PDA

View Full Version : Competition Entry

Astralman
01-21-2009, 11:04 AM
I would like to compete in BBQ competitions. Someone told me that in order to compete, you must be registered with a national competition BBQ organization. Is that true and if so where would I go to sign up? Are there rules regarding grills and smokers when entering competitions?

:?:

nthole
01-21-2009, 11:09 AM
Different competitions can vary, but I don't think you HAVE to be registered.

Most competitions in the midwest are KCBS. You can find all the rules for KCBS here: http://www.kcbs.us/downloads.php.

Additionally they have a nice calendar where you can find events that might be near you.

timzcardz
01-21-2009, 11:10 AM
Not required to join an organization.

Rules vary depending on sanctioning organization.

KCBS (Kansas City Barbeque Society) rules are available here http://www.kcbs.us/ under "Downloads."

Rolling Smoke
01-21-2009, 11:44 AM
You're in the right place. I'm not just talking about the right internet site but also geographically. There are two contests within spitting distance of your house this year and another in Sharonville. PM me if you want more info and we'll talk.

Divemaster
01-21-2009, 01:01 PM
Man, I hope not....

I know that this is only my second year, but the only thing I've done was join KCBS (and actually it was before I started the team)... I did post to their site with our team info but I don't think it was any 'Formal Registration'...

U2CANQUE
01-21-2009, 02:59 PM
:twisted:PM me if you want more info and we'll talk.

Hmmm, Betting that I know where else he is going to refer him....to a great site, that happens to have their 2009 registration forms attached now....

Smoky River BBQ
01-21-2009, 07:01 PM
:twisted:

Hmmm, Betting that I know where else he is going to refer him....to a great site, that happens to have their 2009 registration forms attached now....

Don't think I'll take you up on that bet...hehe. Can't blame him, though. It is a nice comp. Be a good way to break in someone new, before they get to see the "dark side" of comps :eek:

U2CANQUE
01-22-2009, 06:46 AM
Oh, will not miss his contest this summer, that is for sure......

cmcadams
01-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Heck, you're not 5 miles from my house....

Jim's comp is really nice, and I'm looking forward to it this year. I hope he's pre-ordered more great weather. I'm anxious to see how the Trotwood comp goes, too. And Jim Dandy is Cincy is in September. So you have a great opportunity and don't have to do anything but pay your fee and show up!

Astralman
01-22-2009, 04:41 PM
I want to thank all of you for responding. I'll have more questions involving bbq. Actually, this is my first bbq activity. I've been grilling for a few years but never thought about perfecting the art until now. I found this site and I got a feeling that I know everyone here is willing to help with their expert tips.

bigabyte
01-22-2009, 04:58 PM
KCBS sanctioned comps allow non-KCBS folks to compete. There was a discussion about bumping up entry fees, but from what i ahve heard no comps have actually bumped entry fees for non-members.

Considering what expenses the sanctioning bodies go through to provide a comp (that comp may not be there without them), it is worthwhile to become a member IMHO.

Mike - CSBBBQ
01-22-2009, 05:13 PM
Dive right in the water is fine:-D You were fortunate to find this site so early. Wish I would have found a few years ago! Some of the best folks around and tons of great info:-D:-D