Election of Officers
President
Vice President
Treasurer
Secretary
Committees are appointed by the incoming President

Minutes

Accounting
(January Income Statement & Balance Sheet)
(Budget draft and Assumptions attached)

Contests Past Lakeland, FL
Great Bend, KS
Pass Christian, MS
Requests Sanction Committee Report
Contest Application
Licensed Non-Sanctioned request
Committee Reports
Finance Committee Report Wayne Lohman
Review of 2009 budget.
Nominating Committee No Report

Rules Committee Rod Gray
Approval to correct an error in the 2009 rules.

Education Committee Paul Kirk
New for the Bull Sheet: Education Corner
Endorsement Proposal for Industry-Based Certification of (Basic) Food Science I & (Advanced) Food Science II Pearl River High School Agriscience Department (curriculum attached)

Membership Committee No Report

New Ideas: Merl Whitebook

A motion to allow telephone communication between KCBS Member and the Board at Board meetings.

A motion which would require the Board to approve any anticipated losses for any program, contract or event in advance.

A motion to provide comment cards to Judges for the benefit of Cooks

Technology Committee Don Harwell
Motion to approve the Scripts for the Judge’s, Cook’s and Table Captain Meetings.

A motion to modify the Licensed contests to allow for State proclamations.

A motion to put a recording of the Board meetings on the KSBS web site.

A motion to end the practice of putting cooking classes in the Bullsheet and on the web, without a charge.

Contest Rep Committee Carol Whitebook
A motion concerning the use of ranking in auxiliary categories.

Discussion of the 2009 Rep Manual and requirements of Contest Reps for procedure compliance.

Discussion regarding the posting of the files regarding teams which have disciplinary action on the Rep site.

A motion regarding the time when a presentation box is DQ for appearance.

Research & Development Linda Mullane

A motion to make all rules forms and activities of KCBS conform the calendar year.

Marketing
Discussion of the 2009 Tour Budget

Old/New Business
Discussion concerning Team of the Year Awards
Grant Application-I Love BBQ Jr
Grant Application-Corliss Johnson Foundation
Response to unresolved issue at contest

And any other business that may come before the Board

YankeeBBQ
02-24-2009, 06:56 AM
A motion to end the practice of putting cooking classes in the Bullsheet and on the web, without a charge.

Our mission is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbeque as a culinary technique, sport and art form. We want barbeque to be recognized as America's Cuisine.

I guess they need to add at the end...AND WE WANT TO GET PAID FOR IT !

ThomEmery
02-24-2009, 07:55 AM

This is a huge deal for new contests

Sledneck
02-24-2009, 07:58 AM

This is a huge deal for new contestsCan you expand on that?

lunchlady
02-24-2009, 07:04 PM
My understanding is that right now new (inaugural) contests can buy a one-time license, but they cannot be a State Championship. Looks like theyre moving to change that, which would draw more teams to those contests.

I'm wondering about the resurrection of the comment cards... IMO a great idea in the case of really low, really high, or out-of-whack scores...

Ford
02-24-2009, 08:15 PM

This is a huge deal for new contests
I totally agree. It means that it can be a qualifier and get licenced without the cost of full sanctioning and as a first year contest they only need 15 teams so they can limit applications. A lot more teams would be interested in attending. Without allowing the State Proc it's actually a drawback to be licensed as it can't be a qualifier.

Hope that answers the other post asking Thom what it means.

ThomEmery
02-24-2009, 08:49 PM
Yep Ford Thats the deal
A new 1st year contest can hope see a much better turn out with a Royal invite and a Jack draw for its winner
You know Scottie will be there at every one of these

Scottie
02-25-2009, 08:23 AM
Only if I don't have that state checked off my list...

Jorge
02-25-2009, 08:42 AM

Our mission is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbeque as a culinary technique, sport and art form. We want barbeque to be recognized as America's Cuisine.

I guess they need to add at the end...AND WE WANT TO GET PAID FOR IT !

Bingo!

I've heard a lot about the benefits that I can expect to be coming as a KCBS member. My $35 per year isn't going to break me, but those benefits and discounts that I understood to be coming still haven't shown up. If someone has the credentials, is a member, and is willing to teach a class then, in my opinion, they should get a free listing. As pointed out above they are carrying out the mission statement of the organization. At the end of the day you can bank on the fact that they aren't getting rich off of those classes when you start adding up their expenses.

arlieque
02-25-2009, 04:10 PM
Bingo!

I've heard a lot about the benefits that I can expect to be coming as a KCBS member. My $35 per year isn't going to break me, but those benefits and discounts that I understood to be coming still haven't shown up. If someone has the credentials, is a member, and is willing to teach a class then, in my opinion, they should get a free listing. As pointed out above they are carrying out the mission statement of the organization. At the end of the day you can bank on the fact that they aren't getting rich off of those classes when you start adding up their expenses.

