PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy wood chips in NC

gocubs85
01-23-2009, 04:55 PM
Are there brick and morter stores around to get apple, cherry and pecan wood chips? Seems like online stores will charge an arm and leg for shipping

I live near Greensboro and Raleigh areas

Dsorgnzd
01-23-2009, 04:57 PM
Have you tried the Gander Mountain store in Greensboro? I believe they have some kind of wood chips/chunks back in the corner where the other outdoor cooking stuff is located.

N8man
01-23-2009, 05:27 PM
I get my Hickory and Mesquite from Lowes Hardware. I use Pecan Shells
for Variety and have been fortunate to be around when Family Prune their Fruit Trees. I don't know of any Local Stores that carry Apple or Cherry Chunks but that's not to say there aren't any.
Good Luck in your Search and if you do find any, please post the location.
Have you been to the CattleCall yet to introduce yourself?

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
01-23-2009, 05:33 PM
I have bought some from ebay in the past..shipping is a killer!

porksoda
01-23-2009, 11:07 PM
Try Ace Hardware. The one by me has a fair selection of wood chips, but only have mesquite and hickory in the chunk form.

RixCue
01-24-2009, 12:01 AM
Mebane NC ............????

Where the heck is Mebane NC!

What are you cooking on and how much wood are you looking to get. I find wood offers from time to time . I did some tree work last year in Greensboro and got some good cherry. My stash of NC Mountain slow grown apple is low,,,

Rick

jestridge
01-24-2009, 10:41 AM
Wood should be easy to find in Nc. Try an get free wood

Rowdycue
01-25-2009, 10:08 AM
Most stores that sell charcoal in my area also carry wood chips. Hardware stores, Wal- Mart, grocery stores. It doesn't sound like you live in a city so getting wood free should be easy. Check where the power company has trimmed trees alond the highway.

RixCue
01-28-2009, 11:12 PM
Hey neighbor , you may be able to find some BBQ Delight pellets at Walmart . I can remember finding apple at the Burlington location .

Rick

Pyle's BBQ
01-29-2009, 01:44 AM
If there is a Home Depot or Lowe's close check there.

Wormito
03-30-2009, 09:40 AM
Any updates on where to find apple in NC? I live in Charlotte/Harrisburg area and I have found a tree service that sells me Hickory and Oak (pretty cheap) but they don't have Apple.

Saiko
03-30-2009, 10:12 AM
Are there brick and morter stores around to get apple, cherry and pecan wood chips? Seems like online stores will charge an arm and leg for shipping
I live near Greensboro and Raleigh areas

Any updates on where to find apple in NC? I live in Charlotte/Harrisburg area and I have found a tree service that sells me Hickory and Oak (pretty cheap) but they don't have Apple.

Check this thread. They also sell chips:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58953