PDA

View Full Version : Pizza on my Weber Kettle - PRON

hav
02-08-2009, 02:46 PM
Been dying to try this for some time (because of Rick's Tropical Delight of course!).
Yesterday temps hit just about 50° here, I got home from work and asked my 4 year old if she wanted to help. Do you know, she said yes! Cool.

Crust is basic Pillsbury Pizza crust drizzled with Olive Oil, sprinkled on some Mozzarella, Fire Roasted Tomatos and Garlic (from a can), Pepperoni, Sliced Mushrooms, Roasted Red Peppers.

For seasoning I used Basil, Garlic, Oregano and I placed some Sesame seeds along the crust, because I like Sesame seeds.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff72/bbq-brethren/DSC06311.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff72/bbq-brethren/DSC06314.jpg

Fired up the Weber OTG with KF and one chunk of Cherry. I had to wait to get the temps down a bit, I guess I used too much coal.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff72/bbq-brethren/DSC06316.jpg

After about 20 minutes or so...

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff72/bbq-brethren/DSC06322.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff72/bbq-brethren/DSC06326.jpg

Not bad for my first attempt, smoke flavor was not as strong as I expected it to be. My daughter and wife liked it too, so all is well!

Brian in Maine
02-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Good looking pizza! Did you cook with the coals under the pizza, or indirect?

Markbb
02-08-2009, 02:57 PM
That pizza looks good....

ewile
02-08-2009, 03:01 PM
like the others I'd like more details. I'd like to try this. You used a pizza stone correct?

hav
02-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Good looking pizza! Did you cook with the coals under the pizza, or indirect?

Direct, under the pizza single layer.

like the others I'd like more details. I'd like to try this. You used a pizza stone correct?

I used an aluminum pizza pan, too cheap to by a stone one I guess. It worked out well, the dough was crisp, but not burned. I guess with a stone, it would be a more even heat. Perhaps I'll buy one, one day.

For now, I was pretty happy with it.

SaucyWench
02-08-2009, 03:20 PM
We're minutes from a brisket dinner, and now I want pizza.

bigabyte
02-08-2009, 03:26 PM
Looks real farking good!:cool:

LMAJ
02-08-2009, 03:28 PM
you are now ruined for pizza from anywhere else. you have to live with that. Great looking pie. I'm getting ready to go fire up the egg now for pizza.

aquablue22
02-08-2009, 03:35 PM
Nice looking pie, makes me want one..I've got to try that, I have a stone that I use in the oven that will fit perfect on my Weber.......

Rick's Tropical Delight
02-08-2009, 03:37 PM
i can't believe all you guys are blaming me because you crave real, wood fired pizza taste. :biggrin:

once you have it, you will not go back.

bigabyte
02-08-2009, 03:39 PM
i can't believe all you guys are blaming me because you crave real, wood fired pizza taste. :biggrin:

once you have it, you will not go back.
To be honest, I never considered it before you started posting pics over a year ago. It's your fault.:biggrin: Own up to it!:twisted:

SpammyQ
02-08-2009, 04:39 PM
Yeah Rick, you know you are the main reason I dream of "wood" fired pizza that is....

Back on track, Hav that pizza looks terrific. You have to love the flavor cooking a pizza over coals gives it. Break down and get a stone, you won't be sorry, it will open up a whole new world for you.

cmcadams
02-08-2009, 04:43 PM
My favorite way of doing pizzas is to grill the crust over med high heat, then smoke the whole pizza... I may have to try doing it again, using my weber kettle and bge.

mbshop
02-08-2009, 05:29 PM
i'm really wanting to do that on my weber. all i've done is premade directly on the grates.

1_T_Scot
02-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Good looking Pizza

cheez59
02-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Nice looking pizza brother. If you think it was good on the aluminum pan wait until you try one on a stone. Big difference. I too was too cheap to buy a stone. My daughter bought one for me the year before last. Now I just use the aluminum pizza pan for nachos. :wink:

CajunSmoker
02-08-2009, 05:52 PM
Great looking Pizza and a really cute helper:-D

Rick's Tropical Delight
02-08-2009, 06:05 PM
Yeah Rick, you know you are the main reason I dream of "wood" fired pizza that is....

Back on track, Hav that pizza looks terrific. You have to love the flavor cooking a pizza over coals gives it. Break down and get a stone, you won't be sorry, it will open up a whole new world for you.

sorry, man

Cameron
02-08-2009, 06:13 PM
Good looking Pizza

That does look great. As an aside to this entire thread - In Italy they fire pizzas at 750 degrees and cook very quickly and achieve some very good flavor this way.

