PDA

View Full Version : Garbanzo Bean Question

JimDandysNYDan
01-21-2009, 08:43 AM
Hey Everyone, I recently came upon fresh garbanzo beans still in the pod. I figured I would give them a try since I have used them in a can and dry ones as well before to make a soup. I cooked these BEYOTCHES for five hours and they were still on the greenish side an still a bit hard. I had them simmering pretty high for an hour or two and then down to a low simmer. How long do these bastiges have to cook for???? Has anyone used the fresh ones before and can offer me some advice?

Thanks, Dan

Desert Dweller
01-21-2009, 08:48 AM
offer me some advice?

Thanks, Dan

Toss 'em and get a can...:-D

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
01-21-2009, 08:51 AM
It is my impression that most people like garbanzo beans a bit nutty or firm. A lot of people steam them or boil them for only a few minutes. Some prefer them raw.

I have never seen any fresh ones, let along tried to cook any.

Fresh ones are popular in California I believe, so maybe some of our California Brethren will chime in.

JimDandysNYDan
01-21-2009, 08:56 AM
Toss 'em and get a can...:-D

You crack me up Bo....:lol:....I love reading your responses.

JimDandysNYDan
01-21-2009, 08:59 AM
It is my impression that most people like garbanzo beans a bit nutty or firm. A lot of people steam them or boil them for only a few minutes. Some prefer them raw.

I have never seen any fresh ones, let along tried to cook any.

Fresh ones are popular in California I believe, so maybe some of our California Brethren will chime in.

I understand what you mean by some people liking liking them firmer :shock:, But these were pretty soft but had that raw undertone to them. They weren't as dense as the dry or canned ones....If that makes any sense.:-?

bigabyte
01-21-2009, 10:45 AM
I've never made them fresh. I'm surprised they are taking that long. Maybe they weren't ripe?