Free listing is great if you are teaching a free class but charging $500.00 a person x 20 people is not a free class and they should have to pay for an ad just like contests do. That is my understanding of what the issue is.

ThomEmery
02-25-2009, 06:12 PM
At $500 a pop each student
paying a little for a ad wont kill the BBQ Class Biz

Jorge
02-25-2009, 06:20 PM
Free listing is great if you are teaching a free class but charging $500.00 a person x 20 people is not a free class and they should have to pay for an ad just like contests do. That is my understanding of what the issue is.

Fair point.

KC_Bobby
02-25-2009, 10:57 PM
Any word who the new officers are?

Sledneck
02-26-2009, 12:34 PM
My understanding is that right now new (inaugural) contests can buy a one-time license, but they cannot be a State Championship. Looks like theyre moving to change that, which would draw more teams to those contests.

I'm wondering about the resurrection of the comment cards... IMO a great idea in the case of really low, really high, or out-of-whack scores...

I totally agree. It means that it can be a qualifier and get licenced without the cost of full sanctioning and as a first year contest they only need 15 teams so they can limit applications. A lot more teams would be interested in attending. Without allowing the State Proc it's actually a drawback to be licensed as it can't be a qualifier.

Hope that answers the other post asking Thom what it means.

Yep Ford Thats the deal
A new 1st year contest can hope see a much better turn out with a Royal invite and a Jack draw for its winner
You know Scottie will be there at every one of theseSo then what good would paying the licensing fee do for a contest? If a non-sanctioned event has a governors proclamation and 15 teams they are a qualifier without paying for a licensing fee.

arlieque
02-26-2009, 12:43 PM
So then what good would paying the licensing fee do for a contest? If a non-sanctioned event has a governors proclamation and 15 teams they are a qualifier without paying for a licensing fee.

NOthing to worry about, it didnt pass!

Sledneck
02-26-2009, 12:50 PM
Merl is slacking with his report

Merl
02-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Quick notes were sent to Carolyn and Mike at 7:00 a.m. I do not understand the delay. Will send it again to the office.
Merl

Merl
02-26-2009, 01:58 PM
The 2009 KCBS officers are:
Mike Lake, President
Wayne Lohman, VP
Rod Gray, Treasurer
Merl Whitebook, Secretary

Sledneck
02-26-2009, 02:00 PM
Quick notes were sent to Carolyn and Mike at 7:00 a.m. I do not understand the delay. Will send it again to the office.
Merl
Just breaking yer chops Merl

Scottie
02-26-2009, 02:16 PM
Congrats to all of our new Officers.

Merl
02-26-2009, 03:18 PM
Just breaking yer chops Merl

You know we just don't do many things quickly in the mid west. I guess that is why so many great teams are from Oklahoma. But the quick notes have now been posted on the KCBS website.

LOL
Merl

Smokin' Joe
02-26-2009, 03:46 PM
The board discussed a motion that the MP3 recording of the open portions of all board meetings (Annual, Regular and Call) be place on our WEB under the members only section. \

Rod Gray, no
Gene Goycochea, yes
Don Harwell, yes
Paul Kirk, no
Wayne Lohman, no
Linda Mullane, no
Steve Ownby, no
Ed Roith, no
Tana Shupe, no
Carol Whitebook yes
Merl Whitebook yes
The motion fails by a vote of 4 yes, 7 no, 0 abstentions

What are they so afraid of? I just don't get it, what is the downside of this?

Sledneck
02-26-2009, 03:49 PM
From the kcbs website http://kcbs.us/news.php?id=126

Quick Notes from the Board 02/25/2009

February 26, 2009

Quick Notes from the Board Room
Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Election of Officers: the following were elected as officers to serve a one year term for 2009.
Mike Lake, President
Wayne Lohman, Vice President
Rod Gray, Treasurer

The Finance Committee proposed a budget which was approved by the Board.

The Education committee is looking for new recipes by KCBS to be used for a KCBS publication.

The Board considered a motion which would allow members to speak at the beginning of the meetings on any issue or any agenda item, though the KCBS conference call system and to place a recording of the KCBS meeting on the website which could be accessed by members.
Vote:
Rod Gray, no
Gene Goycochea, yes
Don Harwell, yes
Paul Kirk, no
Wayne Lohman, no
Linda Mullane, no
Steve Ownby, no
Ed Roith, no
Tana Shupe, no
Carol Whitebook yes
Merl Whitebook yes
The motion failed 4 yes, 7 no, 0 abstentions

The Board considered a motion which would require KCBS to not enter into or conduct a program, contract or venture of KCBS in the future, which is not calculated to be economically sound and projected to at least break even without the Board first appropriating and approving the amount of estimated economic loss to KCBS. At no time may KCBS expend an amount greater than the economic loss which was approved by the Board.

