PDA

View Full Version : Quick Canadian bacon question

Kirk
01-25-2009, 11:15 AM
I have some pork loin cured and ready to go in the cooker this afternoon. What's the consensus as to the internal temp, 140? Since this stuff has practically no fat, I don't want to dry it out.
TIA

CajunSmoker
01-25-2009, 11:33 AM
I did some a while back from the Dizzy Pig website that came out real good. Here's the link and what they had to say.

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesBacon.html

"The target internal temperature of the cook will be determined largely by your finished intention for the pork loins. If you are looking for a breakfast bacon to be fried before eating, then an internal of 140-145°F will be ideal. For a finished fully-cooked product, keep cooking to internal of 155-160°F."

Norcoredneck
01-25-2009, 11:42 AM
Agree on the 140 for reheat/frying. Slice it thin, Mmmmmmm.

I glazed mine with Maple syrup.

EatonHoggBBQ
01-25-2009, 11:49 AM
I did some a while back from the Dizzy Pig website that came out real good. Here's the link and what they had to say.

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesBacon.html

"The target internal temperature of the cook will be determined largely by your finished intention for the pork loins. If you are looking for a breakfast bacon to be fried before eating, then an internal of 140-145°F will be ideal. For a finished fully-cooked product, keep cooking to internal of 155-160°F."

I did that recipe last summer and yes it comes out great. I did the five day brine, and as you posted, pulled half at the prescribed temp for bacon and the other half at the ham temp. No problem with drying out. As a matter of fact I just took out my last piece of ham yesterday for breakfast this morning. :wink:

Kirk
01-25-2009, 02:03 PM
Outstanding. Thanks guys.

CajunSmoker
01-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Don't forget to give us a little pron brother:-P

Kirk
01-25-2009, 08:38 PM
Well the bacon's off the grate and cooling off. Man am I out of practice (haven't q'ed anything in like 4 months :roll:). Temp in my WSM was up, down, up, down. It's cold so I used a clay pot base sitting in the pan rather than water so I'm sure that had some thing to do with it.

I threw some chicken & apple sausage and some kielbasa on the second grate just to make it worthwhile. I'll see if I can get some pron up here but Jeez it took me this long to get the cooker going, who knows if I can get my chit together enough to take pics? :oops: