PDA

View Full Version : Tri Tip ??????????

cvan
02-25-2009, 07:50 PM
After looking at Jaberwabees' post I found a couple today, mine aren't trimmed up like his they still have a little goodness left on them.
I trimmed them up a little but was wondering what to do with them I was thinking a real thick coating of Montreal steak seasoning.
Do I need to coat with mustard first?
These cuts aren't seen around here much and I have no experince on cooking them. I will be keeping it M.R.
I want a good crusty/bark on them so what do I need to do to get what I want.
I will be cooking on a 22" Weber
THANKS CVAN.

gpalasz
02-25-2009, 07:52 PM
Welcome neighbor...seen many good tri tips on here...try a search..tons of info on this forum. I live in OKC...SAMS has same great tri tips at good prices.

Jaberwabee
02-25-2009, 08:01 PM
If you want a good crust, pat steaks dry, and add rub right before putting on the grill. Get the Weber to red coal hot, and sear for 2-3 minutes per side, then indirect to desired doneness. Thats what I do atleast. If you leave the rub on to long before, the salt pulls moisture out and thats prevents the crust, thats why I say to pat dry. I have 5 more in the freezer and and wondering how long I will wait to fix another.

cvan
02-25-2009, 08:11 PM
Thanks I can geter done now.
Jab I apreciate your tips. They flung a cravin on me.
GP I did a search and I found some good tips (pun intended) on the search.
Tommorow for super bakes and tips mmmm.

House
02-25-2009, 08:19 PM
Good luck :)

gpalasz
02-25-2009, 08:46 PM
Thanks I can geter done now.
Jab I apreciate your tips. They flung a cravin on me.
GP I did a search and I found some good tips (pun intended) on the search.
Tommorow for super bakes and tips mmmm.

good deal...post some pics...we love pron! Posts ar worthless w/out pron,...seeing is believing:mrgreen: lets see some tri-tip!

Moose
02-25-2009, 09:49 PM
Having grown up on tri-tip, here's a few things I can offer:

Tri-tip is not a good low'nslow smoking meat - it is best grilled quickly with a good sear. However, you CAN get a very good smoke flavor on the Weber by placing on the coolest side of the grill with a single side indirect set up. I'd say about 10-15 minutes of smoke. After that, get a good sear on each side for about 3-4 minutes, depending on size of meat, of course. Finish up on indirect.

I always try and get my tri-tips with about a 1/4 fat trim, and look for LOTS of marbling.

Use a simple rub - here in CA where they cook Santa Maria style over oak fires, they just use salt, pepper, garlic powder, and maybe some paprika. Rub just before you throw on the grill. And no need for mustard!

I always serve mine rare or medium rare in the middle. As it's a tapered cut of meat, the end sides being thinner will be more well done for folks that like it that way.

Finally, always slice against the grain! All of that said, I have had MANY tri-tips that far surpassed most NY strips and rib-eyes in both flavor and tenderness. It's pretty much my go to grilling beef. The pic below shows the above cooking method with the crusty bark you mentioned...:razz: