PDA

View Full Version : My new vacuum sealer sucks?

billygbob
01-17-2009, 06:05 PM
BACKGROUND: I really needed (OK, wanted) a vacuum sealer. I read and read and read reviews of the different FoodSavers on the web. Seemed to be a real toss-up on if you'd get something that worked more than once or twice. So, based on the little I could find on the web and a few comments here I went for a Sorbent SnorkelVac. How it worked made sense to my feeble brain, and meant I didn't have to buy expensive bags.

I finally got the vacuum sealer (took 3 weeks)
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr89/billygbob/photo20090117-144452-0011.jpg

And tried the obligatory beer can test

Before:
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr89/billygbob/photo20090117-151222-0013.jpg

After:
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr89/billygbob/photo20090117-154028-0016.jpg

BUT, the dadgum thing just wants to suck the sides of the bag into the 'snorkel'! :confused:

I had to either twist the bag to get it to open up a "path" to the contents (try #1) or had to hold the top of the bag up against the machine before starting the suction (try #2). Try #1 had a good seal; Try #2 had a 'fold' at the seal - you could hear that bag loosing vacuum after a bit ('chunk' sounds as the can was re-expanding).

Does anyone have any ideas on making a 'snorkel' type sealer work? I'd like to like the thing but don't want to have to fit it every time I use it! :icon_frow

Oh, BTW, if anyone needs an empty vacuum packed Bud Light can send me your address - first come first served. :mrgreen:

Dsorgnzd
01-17-2009, 07:13 PM
I have that same sealer (it has a different label, but the same unit) which I bought several years ago. You are right, it has a tendency for the bag to collapse together right in front of the snorkel and block the flow of air out of the bag. I usually try to push the food up close to the snorkel, which tends to hold the bag apart. When I'm doing pulled pork, I always refrigerate it overnight before sealing it, which avoids having juices sucked into the snorkel. Another trick I've heard of is to ball up a little piece of paper towel and stick it in the bag, just in front of the snorkel, to hold the bag apart. Your sealer will work with the Foodsaver type bags (I know, buying those expensive bags defeats the purpose of buying a sealer that doesn't have to use them). When I bought mine, there was a special deal where they included something like 75 free bags - which were Foodsaver bags (with no name on them). I think the manufacturer had been selling them on the side, and Foodsaver made them stop, so they gave away the remaining stock. Anyway, the sealer will work with those bags if you happen to find a good deal on them later on.

BigAl
01-17-2009, 07:22 PM
Now thats funny!

SaucyWench
01-17-2009, 09:01 PM
What's really funny is the instructions! I quote: "Soft pack foots become very convenient to take along when travelling or enjoying outdoor activities when you pack them in a vacuum tight plastie pouch."

And don't forget to pack your kelp tonic in cornpickled beancurd sedative with a divergence of mint!

(sorry, billygbob-huneybun)

jestridge
01-18-2009, 04:50 PM
Suck isnt that what they suppose to do!!

Kevin
01-18-2009, 05:25 PM
It's cold here. Very cold. I was scrounging around in the freezer this morning and found a half rack of ribs that were vacusucked. The date on the bag was 8/4/08. That was about the time I was getting good results with my home brewed Tennessee Red rub and sauce. Put the bag in a large pot of water and let it simmer for an hour or so. Opened it up and the aroma was amazing. My kitchen smelled like smoke. The thoughts of summer and queing entered my mind. My bride and son smelled it instantly and asked if I was out cooking. Nope, too damn cold here, just remnants from last season.

Moral of the story: vacusucked stuff from last summer can bring summer into your home in the middle of winter. Life is good.

Learn how to use that machine and you will be able to capture some of life's truly memorable moments and savor it later when time allows.

yelonutz
01-18-2009, 05:53 PM
When using my snorkel vac, I normally wear a nitrile glove on my left hand. After putting the bag on I place my middle finger on the bottom side under the snorkel and my thumb on top. Then do a little rolling motion. This will create a channel down to the meat. When doing beans, rice or sausage, let the items slide up the bag against the snorkle. Works fantastic. I love mine and buy the bags buy the hundred.

NUTZ

hav
01-18-2009, 07:56 PM
Moral of the story: vacusucked stuff from last summer can bring summer into your home in the middle of winter. Life is good.

Learn how to use that machine and you will be able to capture some of life's truly memorable moments and savor it later when time allows.

How true it is!

I have been vacu-sucking for a few years now, mostly raw meat bought in bulk then portioned out.

But I'll tell you what (hank hill mod) left over Que in one of these bad boys taste pretty close to same day cooking. I take ribs and pulled pork to work and usually thaw it out then nuke it and the folks just cant get enough of that aroma!

And I just love the taste!

billygbob
01-19-2009, 04:34 AM
When using my snorkel vac, I normally wear a nitrile glove on my left hand. After putting the bag on I place my middle finger on the bottom side under the snorkel and my thumb on top. Then do a little rolling motion. This will create a channel down to the meat. When doing beans, rice or sausage, let the items slide up the bag against the snorkle. Works fantastic. I love mine and buy the bags buy the hundred.
NUTZ

Thanks for the very useful glove tip (not just a snotty comment like from the Wench above :wink:). I tried doing that with my bare hand and could not get enough 'traction' to get the sides to move.

Barbarian
01-19-2009, 10:45 AM
Just suck it up and buy a Foodsaver.
Been using mine for three years now and it works great.
Cost of the bags? Comes with the territory and like Kevin said the food comes out great.

bigabyte
01-19-2009, 10:20 PM
Saving away now for a foodsaver later sounds good to me.:wink:

BruceB
01-20-2009, 08:32 AM
Buy the best, you only cry once.

dresselbrew
01-20-2009, 09:52 AM
I looked at that same SnorkelVac. I found a link to it here I think. I ended up just buying the foodsaver that was on sale for $59. I know the foodsavers work and wasn't sure how the snorkel ones worked. I do like the cheap bags part of the snorkelvac.

Divemaster
01-20-2009, 10:02 AM
Just suck it up and buy a Foodsaver.
Been using mine for three years now and it works great.
Cost of the bags? Comes with the territory and like Kevin said the food comes out great.
How true...

I've been using the 'FoodSaver System' for years now... Back when I was cooking for NASCAR, I would cryosuck 12 briskets a race and the only time they let me down was when I didn't put a towel in the bottom of the re-heat pot (melted bag mod).

I would rather spend the money on the bags and know that they work than fight the whole thing... JMHO...