PDA

View Full Version : BKSD issue getting up to temp

senorpedro
01-19-2009, 01:05 PM
Hola Hermanos,

I'm new to the forum, I bought a second hand, never used BSKD. I'm new to smokeing, I tinkered with the ECB 6 or 7 times 5 years ago, but finally gave up. All of the info here is great, but aside from all of the modifications, I couldn't get my smoker up to temp on the initial cure.

Here are the mods, Smoke chamber baffle, raised charcoal box, Heat rope seal, Firebrick base in the smoke box, and I tried with and without a heat sheild in the top of the firebox to divert heat into the smoke box.

I started with 18 lbs of charcoal, and the highest temp I could get on the door was 210. But that was only sustained for about 10 mintues, and it stayed around 150-200 for the next several hours. It was 40 degrees outside, but wind gust up to 25mph. I moved it out of the direct wind, and I used a whellbarrow as a wind screen over the intake. I didn't measure the instide temp beacuse I have a two prong thermometer on order to put down the stack but it hadn't arrived in time.

I thought I had done enough research and prep to get it right. Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.

senorpedro
01-19-2009, 01:18 PM
Sorry, BSKD, need to learn to get my acronyms straight.

garyk1398
01-19-2009, 01:49 PM
Buenos Dias, how did you measure the temp on the door? What kind of gauge are you using? If you haven't already you should head over to Cattle call and introduce yourself to the gang!

senorpedro
01-19-2009, 01:54 PM
I used the stock door thermometer, which from reading the forum, I understand can be considerabley off.

bigabyte
01-19-2009, 02:23 PM
Did you put all 18 pounds of fuel in at once?

senorpedro
01-19-2009, 02:55 PM
Yep, I used two Weber Chimney starters and that pre-lit about 10 lbs, I put it in the charcoal basket closest to the exchange, and put hte other 8 lbs. un-lit near the intanke side. It filled the basket full, 11" x 16" x 7

Kevin
01-19-2009, 05:12 PM
Check your thermo for accuracy and also start with hot water in the pan. I burn mostly sticks in mine. It can be a fuel hog for sure.

garyk1398
01-20-2009, 01:23 AM
Wondering if your intake of air was not fully opened or if the wind was effecting it somehow?