PDA

View Full Version : Pit Temperature Variation Question

RibsIsRibs
02-14-2009, 09:36 AM
I recently acquired a Kamodo Dragon ceramic grill (similar to a BGE) and a Rock's Stoker (yeah, I'm movin' on up!). Got it fired up this morning with a brisket and a small pork shoulder.

My question: The Stoker shows a pit temp of 180*, while the Kamodo-supplied temp guage shows 220*. The Stoker pit temp probe is attached as near the center of the grill as possible, right between the two hunks o' meat without touching either one.

I know some grill temp guages can be quite inaccurate, but I still can't believe there is such a disparity between my two readings.

Any wise advice?

keend
02-14-2009, 09:47 AM
A 10-20 degree difference in dome temp and grate temp is normal. If the probe is between two cold pieces of meat, I could see the 40 degree difference being accurate. Give it some time and see if the difference decreases as the meat comes to temp. Also check both your thermometers accuracy using boiling water.

Where are the pics?

RibsIsRibs
02-14-2009, 09:51 AM
More info and perhaps answering my own question...

I set up to cook over indirect heat. I have a drip pan that covers most of the coal bed, so the heat is rising along the sides.

Could it be that since the heat is rising along the sides the temps actually are substantially hotter at the top than in the middle of the grill?

And, if so, which temp is more important as my reference for desired grill temp - middle of the grill or top of the grill? The obvious answer is the middle o' the grill temp - right?

I need affirmation! :icon_blush:

And if the meat comes out pron-worthy, I'll get some pics.

RibsIsRibs
02-14-2009, 09:56 AM
A 10-20 degree difference in dome temp and grate temp is normal. If the probe is between two cold pieces of meat, I could see the 40 degree difference being accurate. Give it some time and see if the difference decreases as the meat comes to temp.

That is begining to happen. It's taken three hours, but the temps are moving closer.

It's making sense now.

Midnight Smoke
02-14-2009, 10:03 AM
which temp is more important as my reference for desired grill temp - middle of the grill or top of the grill? The obvious answer is the middle o' the grill temp - right?

I need affirmation! :icon_blush:

And if the meat comes out pron-worthy, I'll get some pics.

If the probe is accurate at the Grate, I would go by that one as that is where the food is.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
02-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Did you happen to check the accuracy of the dome therm?

RibsIsRibs
02-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Did you happen to check the accuracy of the dome therm?

Nope. I'll do that fer sure tomorrow.

Professor Salt
02-14-2009, 11:55 AM
Give it time. I have a Komodo Kamado too. It takes a few hours before the ceramic is heat-soaked, and then the two thermometers should even out.

Also, once the ceramic is heat soaked, you might notice a small spike up in temp reading.

House
02-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Ditto what everyone else has said. It takes several hours on my BGE before the stemps start to come together - but they still will be about 5-10 degrees different.

RibsIsRibs
02-14-2009, 01:06 PM
The temps have merged nicely. The Stoker is working as advertised, even though I don't have it hooked up to my computer (I'll do that next time). I made sure the stoker temp probes were accurate last night by taking my own temperature (98.6*). No, not there - under my tongue! :icon_shock1:

Now, if the meat turns out as I hope, then all will have come full circle into the realm of "hell yeah!"

BigAl
02-14-2009, 01:15 PM
The temps have merged nicely. The Stoker is working as advertised, even though I don't have it hooked up to my computer (I'll do that next time). I made sure the stoker temp probes were accurate last night by taking my own temperature (98.6*). No, not there - under my tongue! :icon_shock1:

Now, if the meat turns out as I hope, then all will have come full circle into the realm of "hell yeah!"

Temp taken without those teeth, I hope! :mrgreen::smile: