PDA

View Full Version : Why does poultry come out rubbery?

rcubed3r
02-17-2009, 05:02 PM
When I first started smoking food, I made a couple of rubbery chickens. I haven't done that in quite a while, and honestly don't know why they came out like that. I am really happy with the chickens I turn out now.

I just pulled a couple of turkey wings off the smoker. I cooked them for a little over an hour at 325. They were beautiful. Golden brown, with clear juices and no redness a all. I actually thought about taking pics to show you guys, they looked perfect. There were juices flowing threw them, I really don't believe that I over or under-cooked them....

They were so tough I threw them out!! Rubbery is an understatement!
Good thing I am a bachelor on Tuesday nights!!

What would normally causes this? Could the meat just have been in the store for too long? Maybe the store froze them and thawed them numerous times. I froze them when I bought them, and let them thaw in the fridge for a couple of days....

Any ideas or help is GREATLY appreciated!

Ron

jestridge
02-17-2009, 05:12 PM
Could have been a bad turkey

Rick's Tropical Delight
02-17-2009, 05:40 PM
what is rubbery? the skin? the meat? the bones? everything?

if it's the skin, it ain't done yet.

bigabyte
02-17-2009, 06:00 PM
Simple. Stop cooking these!:biggrin:
http://www.sillyjokes.co.uk/images/p-jokes/fav/rubber-chicken.jpg

OK, seriously though, do you mean the meat is rubbery, or the skin?

Phesant
02-17-2009, 06:19 PM
Try doing your legs, thighs, wings at a lower temp..... 275 the hieghts and for at least 2 to 3 hrs..... (I do 6 and spray with AJ) need to break down the meat a little..... just my .02

Brian in So Cal
02-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Cause I made it.:mrgreen:

jgh1204
02-17-2009, 06:37 PM
I did some chicken legs about 2 months ago and they came out rubbery. The bones were huge so I am thinking old chickens.

rcubed3r
02-17-2009, 07:23 PM
The skin was rubbery, the meat was RUBBERY!
Kinda like a tennis ball without the fuzz. :D

The skin was definitely cooked. No way it coulda been that color, and not been cooked.

The more I think about it, those wings were HUGE! Maybe they were shot up like A-Rod when they were puppies.?.

Ron

N8man
02-17-2009, 07:32 PM
This is just me, But i have Found that Cooking At A Lower Temp Makes Poultry More Rubbery, Try Cooking At A Higher Temp, Like 350*-375*...You Would Be Surprised at the Difference it Makes.....:biggrin:

Midnight Smoke
02-17-2009, 07:34 PM
Little off topic, but years ago someone gave me some chickens. Was going to boil it for chicken and noodles. Cooked 45 minutes still not done (I thought) cooked another 30 minutes same thing. Cooked longer and finally gave up. Turns out they were roosters, old ones. They thought it was funny. Could have drove a nail with them. As mentioned above, maybe old chicken that just got tough.

BigAl
02-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Little off topic, but years ago someone gave me some chickens. Was going to boil it for chicken and noodles. Cooked 45 minutes still not done (I thought) cooked another 30 minutes same thing. Cooked longer and finally gave up. Turns out they were roosters, old ones. They thought it was funny. Could have drove a nail with them. As mentioned above, maybe old chicken that just got tough.

Hum, sounds like my Kitchenbitchamatic who just moved out:!::lol::lol::lol:

Moose
02-17-2009, 08:05 PM
I agree with the other comments - it may have been an older bird, and higher temps will help you get crispier skin. When I smoke or grill chickens, I always use young small chickens as the meat is more sweet and tender. The same would apply to turkey.

SoEzzy
02-18-2009, 12:47 AM
I cut drums and thighs from Walmart Chicken leg quarters, rub them with a little EVOO then rub them and cook them 275 - 300 for about 2 - 2 1/4 hours, they come out cooked all the way through, with a bite through skin from the UDS, I cook thighs on the bottom rack and drums on the top.

As the others have said older birds make for chewier to impossible to chew meat.

tony76248
02-18-2009, 07:13 AM
Always stick with young birds. That said, most birds in the meat case are young.

barbefunkoramaque
02-18-2009, 11:06 AM
Popdaddy Likes his Birds like he likes his women. Young and Smokin Hot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBwr3jlfCGg

Divemaster
02-18-2009, 11:32 AM
cook them 275 - 300 for about 2 - 2 1/4 hours, they come out cooked all the way through, with a bite through skin from the UDS,

I agree with the lower temps... I do my chicken thighs at 275* for about 2 1/2 hours... Skin is crisp and the meat is juicy and tender...

As the others have said older birds make for chewier to impossible to chew meat.

I always look for smaller birds... in fact, if they don't have any I like I go with Cornish Game Hens....