Rod Gray, no
Gene Goycochea, yes
Don Harwell, yes
Paul Kirk, no
Wayne Lohman, no
Linda Mullane, yes
Steve Ownby, no
Ed Roith, no
Tana Shupe, no
Carol Whitebook yes
Merl Whitebook yes
Vote 5 Yes, 6 no 0 abstentions, the motion failed.

The Board approved the voluntary use of Comment Cards by CBJ’s and other judges to provide comments for Cooks

Rod Gray, no
Gene Goycochea, yes
Don Harwell, yes
Paul Kirk, yes
Wayne Lohman, no
Linda Mullane, yes
Steve Ownby, yes
Ed Roith, yes
Tana Shupe, yes
Carol Whitebook yes
Merl Whitebook yes
The motion for the voluntary use of comment cards passes Vote: 9 yes 2 no 0 abstentions

The Board considered a motion to modify the “Licensed Contests” agreement to allow State Proclamations.

Rod Gray, no
Gene Goycochea yes,
Don Harwell, yes
Paul Kirk, no
Wayne Lohman, no
Linda Mullane, no
Steve Ownby, no
Ed Roith, no
Tana Shupe, yes
Carol Whitebook yes
Merl Whitebook no
The motion failed with a vote of 4 yes, 7 no, 0 abstentions

The board discussed a motion that the MP3 recording of the open portions of all board meetings (Annual, Regular and Call) be place on our WEB under the members only section. \

Rod Gray, no
Gene Goycochea, yes
Don Harwell, yes
Paul Kirk, no
Wayne Lohman, no
Linda Mullane, no
Steve Ownby, no
Ed Roith, no
Tana Shupe, no
Carol Whitebook yes
Merl Whitebook yes
The motion fails by a vote of 4 yes, 7 no, 0 abstentions

A motion was approved for KCBS end the practice of putting cooking classes in the Bullsheet and on the web, without a charge, to be effective April 1, 2009.

Rod Gray, abstain
Gene Goycochea, yes
Don Harwell, yes
Paul Kirk, abstain
Wayne Lohman, no
Linda Mullane, yes
Steve Ownby, no
Ed Roith, no
Tana Shupe, no
Carol Whitebook yes
Merl Whitebook yes
5 yes, 4 no 2 abstentions, the motion passes.

A motion was made to remove Ranking as a method of scoring for ancillary contest.

Rod Gray, abstain
Gene Goycochea, yes
Don Harwell, Did not vote
Paul Kirk, yes
Wayne Lohman, yes
Linda Mullane, yes
Steve Ownby, no
Ed Roith, yes
Tana Shupe, no
Carol Whitebook yes
Merl Whitebook yes
Vote 7 yes, 2 no, 1 Abstention and one member was absent from the vote. The motion to discontinue the use of Ranking to score ancillary contests, passes.

A motion was made to make all rules, forms and programs effective January 1, of each year beginning in 2010.

Rod Gray, no
Gene Goycochea, yes
Don Harwell, yes
Paul Kirk, no
Wayne Lohman, no
Linda Mullane, yes
Steve Ownby, no
Ed Roith, no
Tana Shupe, no
Carol Whitebook yes
Merl Whitebook yes
Vote 5 yes, 6 no, 0 abstentions, the motion to implement all rules forms and programs on a calendar year basis, fails

*. These are not the official minutes of the meeting. They are simply provided as an effort to give members a quick summary of the board meeting.

drbbq
02-26-2009, 04:43 PM
Nice to see Wayne rewarded for all his hard work.

Is it me or does the board seem divided?

ThomEmery
02-26-2009, 04:46 PM
I understand it was a a light hearted romp of a meeting :)

Vegas date change was not approved

Scottie
02-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Divided.... That's a good term for it....

Spydermike72
02-28-2009, 03:14 PM
Hmmm I wonder why they do not want the meetings made public ?

LindaM
03-01-2009, 05:45 AM
Some possible ramification of tapes made public were presented. I agree members should have the right to call into the meeting. We are working on a resolution to allow this.

Spydermike72
03-01-2009, 06:03 AM
Some possible ramification of tapes made public were presented. I agree members should have the right to call into the meeting. We are working on a resolution to allow this.

Hi Linda, can you share what those possible ramifications are ??

Thanks!!

LindaM
03-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Possiblly used in a court case against KCBS

Merl
03-02-2009, 07:25 PM
In the past the motions were voted down because a member could listen in and post something which was not correct or even before a vote.

This year when we suggested a recording and not live, it was voted down because it would be poor to have a recording.

I asked how the BOD proposed to end the discriminatory practice of allowing in person attendance only.

Suggestions from the BoD was:
Fly to the meeting
Read the minutes.

I have no comment.
Merl