. We freeze bacon all the time. Now you have me concerned.

thirdeye
02-28-2009, 12:02 PM
Wouldn't frying it kill anything? As long as something is cooked to beegeezus can't it be eaten, even if it was rancid?

That being said, I would have tossed it.

That's interesting about frozen bacon though. We freeze bacon all the time. Now you have me concerned.

After reading that info I mentioned, I did a side-by-side cook. I had some thick sliced bacon from Sam's that had been in the freezer for 2 or 3 months. I bought a new pack and cooked some of each. The fresh stuff won hands down.

jestridge
02-28-2009, 04:40 PM
If it cure bacon enough nittrites in it for a couple thousand years

Bigdog
02-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Simple Pimple (ala the Spice Fairy): Fry it up in a pan. The smell will tell ya the story.

House
02-28-2009, 05:40 PM
If you have to ask...toss it...I gave up beer for lent also...bad choice!

Neil
03-01-2009, 08:11 AM
Well the new diet didn't work, but the bacon sure was good:biggrin::biggrin: I was getting ready to toss it when I realized I hadn't checked my most reliable source for such information....MOM! It is true that mother knows best.:biggrin: No waste and no illness.

chinesebob
03-15-2009, 08:14 PM
I'm not nearly as picky (or careful) as most. Curing was the method of meat preservation prior to refrigeration and it was at a low enough temp it should have been ok. Personally, and some of you have seen me do it, if it's good quality bacon with a lot of meat on it, I'll eat it raw. Yum. That being said I will only do that if it's been refrigerated, not frozen and thawed. Because I don't like to freeze my bacon. If I can't eat it before it goes bad (bacon only) then I shouldn't be buying it. my wife sneaks it in on my sometimes though.

BFoster
03-15-2009, 09:33 PM
I'm not nearly as picky (or careful) as most. Curing was the method of meat preservation prior to refrigeration and it was at a low enough temp it should have been ok. Personally, and some of you have seen me do it, if it's good quality bacon with a lot of meat on it, I'll eat it raw. Yum. That being said I will only do that if it's been refrigerated, not frozen and thawed. Because I don't like to freeze my bacon. If I can't eat it before it goes bad (bacon only) then I shouldn't be buying it. my wife sneaks it in on my sometimes though.

I'll agree with Chinese Bob. We're getting a bit pansylike(new word I hope)...in our treatment of food. Hell, I'm just getting on 40 and have noticed that I haven't been 'sick' in 30+ years...where folks I know have the kill'em'all soap in the wall get sick daily.

I will faithfully, and totally agree with food handling practices...but...if I were growing up now.... I'd have never tasted my grandmother's coleslaw. Hell, I was still playing dodgeball.

I live by a couple of rules though(for home cookin')...NO raw food touches other food..NO utensils used for raw food touch other food.(Makes it handy to have a ton 'o tongs)....and...hell...smile.

The last, easiest, comment....wash your damn hands. 'Tis the main offender.

-Foster

BBQchef33
03-15-2009, 09:53 PM
i would have cooked it too.. then the sniff/taste test before chowing down.. .

but the frozen bacon thing?? Cheet, We used to buy bacon in 10 lb boxes freeze it and use it over a few months.. never had it go rancid..

well, not that I could tell anyway.

Norcoredneck
03-15-2009, 10:19 PM
Do you like the Inlaws?

Bigdog
03-16-2009, 05:40 AM
I'll agree with Chinese Bob. We're getting a bit pansylike(new word I hope)...in our treatment of food. Hell, I'm just getting on 40 and have noticed that I haven't been 'sick' in 30+ years...where folks I know have the kill'em'all soap in the wall get sick daily.

I will faithfully, and totally agree with food handling practices...but...if I were growing up now.... I'd have never tasted my grandmother's coleslaw. Hell, I was still playing dodgeball.

I live by a couple of rules though(for home cookin')...NO raw food touches other food..NO utensils used for raw food touch other food.(Makes it handy to have a ton 'o tongs)....and...hell...smile.

The last, easiest, comment....wash your damn hands. 'Tis the main offender.

-Foster

Good words to live by Bro. :icon_cool

chinesebob
03-17-2009, 04:39 AM
i would have cooked it too.. then the sniff/taste test before chowing down.. .

but the frozen bacon thing?? Cheet, We used to buy bacon in 10 lb boxes freeze it and use it over a few months.. never had it go rancid..

well, not that I could tell anyway.

Only part of the reason is the flavor. The other part is waiting for it to thaw out. Hate to wait and I won't use the microwave for bacon. Personal rule against Microwaves.

10lbs would last you a couple of months? I just bought a 15lbs box and I'll be happy to see it last through the month.

Big'un
03-17-2009, 06:45 AM
I'd toss it! The screaming mimi's aren't worth the cost of two pounds of bacon.