Against The Grain
02-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Someone a while back did pizza on bricks no need for a stone.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
02-08-2009, 07:03 PM
Pizza looks very good. Nice job.

As far as smoke taste, i never put any wood chunks in. I just use lump charcoal for a very light smoke taste. Puts the right amount of smoke in there for me.

WineMaster
02-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Wont pizza stones crack with the heat from a kettle?
I Use the tan bricks you get at the Fireplace store. If they crack its only 1 to replace. Just sprinkle them with a little corn meal before the pizza goes down.

Dan

Mad Max
02-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Great looking pizza HAV. Did you make your own dough? Do you delivery?

Smokinrubcom
02-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Nice job!!!
Mike

BobBrisket
02-09-2009, 11:16 AM
Your assistant is a bonafide Cutie!! The pie looks fantastic. I don't use a stone, but you can even use clay floor tile that is unglazed. Once you get the fire just right, you can toss the dough right on the grates. It cooks real quick like this so you need to keep an eye on it. Once the bottom is cooked, you turn it over onto a cutting board and then put the toppings on the cooked side and then back onto the grate to cook the other side with the lid on to melt the toppings. I mostly use the gasser but I have done quite a few over live coals. Pizza will never be the same.

Beerwolf
02-09-2009, 11:19 AM
Ive been wondering about an alternate source for a Pizza Stone... how bout scraps from a Kitchen remodel? Anyone know a place that makes headstones? Large Patio pavers? I see the major expense in these things as shipping.. they aint all that complicated. any other ideas?

I did see the post usign 1/8" tile, but I dont see that as a long term solution. abeit a cheap one

Big George's BBQ
02-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Very nice Your daughter looked like she had a great time. That was the best part of it

garyk1398
02-09-2009, 11:41 AM
Nice job on the pie, thanks to you and Rick....its on my to-do list! :)

Sledneck
02-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Sesame seed crust is the best

BobBrisket
02-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Ive been wondering about an alternate source for a Pizza Stone... how bout scraps from a Kitchen remodel? Anyone know a place that makes headstones? Large Patio pavers? I see the major expense in these things as shipping.. they aint all that complicated. any other ideas?

I did see the post usign 1/8" tile, but I dont see that as a long term solution. abeit a cheap one

We have a pizza stone that we use in the oven. The wife won't let me use it in the grills.................:roll: On another board one of the guys mentioned he used one of these as his pizza stone.
http://www.mexicantiles.com/square-mexican-saltillo-floor-tile.html
Much thicker than the regular tile and also unglazed.
Honestly, though, you don't need a stone. The dough holds up really nice just tossed on the hot grates. As soon as it hits the grates it begins to cook and harden. A good, wide spatula is the best tool to flip and check the underside. This Friday I'll have the outlaws over for pizza night to celebrate the SIL's B-day. All I use it the gasser and grates. Works nice.

Wal Mart also sells disposable pizza pans that work pretty good too.

Dale P
02-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Pizza looks good and the helper is a little doll!

I know for a fact that Pampered Chef pizza stones will crack in half on a kettle. Been there.

Que-Dawg
02-09-2009, 04:50 PM
that sure is a cute lil' helper you have,,, and the pizza looks great

hav
02-09-2009, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the comments folks, and yes Rick, it's all your fault. :roll:

Pizza Stone....I guess perhaps I will look into one, or maybe few bricks? For now, to tide me over.

I'm planning on throwing another one on within the next two days. Gonna' try it with some lump this time.

Hmmm, toppings...?

Mad Max
02-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the comments folks, and yes Rick, it's all your fault. :roll:

Pizza Stone....I guess perhaps I will look into one, or maybe few bricks? For now, to tide me over.

I'm planning on throwing another one on within the next two days. Gonna' try it with some lump this time.

Hmmm, toppings...?

Might I suggest pulled pork and extra cheese.

hav
02-09-2009, 08:41 PM
Might I suggest pulled pork and extra cheese.

Funny you should mention that...I think a Butt is in my near future.

zydecopaws
02-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Very cool. I'm gonna have to try this as soon as I can sneak my wife's pizza stone out of the kitchen.

moocow
02-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Pizza Hut needs to invest in some of those!

Big George's BBQ
02-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Pizza Hut needs to invest in more than that